Hosted by Darren Baker
Current Egyptian MBT??
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:02 PM UTC
What is Egypt's current MBT. The crisis over there really inspired me.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi Matt

As far as i know the two main tanks of the egyptian army are the M1 Abrams and the M60

You can find a lot of pics about the egyptian strike

cheers
2IDsecondtonone
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:17 PM UTC
They currently use the M1A1 Abrams and the M60A3 Patton. The Abrams are currently in the process of being upgraded to M1A2 SEP standard. They also have numerous Soviet T-62's and T-55's but they're largely rendered obsolete due to the Abrams/M60.
pilote14
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 432 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:51 PM UTC
536 M1A2 for egyptian army...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC
From the photos posted during the initial stages of the crisis at Missing Lynx, the tanks were M1A1 Abrams tanks, M60A3 and M60A3TTS tanks. The photos above are of the M60A3 without the Tank Thermal Sight. The telltale A3 signs are the crosswind sensor mast, thermal shroud on the main gun and the laser range finder (LRF) blister on the right side of the turret. The non-TTS telltale sign is the early style gunner primary sight cover and the searchlight.

The photo of the tank where the man is shaking the commander's hand is that of the M60A3TTS with the thermal housing for the sight and lack of the searchlight or mount.
DamianR
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Abrams are currently in the process of being upgraded to M1A2 SEP standard.

Misunderstanding. They only will upgrade electronics and some other equipment to M1A2/A2SEP standard, armor package will remain the same (something designed for export, probably based on Burlington armor).

Quoted Text

536 M1A2 for egyptian army...

Any proof, I never saw any single photograph of M1A2 for Egyptian Army.

Maybe they consider upgrade, but if they made any is uncertain.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the info all. A M60A3 is a little dificult to find in 1/35. Think I will go with Tamiya or Italeri's M1A1.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info all. A M60A3 is a little dificult to find in 1/35. Think I will go with Tamiya or Italeri's M1A1.

Not really hard if you know where to look. There is still the Tamiya USMC M60A1 RISE/Passive with ERA (saw one at Hobby Lobby today). Inside the box is everything you need to build an M60A3TTS from the original Tamiya M60A3 kit just marked as unused parts.

Plus Tamiya announced the reissue of their M60A3 kit.

The old Esci M60A3TTS is still available as the Revell of Germany kit too. It is harder to find than the Tamiya USMC M60A1.
2IDsecondtonone
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Misunderstanding. They only will upgrade electronics and some other equipment to M1A2/A2SEP standard, armor package will remain the same (something designed for export, probably based on Burlington armor).

That's because only the US military incorporates Depleted Uranium layers in the Abrams composite armor. All international export models are without the DU layers (i.e. Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Iraq, Kuwait etc.) Apart from the difference in armor, the rest should be of the same SEP specifications.
DamianR
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
Yes but there are probably more differences in armor (different materials, their composition), and in FCS. I know that FCS in at least M1/M1A1 have some kind of memory cards with ammo data, so export variants probably have only specific ammo data, and using other than that specific ammunition, can be problematic.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
Egypt uses the M1A1 Abrams (built locally), the M60A1 and M60A3 TTS - all of which have been in evidence during the recent turmoil. They also have quantities of T-54, T-55 and T-62 tanks which we have not seen in news coverage. I imagine many of these are stored or are with reserve units.
DamianR
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:49 AM UTC
Egyptian M1A1's are not build there, only assembled from knockdown kits in factory nr 200.

Complete hulls, turrets, engines, transmission blocks, FCS and other electronicks, main armament are made or were made in US for Egypt and are sended there via ships or air. Egypt only manufacture only 40% less important parts like road wheels, suspension elements etc.

Quick question to someone who will know (I hope).

Seriel numbers on turrets. I know that M1/M1IP and M1A1 versions have 4 digit number, up from M1A1HA they got that number + U, some after AIM have M letter in place of U. Australian tanks got A letter, Egyptian and Iraqi tanks have E letter, and what letters within serial number have Saudi Arabian and Kuwaiti M1A2's?

Also E? This meant that letter means Export.

Also hulls on US tanks got two types of letters used with serial numbers, D - Detroit and L - Lima, exported tanks also have an letter indicating in what manufacturing center it was made?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:04 AM UTC
@ Fitz... During the first days and while driving back from the airport, I did see two T-54's and two BMP-1's stationed at a roundabout right next to the parade area where Sadat was assassinated. I also saw a really weird looking small sized wheeled vehicle whose top plate had a deep slope towards the front.. I've never seen this vehicle before in my life.. I tried to take a pic of it, but they didn't let me.. it wasn't near any secret military positions or anything!!

Hisham
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:18 AM UTC
They must know something about maintenance since they even had that "dog" M60 blade tank out there....truly amazing!
geotanker
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC
what's funny is i remember being in Doha, Kuwait, and loading 12 M1A1s onto Egyptian lowboys in late 1991. I was figuring the ones on the newscasts are the same ones we helped load, but don't know how many they have. One of the drivers wasn't quite prepared for the M1's power and pretty much jumped the ramps and slammed slightly askew onto the trailer. The guy guiding him on was quite the gymnast un-assing the truck:)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Fitz... During the first days and while driving back from the airport, I did see two T-54's and two BMP-1's stationed at a roundabout right next to the parade area where Sadat was assassinated. I also saw a really weird looking small sized wheeled vehicle whose top plate had a deep slope towards the front.. I've never seen this vehicle before in my life.. I tried to take a pic of it, but they didn't let me.. it wasn't near any secret military positions or anything!!

Hisham

I hoped you would reply. BMP-1s? Surprised they haven't upgraded. I have plenty of options to build, now.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
Well, Egypt broke it's alliance with the "Soviet Union" way back in the seventies, so I guess they stopped getting any "Soviet" vehicles a long time ago.

Since this wasn't a combat situation, I guess they just used whatever vehicles that were available in that vicinity. I'm actually surprised they used the M1's for a mission like this. Maybe they were hoping for the fear factor.

The only T-54's and BMP-1's were the ones I saw out near "Nasr Ciry" and the parade area.. but in the downtown area and Tahrir Square I just saw M-1's, M60's, M-113's and a bunch of "Fahd" wheeled vehicles that are protecting the State TV building.

I was thinking of the possibility of doing a dio, but the problem would be having enough civilian figures in various poses.... but, maybe!

Hisham
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking of the possibility of doing a dio, but the problem would be having enough civilian figures in various poses

Maybe in 1:72nd scale ? Preiser makes some civilian figure sets like these :

Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Oh my, 1/72 scale! With my tired old eyes, I'd need a microscope to see them

Here's a link to a page I found that has some nice pics.. and down at the bottom it has links to a few flickr albums with lots more pics.

http://publicintelligence.net/egyptian-revolution-photos-january-2011/

Maybe you'll find a pic that gives you some inspiration

Hisham
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hisham, I believe the military was simply making a show of force. It is important for any country revolting to have a strong military backbone. This keeps other nations from attempting to surplant the fledgling goverment and adding the country to its empire.
As for your tired old eyes, I'm 28 and just this side of legally blind. I also have mild arthritus from working at a steel mill. So, go buy a microscope and keep on building.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Here's the Fahd in front of "Maspero".. the State TV building.. Apparently, it has a BMP-2 turret.

Hisham
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:29 AM UTC
So, this M60A3 that has been re-released by Tamiya fits this situation?

Hisham
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:06 AM UTC
The re-issue of Tamiya's M60A3 has not been released, yet.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:13 AM UTC
Well, it should be instock at Hobbyeasy at the end of the month

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/15006.html

But.. is it appropriate?

Hisham
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:06 PM UTC
The majority of the photos I have seen are either M1A1 or M60A3s. I would like to do one of the guy sleeping on the roadwheels of the tank. I think I can modify a seated soldier to do this.
 _GOTOTOP