_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Italeri Jagdpanzer IV Ausf. F 1/72
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC
Jan Etal provides a Built-review of the 1/72 scale Sd.Kfz. 162 Jagdpanzer IV Ausf. F from Italeri.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC
Nice review, Jan - As a recently returned to modeling guy, I may have to give some of these Italeri kits a look.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliment Kirk. I have "run into" a number of people recently that either desire to or are returning to the hobby after a long absence. The first question that many ask is if I can recommend a good "starter" kit. At least in my immediate area, Italeri kits seem to have a large presence. I've built a number of ESCI kits in the past and wanted to see how these reincarnations held up. Might I just suggest that you try to find some reviews of the kits before you decide on one to purchase. Some, like this one are not too bad but I have heard horror stories about others being anything but.

Oh, one point I failed to mention in the review was that despite the box art, the model does not display any Zimeritt. It's not really a big issue as the first JPz did not have it applied and after I believe mid 1944 the last batch also did not have it.

Cheers,
Jan
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:53 AM UTC
not my cup of tea but I enjoyed reading it the tracks do look aweful
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Matan, thanks for the comment and yes, compared to other L&L tracks, the kit ones leave a lot to be desired. With that said, the original vinyl tracks are several times worse. Here's some pictures of the original ESCI tracks.

It's no wonder I never finished the first one I built. However, I do believe that MACO are soon to offer replacement Pz-IV tracks and there a few other after market makers. Henk of Holland has a preview of the MACO offering.

Cheers,
Jan
Removed by original poster on 02/20/11 - 01:16:59 (GMT).
Scouteyes
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
I see that the old Monogram panzer commander is still on duty
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:04 PM UTC
Excellent review, Jan

You've provided a clear, acurate description of the model, even though the ESCI/Italeri Jagdpanzer IV is a bit rough.

The L & L tracks Italeri provided are poor compared to todays standards, at least they are better than the original rubberband tracks ESCI produced.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent review, Jan

You've provided a clear, acurate description of the model, even though the ESCI/Italeri Jagdpanzer IV is a bit rough.

Thanks Jeff, as a positive comment always has the ability to keep me carrying on with doing reviews. While rough in certain ways, the basic model has some serious potential for someone wishing to experiment and learn new skills or techniques. I experimented during the build with trying to replicate Zimeritt with Squadron putty on strips of sheet styrene but it proved less than acceptable. One interesting note, the fit of the upper body to the hull was extremely good and secure. A real masochist could have replicated an entire interior and had it viewable due to the way in which the two parts fit so well.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
Informative and intense review, Jan. The interior made with simple plastic pieces really is enlightening. Sneaky too, as you usually do a blog in the Braille Scale area. I'll put this kit down on my list of potential possibilities.

Regards,
Aj
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks AJ but not all my reviews are accompanied by a blog. Besides, about 98% of the build does appear in the build review. I'll post some finished pictures in the Braille Forum as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP