Making my first diorama
DeanKoupe
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi all

I've been modelling armor/aircraft for over a year now,and I would like to place the finished models on a lifelike base/setting.

I have no clue where to start or what to use etc.

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Dean
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi Dean
Maybe you should specify what kind of dio you want to do exactly.
Anyway look here

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=9

I think you'll find a lot of interesting suggestions and tips

cheers
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
Heya Dean
This site is really a one stop shop for all these queries. There are some great dioramas presented step by step and also how to's in the features.
a great starting point is here

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/70

Brad
DeanKoupe
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 09:14 PM UTC
I dont really know the different types you can make, but thanks for the links, ill have a look.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 09:36 PM UTC
Being a beginner in dioramas myself.. my advice to you (and this is what I'm doing) is to try to stay away from things like complex terrain and trees and vegetation.. try to start with something simple in a "city setting" maybe with one of Miniart's small buildings and one vehicle and a couple of figures.. Miniart also has a couple of small diorama bases with cobblestone streets that should get you started.. and then you could build on that and start adding details and stuff and making them more complex.

Well, at least that's how I'm going about it.

Good luck with your projects
Hisham
DeanKoupe
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hey Hisham

Don't you think the correct painting and weathering effects on the mini-art kits are a little to difficult, to achieve the lifelike end result???

Atleast that's what I think..
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Hisham

Don't you think the correct painting and weathering effects on the mini-art kits are a little to difficult, to achieve the lifelike end result???

Atleast that's what I think..

Maybe yes, but your buiding shapes would be very convincing

Try also to look at those tutorial videos

http://sl-blag.blogspot.com/2007/11/gunpla-tutorial-videos.html

They are japanese but are very clear and fun indeed

Hope this is useful

Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 10:40 PM UTC
I can't say it enough. I live this mantra and believe in it very deeply. A beginner diorama maker needs to read a book called "how to build dioramas" by Shep Paine, kalmbach books.

Many have improved on it, and offered newer and better ways of doing more complex and exciting dioramas, but for beginners - this book offers the simple rules and steps to your first diorama, and problem solves alot of the things that can trip up a new comer before they happen. It is a very dated book and does'nt utilise the multitude of accesories now available, but that doesnt matter - in fact it makes it even more useful as it relies on basics.

No point painting like Van Gough if the canvas falls off the frame. Sometimes I think people try using technicaly difficult accesories that are above their skill level, simply because they are so accesible these days. Keep it simple. Avoid buildings and trees, the simplest diorama is a road at an angle across the base, perhaps a shallow wash gutter and some grass marking the edge of a field. Easier still go desert terrain and its all rocks and sand.. the vehicle posed nicely in the middle with a crewman doing something. Semantics may decree this a vignette, but to me its what you described - a simple base that provides context.

I suggest that you seek this book out - second hand copies are usually available cheap on amazon or evil bay.

Good luck

Adam
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
Very sound advice so far from all, and things I can only second with all my convictions.

In my opinion, first dioramas MUST be imperfect! Only so can you feel what needs to be changed to improve.

Improve to what? If you set your goal towards the very best diorama builders in this world, you might well never be satisfied, or worse, stop building dios at all!!

The only important factor is that you are satisfied with your achievement. Don't compare it with others, just compare it to your previous dios (if you want).

Technical skills are one issue (the craftsmanship), but a good idea and an artistic feeling for aspects can sometimes compensate deficient skills. Moreover, technical features can be learned.
Shep Paine's book is really a perfect starter. My first copy is in a sorry state by now for having consulted it that often. I've bought it again...and I will benefit from it as long as I will build dios! And I started some 40 years ago!!

Just get started with planning, use simple forms (cardboard) to check on the balance, and then just have a go at it!!

Always remember: practice makes perfect!!

Good luck!!

Cheers

Romain
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Hisham

Of course it's difficult.. but then again, nothing about this hobby comes easy or looks like you want it to from the first time.. Whether you're building a tank or a whole diorama.. you have to start somewhere.. be happy (not content) with the result you achieved.. and then try to improve on your next project using the experience you got from the first project. The reason I said (not content) is because if you're content then you won't feel like you need to improve

I also second what Adam said about Shep Paine's book.. it is great and has helped me a lot. Even though there are great modelers these days ( Like Adam for example) some of whom I would even describe as artists... Shep Paine will always have a special place in my mind and heart when it comes to this hobby

So, don't be afraid of taking the first step and building that first diorama.. no matter how it turns out.. because the next one will definitely look better.

One final advice... don't approach building that tank or that diorama like your life will depend on the way it turns out

Again, good luck

Hisham
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't say it enough. I live this mantra and believe in it very deeply. A beginner diorama maker needs to read a book called "how to build dioramas" by Shep Paine, kalmbach books.

Me too i read this book and I think it's incredibly useful for the beginners (and not just for them...)
Actually I've lost the mine, but if I find a 2nd hand copy I'll buy for sure
There are lots of important tips inside

Me too I advise you
 _GOTOTOP