_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weathering for tires
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC
Once again I call upon the Masters.I need some help on weathering tires.Never done it before.Washes?Acrylics?Enamels?Sprayed?Brushed?Thanks,J.T.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC
First off, what are you comfortable with? Acrylics or enamel?
google weathering with.... for more info.

I would build & paint the model as a whole, inc tyres, though I usually paint the wheels & tyres off the model as it is easier.

Having had some bad experiences with 'rubber' tyres reacting to plastic rims & enamel paints, I would do the following:
Line the interior of the rims with something, acrylic future is good. paint rims, add rubber tyres, spray wheel with tyre and the whole vehicle with future (use a mask!) & allow to dry.

There are a number of pastel/clay based weathering powders/preparations you can paint or spray on, allow to dry & wipe the dust off, to infill the grooves, etc.
example & tutorial here

collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC
Mr Tucker,
Can you tell us the environment that your vehicle will be posed in?
Example: Muddy, dusty, Africa, Europe, S.E. Asia, snow, ???
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
Jon,Am just starting with acrylics ,so I would have to say I feel more at home with enamels as I have been using them a long time. Tires and rims are assembled but not installed.I agree that they should be done off the rig.
Ian,We are looking at the end of WWII,Battle of Berlin.Dragon Wagon recovering and hauling a Panther F .Late April ,early May,1945.thanks guys.
Ian,Mr. Tucker is a little bit formal for a fellow New Englander don't you think Thanks,Jeff
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 01:39 PM UTC
I usually paint the whole tire the colour of the setting I'm putting it in eg: Eurpoe, I paint the whole tire a "flat earth" colour, then once dry I drybrush either black or a dark rubber colour all around the tire and the tops of the tread. This way you get the dirt colour in the tread and sidewalls.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon, Am just starting with acrylics ,so I would have to say I feel more at home with enamels as I have been using them a long time. Tires and rims are assembled but not installed.I agree that they should be done off the rig.

I'd still keep enamels, esp the thinners away from the tyres, remembering the tyres off my Tamiya LRDG visibly melting over a few weeks....
One of the reasons I've moved away from enamels on my return to the hobby.

If you paint the inside of the rims with acrylic that should be enough of a barrier, though I haven't heard of anyone having probs with the tyres from the Dragon Wagon.
You could spray the tyres with mat acrylic varnish (or Future with Tamiya flatting agent added) to mat finish them & this will also give a good key for 'dirtying up'

I got this rig, and the M26 Pershing.... see where I was going here? but then I found out that the DW needed modifiying before it could carry the Pershing.... more needed

Good luck with your build.
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 03:48 PM UTC
Jeff,
Sorry mate, did not mean to be so stiff!
Have you read F.A.Q.? This book has some excelent tutorials on different methods for weathering wheels. If you do not own a copy, I will transcribe them here.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,
Have you read F.A.Q.? This book has some excelent tutorials on different methods for weathering wheels. If you do not own a copy, I will transcribe them here.

Iain,No I do not have that book,so having it here would be a good thing Jeff
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jeff,

Iain,No I do not have that book,so having it here would be a good thing Jeff

Mig's FAQ book... yes, it is good, seriously, try to buy yourself a copy. You won't regret it. Possibly not easy to find in the USA, but I got a used one through Amazon in the UK.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,

Yes, please transcribe the technique here if possible Iain. I don't own the book (found a few on Amazon for a lot of $$) so anything describing the technique will be welcomed! I'm in the process of weathering an artillery piece and was also thinking about how to get the wheels weathered to my liking.

Thanks,

Rob
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Guys,
I am a bit hesitant to post up pics and such directly copied from the F.A.Q. book as people at Andrea press may not appreciate the fact that I am giving their book away for free.
However, I will be more than happy to share my 2 cents worth......tell me more about the subjects environment & how you plan to weather the rest of the piece? Dusty? Mudy? Clean?
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hello Jeff:

A present for you, someone made the homework for you. I hope it can help you:

http://modellingarticles.blogspot.com/

regards

MIG
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,
I am a bit hesitant to post up pics and such directly copied from the F.A.Q. book as people at Andrea press may not appreciate the fact that I am giving their book away for free.
However, I will be more than happy to share my 2 cents worth......tell me more about the subjects environment & how you plan to weather the rest of the piece? Dusty? Mudy? Clean?

Thanks for the help, Iain! My piece (a Soviet 57mm ZIS-2 anti-tank gun) will be on a setting in the Eastern front, more likely on a dried dirt road with some dried-looking grass outlining it. My plan for the piece itself is to weather the lower parts of the trail arms and base, the spades, and the lower areas of the cradle and gun shield. Basically, I'm envisioning a somewhat reddish dried and dusty environment where all lower areas of the gun itself will be covered in dust as though it has been towed to the area and left there. Sorry, this is the best I can describe for the moment.

Thanks again!

Rob

GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Jeff:

A present for you, someone made the homework for you. I hope it can help you:

http://modellingarticles.blogspot.com/

regards

MIG

Hi Mig,

Man, that's great! Thanks for sharing.

Rob
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thank you, MIG.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 03:02 AM UTC
You can't beat getting this from Mig himself!
thanks,
Sean.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Mig you are a good man ! Thank you for sharing your techniques. By your generous act of sharing you have sold a copy of your F.A.Q. book. Now all I have to do is find one. Thanks ! Tom
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 10:41 PM UTC
Mig,It's Christmas in july! Thank you very much.It never ceases to amaze me how willing you guys are about sharing info.Many thanks,Jeff
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks Mig, by far the best information I have seen on paiting tires.
Thank You Tom
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
Mig,I do have one question.Could I use white glue in place of the acrylic resin Thanks again,Jeff
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mig,I do have one question.Could I use white glue in place of the acrylic resin Thanks again,Jeff

I've just re-read Mig's excelent tutorial, I think the acrylic resin he refers to is acrylic medium, used to add body to paint for sculpting.
Others will no doubt remind me of the artistic equivalents,

you could try PVA, should be compatible, but as ever, test on something non-important!
I think the PVA used as a medium will shrink though, let us know how it goes?
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Please, don't use White Glue, because is totally different and the final look is a bit ugly, like sticky.

I recomend you to use matt acrylic varnish like remplazament. It will work perfectly for wheels and low density mud.

Thank you!

MIG
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please, don't use White Glue, because is totally different and the final look is a bit ugly, like sticky.

I recomend you to use matt acrylic varnish like remplazament. It will work perfectly for wheels and low density mud.

Thank you!

MIG

Sounds good to me,Plan to start doing my wheels in the next few days.Will let you know how they come out.Jeff
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 03:51 AM UTC
After all the help you guys have given me (esp.Mig and Iain) it's only fair that I show you some results.I could not follow the instructions exactly as I did not have all of the products involved.But in true modeler fashion I made do with what I had.Upper lef,tire mounted on rim,rim painted with spray can enamel and sealed with spray can clear matte acrylic,tire with tamiya acrylic.Upper right,tire and wheel dusted with pigment made from artist's pastel stick (burnt umber) and washed with thinner(not fully dry).Lower center,tire washed with tamiya flat earth acrylic very diluted.Istill have to add some mud and stuff but I don't think they are coming out to badly. Once again thank you for the help Jeff
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
Mig;
Thank you for posting that blog! I am getting ready to finish my first "wheelie" an Esci LAV C2 and this is just what I needed. Any plans to post more blog articles? Again many thanks. Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP