_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzerjäger I early (1:35) Dragon model 6258
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hi folks,

this would be a continuation of the model that I started during review. https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/6398

I decided to continue OOB and to try some painting and weathering tricks instead of superdetailing.

This is how it looks now. Tracks are not glued to the model as well as some of the wheels. Actually, I realized that the smartest thing for those Panzer I kits from Dragon would be to assemble the road wheels separately and do not attach suspension to the hull, and glue it after the hull is weathered (smth you would do with a Sherman tank...)

I primed the PE parts with Mr. Metal primer and will start paint work tomorrow (hopefully). The interior was painted and weathered, but you can't see much from the open top (or my images do not show much)

The accessories I am using are from the same kit (Gen2 gear), some are from other Dragon figure kits (MP40 ammo), wooden box is Legend's resin and Jerry can is from Bronco (or Great wall hobby to be correct, it was included in beute Cruiser kit).

I want to do a camoflage - panzergrey + brown and I guess it will look like a vehicle from box art (same unit had several Panzerjagers).
Hope to get feedback from you
Kaz
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
nice looking build , looking forward to your paint job , that's one variant that i would like to add to my Pz 1 shelf
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
thanks, Mike. I will keep posting my progress.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 12:02 PM UTC
Here is my progress. I decided not to prime the model this time. Instead I sprayed tamiya black enamel paint, left if dry overnight and painted white vallejo acrylics in the places I would like to have highlights at the end.

As you can see I also added some tissue on the left fender - paper with PVA glue.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC
Great progress so far !
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:55 AM UTC
I am back, and here is my progress so far.

Yesterday I took Tamiya XF-24 with several drops of buff as a base colour + blue into mixture on several panels. If I would have taken Tamiya German grey - it would be too dark. For brown I took Mr. Hobby Dark earth diluted with 60% Tamiya acrylics thinner.
Then the whole tank was coated with Tamiya clear. Dried overnight and decals transfered today. I am not very happy with decals, but I will fix that with varnishes...

I think I finally managed with my new camera, even though the colours are not absolutely identical to what I see with my eyes.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Roman;

Hi!

Nice 'Jager!

I have this kit on the top of my build pile and am watching your thread with great interest- hoping perhaps to learn about pit-falls (if any) and see what it looks like as a build. My ambition has long been to build basically the entire family of Pz. I variants, and this beastie figures prominently in that list. I, too, plan on doing it in brown-on-gray - a scheme which still seems to rarely grace show tables, even when builders are claiming their builds show "the 1939 Poland campaign" or "France, May 1940" - both periods when this scheme was the official camo for all armor (and also most arty and support vehicles).

Your build looks very COOL, and the brown-on-gray scheme came out pretty convincing! Looks like the kit builds up into a pretty detailed little machine - and your tweaks and add-ons help it come more alive. And I'll guess that you found no really large and awful surprises along the way... Other than perhaps the decals? I think I'll try to skip them myself - usually I do much better with a stencil.

I DO have a serious suggestion for you before you go too much further: it looks like that screen or grill-work "basket" on the back deck has become sporadically filled-in during painting. This wants, I think, to be cleaned up - maybe at this point with a pin pushed thru to un-clog holes?

Nice job so far! I'm looking forward with great anticipation to how it gets weathered!

Cheers!

Bob
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:02 PM UTC
Amazing,i like the model+pictures.

The paint looks very smooth,what airbrush are you using?

Waiting for weathering .
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Really great progress so far Roman, the camo looks great and you know I like those Panzer 1 varients

I have built the late model of this Panzerjager 1 but have this one to look forward too.

S
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I DO have a serious suggestion for you before you go too much further: it looks like that screen or grill-work "basket" on the back deck has become sporadically filled-in during painting. This wants, I think, to be cleaned up - maybe at this point with a pin pushed thru to un-clog holes?

Hi Bob, I agree, those small panzers are very attractive. However, I don't have plans to build them all. I have Ohne aufbau version finished and Flakpanzer waiting in the stash. I agree regading stencils, but it would be difficult for this PzJgAbt insignia.
Regarding the basket - I know, I cleaned it already, but after I took pictures
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing,i like the model+pictures.

Waiting for weathering .

Thanks for watching, Sven. I'll try to do my best!
My airbrush is MR. AIRBRUSH GMW4 DOUBLE ACTION
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really great progress so far Roman, the camo looks great and you know I like those Panzer 1 varients
S

Glad you like it
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This one, I bought it during X-mass sale, so it was around 100 USD.
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=GU%20PS296
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Finally I got some time to work on the model. So...what I did here - MIG Dark wash and after started to work on details - instruments, personal equipment, etc.
Later I did some chipping - first with a lighter base tone and then with hull red. For scratches I used 5/0 brush, fully satisfied.

As you may notice - the cross on the left side is falling from model, so I will have to fix it somehow, or substitute the decal with painting through stencils.

What I afraid now is that after dust all those gentle scratches won't be seen...

Feel free to comment - that's why we do build logs here

this one is too wide to fit the screen. Just click on it

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HgRhzIocomE/Tj1JH6pfkhI/AAAAAAAABC0/0QeDptR-URM/IMGP1137.jpg
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
I worked a bit more on the details and made paint fading effects with oils. After that the model was dullcoated and I started to work on the dust with enamels. Looks good so far, but I will work further since need more tonal variation in this dust.

Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC
I used oils to vary the dust and mud colors, + Vallejo pigments.
The tracks were painted with acrylics, washed with oil rust tones, polished metal is Vallejo "oily steel".
Soot on the exhaust, fuel stains on the engine deck and on transmission cover.
+ one small early war detail - Mauser pistol

Model is finished (I hope so), and I am looking forward to your comments.

LeopardDriver21/21C
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 01:58 PM UTC
Roman
She looks pronominal, I really like the wood detail on the shovel and axe handles. How was this done?
Keep up the good work.
Roy
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Roman
She looks pronominal, I really like the wood detail on the shovel and axe handles. How was this done? Keep up the good work.
Roy

thanks, Roy.
On the shovel and axe handles I did the following - paint with Vallejo dark flesh and after that apply thinned oil paint (burnt sienna). Form the wood grain with a brush as you like.
Kaz
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 04:35 PM UTC
thanx again for sharing this build . sweet , just love those Pz1s .
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 09:50 PM UTC
thanks for watching, Mike!
 _GOTOTOP