Hosted by Darren Baker
Base Warped
snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
So my current dio is being built on a solid wood base 8.5" x 10.5". I recently created the groundwork using sculptamold, keeping the thickness under 1/4". I then let it dry but when I cam back the base had warped! Now when you look at it from the shorter ends, the wood bows up in an arch. The Longer edges are still flat so at least it only warped in one direction, and not something crazy like diagonally. Is it possible to reverse this? Any suggestions or possible fixes??

Thanks!!! This is the first time I've had this happen.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
I have had the same problem with mine

What I have thought to do is take some other wood and fix it to the base making it deeper and using the pressure of the screw to remove the adverse effect of the warpage.

I think it will work Pm me if you want to know more.

Paul
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Paul probably has the best idea.If it was plain unfinished wood I would suggest in the future to first give the whole piece a good coat of paint and let it dry out.That way the moisture is absorbed on both sides and also gives it a seal from other moisture.Should be no warping.They counter act one another.
May help.

Tom
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC
I've had this problem too

I put it down to the heat generated by the landscaping medium I used (plaster in my case) I believe this caused the surface of the wooden base under it to expand then stay there when the plaster set

It bows longditudinally because thats the direction of the grain

I now build my groundwork seperately on a piece of 2mm plasticard cut to the size of the final base. Once it has set I then screw it on to the base

Chris
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC

Here's a handy hint to stop bases warping, only really works on small bases though,

Put a layer of clingfilm over your base first, then put your groundwork on top of that, form it to shape and size, clingfilm is clear, so you can see what your doing size wise, then let it dry.
Then lift off the groundwork carefully, peel the clingfilm away, and then glue your groundwork back onto your base with epoxy resin.

Works a treat if your using a water based groundwork and you dont want to paint or varnish your base first, the clingfilm simply stops the wood absorbing any moisture.

snowgoon81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I think you're on the right track in diagnosing my problem....moisture.

I tried soaking it in hot water for a few minutes, and then screwed it to another piece of wood, we'll see in a few days when I separate the two if it worked.

In the future I'll make sure to seal the wooden base before I get it all wet with groundwork medium.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone!
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
Your solution should work; it did in my case when the exact same thing happened. Now I either buy already sealed bases or seal them myself.
 _GOTOTOP