_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
NEWS
MiniArt's Latest Diorama Base
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 10:03 PM UTC
The latest (well, the third this week!) 1/35th Scale announcement from MiniArt Ltd. is another of their Diorama bases which include a Vac-Form terrrain base, a Vac-Form Building and a set of Injection-Moulded accesories.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 10:27 PM UTC
That's a very nice looking house. I like how they made the wooden floor as part of the base and the walls go around it.

The only "small problem" with some of these bases is that they make the street section a little small so there's not much room for vehicles and such.

Hisham
Mohawk73
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Maybe a nice 'design', but doesn't make me 'feel at home'. It could also be a British, Belgian or Danish house.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 02:39 PM UTC
I would have to agree with Hisham it don't look like there will be much room for a PZ I let alone a Tiger
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 06:21 PM UTC
IMO the house is way to close to the street . No room for a jeep on the street never mind an AFV . And whats the upper window for ? A loft bedroom , there's no floor/ceiling pieces . Sort of like the missing floor in the railside goods shed .Aside from that , a nice looking builing , but it needs some help
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC
Allthough I applaud for every manufacturer creating something from Dutch soil I have to say that this is not really a typical "Dutch" village house. True red brick buildings with rooftiles can be found anywhere in Holland but the style and setup/ layout of the building reminds me of small industrial buildings like workshops and such. Which cna be found in Holland, Belgium, the western part of germany and the scandinavian countries.
As for the building standing too close to the street ... it is not uncommon to find this in the bigger villages and smaller cities in the south of Holland. But the more rural the more gardens you see. We love our gardening
Another thing I noticed was that if Miniart wanted to go for a real Dutch setting they should have used the Herringbone laying pattern for the brick road. That is something you saw over all of Holland

That said. I would probably buy this kit and turn it into a small village workshop. With a boilerroom next to it.

They probably have a team of researchers running around at Miniart but maybe in the future it is an idea to consult people who actually live in the country of choice to get information of the architecture style in the province they want to portray. Small as Holland is, it has a lot of differences in building style and designs from the south to the north. And I guess the same goes up for other countries Inside Europe.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 10:18 PM UTC
I can only come to the same conclusions as Robert: While to foreigners it might look Dutch, to a Dutchman, it certainly doesn't. Especially the lack of the 'herringbone' tiling pattern on the street is an obvious miss.

And it's not that there isn't any photographic material around either! There are literally thousands of sites with old postcards from pretty much every village in the Netherlands during or just before the second world war.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
I think the building looks fine. It is not the first time modellingcampanies are giving their sets peculiar names, so I wouldn't pay much attention to this name either. Wether it is a typically dutch house or not, it doesn't matter. This building could go for anything european.

I have never tried MINIARTS buildings, but does the road section match eachother? I mean, could you combine other sets from their building-range?

Cheers

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
@ Simon
I am not bashing Miniart in any way. In fact I really love the products this company puts out. I have built over 12 buildings from them both for myself and for others who struggled with the Vacuform kits. And their figures are pretty much among the best available in plastic.
Probably nobody outside Holland would notice or even know it. But it lacks the typical "Dutchness". Fellow country members will know what I'm talking about.
As said before it works perfectly well in a more industrial setting in Holland.
The Dutch also used a very typical rooftile in those days. From the pictures I cannot see if they got that worked out. It would be nice if they had..

Oh well I will buy it anyway. Even though it is not typical Dutch I really like the building.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
I just can't place my finger on it, but it seems that the type of masonry and the size of the bricks (both 30's, though bricks in the 30's are darker, brick red, not orange-red) do not match the style of the building (which is more 1900's )...
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 09:26 PM UTC
@Robert: I agree. Miniart's buildings, figures and vehicles are really good, and most welcomed sets.
Some more intact buldings would be nice though instead of all these ruins...
Cheers
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
I like Miniart buildings although I have yet to actually put one together. The one thing I wish they [Miniart] would do is include some sort of a clear plastic sheet for window glass. I don't quite understand why they aren't doing it.
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like Miniart buildings although I have yet to actually put one together. The one thing I wish they [Miniart] would do is include some sort of a clear plastic sheet for window glass. I don't quite understand why they aren't doing it.

I agree Martin, I have 4 Miniart buildings, but only one of them came with a clear sheet of plastic with the instructions calling for it to be cut into pieces to look like broken glass. (it is kit number 35512 The corner diorama base.)

Any way, I love these kits and am glad they keep coming out with new releases!!
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
While the kit looks nice, I have to agree that it does not look like a typical Dutch house. Also, is it just me, or does that roof line look odd? I think it would look much better (and more Dutch) if it was horizontal instead of slanted....
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
@ Mark
The roofline puzzled me as well when I looked at it the first time But the whole building is not standing straight on the base but at an angle. You can see the rooftop (het Nok gedeelte, geen idee hoe ik dit vertalen moet) on the left side of the building. But it is not visible on the right side because of it standing at an angle. So the rooftiles are actually lined straight. The edge of the base makes the top part of the roof indeed look slanted.
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
@Robert: I see what you mean about the angle of the base, but it still looks strange to me .....
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:32 PM UTC
He, Guys,
Complaining about the colours of the bricks?
About the space of the street?
The lack of clear sheet for the windows?
MiniArt shows a new house and suddenly everybody tends to comment. Why not look for the right colour yourself then? Due to the various sources of clay for bricks, many areas in the past had their own specific colour of bricks and tiles. Mix and match the paint and 'ready to go' (e.g. yellow in Friesland, red in Groningen). Give it a break and be (not) happy with it.
Hopefully, MiniArt will sell the roof tiles in a separate box so we can build our own (Dutch) houses.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:54 PM UTC
Paul I think the comments about clear plastic being included for the windows is a very good suggestion, and one I suspect Jim R will pass along.
 _GOTOTOP