Roden 1/72 3.6-47 Omnibus
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hello

Now I have all my old builds (bar one) completed, time to start something new.

This time a fairly recent release, the Roden 3.6-47 Omnibus (model W.39 Ludwig built, early)

This kit is similar to other Roden 1/72 kits, good quality of casting, not much flash, & most parts fit together very well.

The kit shares some of the same sprues & parts used on their Opel Blitz truck, & to a lesser extent on the Opel Blitz Maultier, with the engine, drive train & wheels.

The instructions are of a good quality.

A small set of P.E. Brass is supplied mainly for the roof rack.

Due to the need to paint and complete the interior before the model can be assembled, I've assembled the body shell first, the 4 main pieces fit together with no dramas.

No dramas with assembling with the chassis engine and wheels, though the front wheels can be made movable they have no connection to each other, so I've assembled them in a fixed position. I did lose the small top radiator hose for the engine on the floor, so made another from wire, just in case I decide to assemble this kit with the engine bay open.

I have some progress pics below, quality is not good due to low battery level in the camera, could not use a flash, but you can get some idea from the pictures

will post more when more progress achieved

cheers
Neil

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hello Neil,

Really unusual model, good luck. NH detail has made a PE for it, check it out

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1317313147/NH+Detail+-+Roden%27s+Panzerwerfer+and+Omnibus+Detail+Sets

P.A.
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC
Great kit. I wait new steps.

Regards. Pedro.
skala72
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Neil,

Really unusual model, good luck. NH detail has made a PE for it, check it out
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1317313147/NH+Detail+-+Roden%27s+Panzerwerfer+and+Omnibus+Detail+Sets
P.A.

Very good set of PE. I recommend.

PS. Roden announces a new model Opel Omnibus (#723)

sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
I just have to get me some of these!

Build looks good so far.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
That new variant looks great. I hope they keep putting these out. The command and radio types, and a dedicated ambulance would be great.

Nylyall, the build looks great. Keep it coming.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hello

thanks for the comments

Adam the brass set looks good. I'm building this one from the box, but will probably also get the other bus versions as they are released, I might get the P.E. with the next bus.

No further progress since the last update, but Ilian Filipov spotted an error already.

I glued the rear axles to the bottom of the rear leaf springs, but this should be glued to the top of the springs. The instructions actually show the axle should be fitted that way, but I'm so used to vehicles having the axle fitted the other way that I didnt notice this one is different !

Lucky it is easy to fix. This error would have resulted in a nose down appearance, as the rear end would sit too high, and look wrong.

Thanks Ilian for your eagle eyes

cheers
Neil
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:26 PM UTC
Nice kit!
Waiting for the next steps!
I think it will be a nice and rar model. :-)

Cheers Daniel
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
G'day Neil. Interesting choice! Looking good so far.
Cheers,
Tim
Woschti
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Neil,

nice built. Hope can see more steps of the bus.

Regards

Alex
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hello all

thanks for the comments

I have now fixed my error with the rear axle, and as you can see the rear wheels now sit better in the arch

I have also test fitted the body shell on the chassis and it fits very well with no adjustments needed

I just need to make up the front mudguards, the hood covers , front radiator and grille and bumper, test fit that, then disassemble for painting.

Due to the interior detail, and so many windows, I will need to do all painting before final assembly

I'm still undecided on final paint scheme. This bus will go on my 'Spring 1945' diorama on the street below the BP-44 train.

If I go with the Ambulance (Red Cross) bus, all windows rearward of the two side doors at the front are painted white, including the back window.

I'll post more progress later

cheers
Korpse

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
@Korpse – Niel,

Good progress on your vehicle and good save on the rear axle too! Is the driver’s chair the only item included for the interior? I can just make out the steering wheel in the photograph but is there a dashboard?

~ Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi Eddie

thanks for the query

I think I'd have soon discovered something was wrong with the rear axle when test fitting, and would have gone back to the instructions. Shows to me I should study the instructions very carefully first for all builds, whether its my first or 500th

Yes the dashboard is included and has already been glued to the inside of the body shell. As well as moulded on foot pedals, and a gear changer lever, and another lever for either handbrake or for another ratio of gears, for the driver's area.

I'm assembling this build into 3 major sub components for ease of test fitting and painting, due to all the windows and interior detail, and the need to have painting inside and out finalised before windows can be fitted and the model's finally assembly.

My steps may not exactly align with the suggested sequence of assembly in the instructions.

pic below of dashboard

cheers
Neil

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hello

I have the nose test fitted and its quite a good fit.

I've left myself the option of having one side of the hood open, I think this is why Roden designed the nose in 5 parts - its a good move as the engine area is quite nice and gives the modeller more options to be able to open up one or both hood covers. The hood covers just need a light sanding on the edges to thin the thickness of the plastic so it looks better if open

a little more progress means I now have the 3 sub components now ready, Will paint the interior next, then the outside areas of all 3 parts before final assembly

cheers
N.Lyall

*note that the 'nose' is just sitting in place, just to test fit in the below pictures

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hello

small update on the build

This model of the bus was built from 1939 to 1943. A simplified version wa built in 1944.

Given this bus was made when grey was the overall colour of Wehrmacht vehicles, that will be the base colour, and the colour of the inside.

I have sprayed it grey all over, inside, underneath and outside. The inside will remain this colour, the natural shadow inside will make it look darker inside, and the underneath wil later be sprayed a lightish brown, consistent with the underneath of any vehicle that is a few years old. The outside will probably be german yellow in the end, given this bus is being modelled as a late war survivor.

I'll use this basecoat to help me identify what areas may need a little filer or sanding before german yellow is applied

cheers
Neil

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hello

more progress on the bus

I scraped and sanded some joins, and used liquid superglue to fill some very fine joins.

I attcahed the Headlights, Notek Light, stalk for the Rear Vision Mirror, and the Turn Indicators. I also need to add several other small pieces such as the Width Indicators.

I drilled holes for the Window Wipers, and for the Width Indicators.

These are very fragile and won't be added till after the chassis and body are joined.

I also added the roof rack and rear ladder. Not much difficulty bending these with tweezers, and I achieved the lateral curve by rolling gently around a tin of Humbrol Paint, to get the gentle curves needed on rack and the top part of the ladder .

Below are progress shots, more later

cheers
Neil

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hello

another update

my last photos show me some small improvements needed

as advised earlier, the outside of this vehicle will be yellow (as repainted some time in or after 1943)

below are a few pictures, first one with some paper to prevent overspray going inside the vehicle, and the outside painted in Tamiya Enamel XF-60, Dark Yellow

note that the engine covers are just sitting in place for painting, they will be assembled in the 'open' position

I'll let this coat dry for a couple of days, then do some more progress, including a slight adjustment on the roof rack and rear ladder, and decide if more base coat needed, or maybe overspray in a lighter shade of yellow

cheers
Neil

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
Very nice progress, Neil. From what I've seen on various sites, this kit is not without its issues but you seem to be conquering them. I'll be watching the build of this unique subject progress.

Cheers,
Jan
Woschti
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC
Great Job Neil,

your work ist very fine. Good paint job.

What did you make with the interior? Do you have make some new seats etc.?

Greetings

Alex
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 04:03 AM UTC
I've been watching this build and it's a cool and unique subject. The construction looks clean and the paint really enhances it. You also did a great job on the PE (never my strong point).

Regards,
AJ
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Neil,

As usual your build is going smoothly. Please post more.

P.A.
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Neil,

I could not come for a while the forum, excellent progress, nice job. Continue please, I drink beer enjoy with this topic...

C[ ]
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Neil,

I could not come for a while the forum, excellent progress, nice job. Continue please, I drink beer enjoy with this topic...

@erhntly - Erhan, you're not the only one not showing up here, and I too have a big thrust so I'll enjoy my 40 ounce'r with you, cheers

@ Korpse - Neil, nice progress so far. The opened engine hood is an excellent one and will help brake up that long rectangular, yellow butter bar on wheels , drawing the viewers attention over to the front of the vehicle!

It is really good to see that at least one of these kit manufactures has come to the rescue with an interesting transportation vehicle.

Keep it coming,
~ Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hello

thanks Eddy, Erhan, Alexander, AJB, Alex & Jan for your comments.

Alex K
Quoted Text

What did you make with the interior? Do you have make some new seats etc.?

Alex I'm leaving the interior as stock. If I was opening some doors I'd do some changes but all doors and windows will be closed, so the interior will barely be seen.

Eddy;
Quoted Text

The opened engine hood is an excellent one and will help brake up that long rectangular, yellow butter bar on wheels

Eddy I decided I don't like the yellow too, so have removed most of it back to grey. This bus is meant to be a survivor, still in use at the end of the war, so I will add some scrapes and small dents to the body as well. Looks a lot more interesting this way. I may lightly spray another lighter shade of yellow, or maybe just dirty it up with road grime & dust.

Erhan
Quoted Text

Hi Neil,

Erhan I took a leaf out of your book, and had a beer or two when doing the latest update to the kit. I find having a drink can help to make the build more enjoyable, but please don't anyone follow my example and glad you are enjoying the build.

The roof rack supplied in the kit has all the right structural elements of the real bus, but is cast a bit flat. Real photos show its more rounded. See picture below.

The kit rack actually looks OK properly mounted and is easy to bend and fit, but I decided to make my own from wire, see the parts gathered below to make the roof rack and bend it to shape and mount it. What isnt in the picture is the mini drill bit to drill mounting holes, & various paint bottles, used to roll the wire around to make the curves.

After a bit of trial and error, most of the rack & ear ladder is complete and fitted, see below pictures.

For good reference photos, information and plans of Opel bus variants the below link is very good (its where I got the above black and white picture from)

http://www.pietvanhees.nl/blitzbus/

I'll post more after I get more progress done

cheers
Korpse
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:52 PM UTC
Hello

I have now fixed up some less than perfect joins in the roof rack and access ladder.

I put some scrapes and small dents on the sides and rear, and painted all the bare metal and plastic grey.

I didnt like the way the Tamiya enamal XF-60 looked greenish over the gray,
so I lightly sprayed the body shell with diluted Floquil enamel number F11082, & am much happier with the colour. To me it looks much closer to wartime colour pictures of german vehicles painted yellow. I've intentionally left the paintjob worn and faded looking, this vehicle will be in a 1945 diorama, as a battered survivor.

Pictures below, taken in the same light conditions as the last pictures, which shows how much lighter the body is now. I'll update when more progress done.

cheers
Korpse

_GOTOTOP