Hosted by Darren Baker
General diorama questions,
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
I have recently purchased a resin vignette that includes a middle eastern style wall, my question regarding this is – How can I paint this wall to get the most realistic look for it and how to weather it? (should I spray a dark coat on some parts before applying a white/beige one?)

Second question – How can I make some realistic wet mud? (I have some celluclay, and some still water from Vallejo)

Third question – how can I keep the Vallejo still water from mixing with the acrylic base coat of the surface I am applying it on? and how do I keep it from sticking to glass (if it reaches the side of my dio, I remember some modelers using glass to keep it in the boundaries)

I know some, if not all, of these questions have probably been asked but I don’t know how to answer them.

Thanks'
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Ola Vladimir

Well I don't know THE way to do it nor are they THE answers but here is how I would do it.

Painting a middleeastern wall. If the wall is still separate from the base spray it at a low angle from below with a dark brown color. When that is dry spray it from above with a light beige/sandcolor Run some washes over it with some really dark browns. To get the details out. Finally hit it straight on the top with the Beige/sandcolor lightened with white so you get a highlight on top of the wall. Make sure everything is totally matt and additionally you can add pigments to it.

Wet mud... I have no idea how to work with celluclay but I guess it is roughly the same with spackle which I normally use. Take the celluclay, Mix it with Woodglue and birdcage sand or ground up mud/sand from the garden. For coloring I usually put some artists pigments in it as well. apply it generously to your base. Sprinkle some sand over it. Run some sparewheels over it to create ruts and tiretracks and finaally create the wetlook by painting the whole area with tamiya smoke. If you want sandy desert floor to be wet it usually is enough to paint those areas a much darker shade of the basecolor.

Can't help you on the vallejo water question. I only did some minor tests on how it behaves but not much interesting came out of that.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
for the mud, you could do the ground work out of the celluclay and use the paint color you plan on using for the mud and mix with gloss clearcoat. and apply to the areas you wish. or. just add the color to the area you wish then apply gloss coat to the areas that you want to look like fresh mud
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:30 PM UTC
Thanks’ a lot guy’s for the tip’s.

@ Robert: Thanks for the help, I will be trying them out soon enough!!
@ Jesse: I will have to try that, but I currently have no clearcoat gloss, could Vallejo still water work in it’s place?

Thanks' again!
 _GOTOTOP