_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
DML Horch 108
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 10:29 AM UTC
Jan Etal reviews and builds the Horch 108 from Dragon Models in their 1/72 Armor Pro series.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:38 PM UTC
It'd be even better if scaled up to 1/35. The old Tamiya kit is nice; but.....
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 04:43 AM UTC
Great review, Jan. I can't thank you people that do a build for a review and point out all the potential pitfalls. I've seen these Horch vehicles in a couple of forms at a LHS and wondered about them. While the overall detail looks fantastic, I don't know if I'm quite ready to tackle some of the issues with a complicated suspension let alone trying to make the license plates with individual numbers. It also struck me that the rear body looks weird. I see what looks like doors with two sets of hinges? Will you be completing this in a separate blog?

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
@Headunter506 - Joseph, thanks for noticing this review. As for your comment, what can I say. The manufacturers have saturated the "Lego Scale (1/72 +)" market and are appreciating that small scale is a growing area of interest to many.

@AJB - Thanks for taking the time to comment,AJB. As to your comments and questions. The suspension as supplied in the kit is quite is quite a chore to work on. I have noted in the review all the pitfalls. Your comment also made me realize that I had failed to add a picture of the completed suspension so here it is.

As for the rear body, there does appear to be something amiss. I have looked at hundreds of images of the real thing and models out there. Most show two opening doors at the rear but a couple show a configuration similar to this kit. Here's just one that I found.

[For Discussion Purposes Only.

The vehicle appears to be a later type 1b without the external spare tires. To see more, just do a Google search for "Horch 108 images."

Now as for the decals, they are a pain. It took me two afternoons' spare time to do the two plates. A fellow in my local club was doing similar license plates for a 1/72 Sd Kfz 251 half track and had almost identical experiences as mine with the process. Here are pictures with the two plates complete and some light initial weathering of the vehicle. The top is just dry fit.

As for a separate Blog for these, we'll see. I still have the others I started to finish so this may have to wait for the new year.

Cheers,
Jan
robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Jan
I saw your review first time now. In the original pic are hanging the side doors of the car at the back. There was a special hanger for this purpose. You can save livesaving seconds in danger when you have to leave the car quickly because of Attack.
Regards from Vienna
Robert
 _GOTOTOP