Hosted by Darren Baker
Berlin Streetcar Rails
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
In my copy of the book Lost Berlin, which shows many pictures of inter-war Berlin, there are pictures showing the streets themselves with streetcar rails. I wondered if anyone knew what the size and gauge of said rails are, and if they are the same years ago as present (if Berlin still has streetcars, that is.)
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Tom

Lost Berlin is a good book I have it myself. There is still trams in Berlin but mainly in the east of the city. West Berlin Ripped up the last of them in the 1967. East Berlin kept them going. The distance between the inside edges of the rails of the standard gauge track that they use is 4 ft 8½ in or 1,435 mm

I'm just off to get a new anorak
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom

Lost Berlin is a good book I have it myself. There is still trams in Berlin but mainly in the east of the city. West Berlin Ripped up the last of them in the 1967. East Berlin kept them going. The distance between the inside edges of the rails of the standard gauge track that they use is 4 ft 8½ in or 1,435 mm

I'm just off to get a new anorak

I assume you mean the rails themselves and not the inside channels. I have a bunch of street parts from Hansa Systems USA to make a street with streetcar rails on them, and the book provides enough information for me to complete a project.
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 05:05 AM UTC
yes it is is the inside of the rails. Good luck with your project.
 _GOTOTOP