_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Help with Vehicle Identification
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
We're having trouble figuring out what the vehicle is at the following hyperlink: http://www.warwheels.net/zone.html

This vehicle was photographed in South Africa a few years ago. It looks like it has some similarities with the Rhodesian/Zimbabwean Cougar or Kudu, but it doesn't look much like either. Please email Patrick at [email protected] if you can help with the Ident.
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 05:55 AM UTC
I think the vehicle is known as the Pookie and is a Rhodesian vehicle.

Malcolm
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
Sorry, but on further investigation, it is NOT a Pookie.

Could it be a version of the vehicle known as Leopard?

Malcolm
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Patrick, problem launching email at the mo, but from what I can see it IS a Kudu!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mine+protected+vehicles+in+africa&view=detail&id=F32AF3CD033FE4CE7A7F31B145A0B94E470FCFFF&first=121&FORM=IDFRIR

HTH
P
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could it be a version of the vehicle known as Leopard?

Good guess; I also had initially thought it VERY similar to the Leopard. The reason I finally "dicounted it" was that the Leopard is based on VW components, specifically it being rear engined. This vehicle has a front engine...
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick, problem launching email at the mo, but from what I can see it IS a Kudu!

Nice catch Paul. I had NOT seen this info.

What's interesting though is that the reason i wasn't sure it was a Kudu is it looks VERY different than most other Kudus used by the Rhodesians. BUT, per Cooke/Locke's book "Fighting Vehicles and Weapons of Rhodesia: 1965-80" there is some info (but no good pics) that stated that some Kudu versions were manufactured a bit later including the Kudu "Township","Ram", etc.

So a question remains... what version/variant is this Kudu?

I think I'll be contacting the company that lists the kudu and ask...
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 02:59 PM UTC
Patrick,
I have sincere doubts that it is a "Kudu" as ALL were chassis based (excluding the final Mk10), it must also be remembered that the "Township/Kudette" was not mine-proof and the "Ram" was merely the use of the Nissan Patrol chassis. I have a distant feeling this may be of South African decent as people tend to forget they were also heavily into the development of MRAP vehicles during the same period.
I recall seeing a similar vehicle when we went to pick up our "Casspirs" when I was demining, will hunt through the photos and see if I put any info with them.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have sincere doubts that it is a "Kudu" as ALL were chassis based (excluding the final Mk10), it must also be remembered that the "Township/Kudette" was not mine-proof and the "Ram" was merely the use of the Nissan Patrol chassis.

Roger, You may very be right that this "Kudu" may not be derived from the Rhodesian Kudu... That could easily explain why it just doesn't look like the old timer. I'm still awaiting a reply from Tibs... And, I look forward to seeing any pics you may have...

Finally, you're right about the Ram... there actually is a pic in the Cooke/Locke book and it looks the same as the other Kudu. As for the "Township", I did read that info you stated as well.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 06:09 AM UTC
Based upon more research and info kindly provided by Tibs Tranport, we are pretty sure this vehicle is a Kudu Township/Kudette. For more/ specific info, you can access this hyperlink at WarWheels.Net: http://www.warwheels.net/zone.html
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 10:40 PM UTC
Patrick,
finally found my pic's and the info I was given at the time was that the vehicle in question was referred to as a "Ribbok" and was available as both chassied and monocoque form and used the mechanicals of LR's,Ford F-Series,Toyota and Nissan 4x4's.
Questioned a few ex-SADF members and they called it a "Ribbok" so this vehicle might still sit in the land of ? marks.
Found a couple of links that cloud the issue more:
http://bethlehemssappers.blogspot.com/2011/01/mad-scientists-prototypes.html?zx=56e404ccadc8280e
http://www.africancrisis.co.za/Article.php?ID=49124&
Just chasing up a few more leads that might be able to resolve the identity.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...the vehicle in question was referred to as a "Ribbok" and was available as both chassied and monocoque form and used the mechanicals of LR's,Ford F-Series,Toyota and Nissan 4x4's.
Questioned a few ex-SADF members and they called it a "Ribbok" so this vehicle might still sit in the land of ? marks.

Interesting... Well, I do agree that this question might be back to being unresolved. I'll check on the Ribbok too...

One thought though, whould it be possible that the Kudette and Ribbok are the same vehicle, just renamed?
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 04:50 PM UTC
I showed the images to my brother, and he found the following:

On page 97 of the book "Taming the Landmine" by Peter Stiff, first published in 1986 by Galago Publishing (Pty) Ltd, PO Box 404, Alberton 1450 RSA, there is a photo of a vehicle very much like your images that is called a "Swerwer", or Wanderer, that was a mine protected vehicle used by the South African Police as a general patrol vehicle.

Image used for discusion purposes only.

Here is the webpage for the book Taming the Landmine, which is apparently still available from Galago.

I hope this helps...
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On page 97 of the book "Taming the Landmine" by Peter Stiff, first published in 1986 by Galago Publishing (Pty) Ltd, PO Box 404, Alberton 1450 RSA, there is a photo of a vehicle very much like your images that is called a "Swerwer", or Wanderer, that was a mine protected vehicle used by the South African Police as a general patrol vehicle.

Nice find! Actually, I had heard of the Swerwer before but never seen pics. Again, this vehicle could be the same one as on WarWheels. Geez.... this is getting complicated...
 _GOTOTOP