_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri Iraq 5-ton Guntruck at Nuremberg Show
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Italeri has a drawing of an upcoming Iraq war M923 Guntruck at the Nuremberg show. It will most likely be based on their old M923 5-ton kit. Hopefully they update the really weak tires on it. I hope it comes out soon and is nice. I have been planning on scratching one for a while. I guess I will wait now.

The drawing.

They also show the Land Rover 109 Series III coming back. We'll see if they update it at all as well.

Trumpeter is also showing their armored cab M1083 FMTV as well. Hopefully it will be out soon too.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
YESSSSSSS!!!! The old Land Rover is back... someone has listened to my prayers

The Guntruck looks very nice, too!!

Better start saving for all these nice things

Thanks for posting, Gino.

Hisham
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC
Thanks for putting this up Gino!

That Iraq Gun Truck looks like it could be in interesting build. Hopefully they include a variety of armanent and some nice accessories.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
I don't give much hope to good tires. Italeri seems to always do plastic, which never show good tread detail unless they want to go the (much more expensive) Multi-Slide Mold route. Thankfully Legend is already on top of this with the tires, and will release an upgrade suitable for the kit as well, including suspension upgrade, SOLID air tanks, and missing components on the underside.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't give much hope to good tires. Italeri seems to always do plastic, which never show good tread detail unless they want to go the (much more expensive) Multi-Slide Mold route. Thankfully Legend is already on top of this with the tires, and will release an upgrade suitable for the kit as well, including suspension upgrade, SOLID air tanks, and missing components on the underside.

Sounds great!

Any chanse they go ahead and do the later style MG ring mount as well?

Cheers,
/E
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Upgrade set for this type I have in production for several years.
http://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=322&category_id=19&keyword=35101&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks for putting these up Gino, the gun truck looks promising but like you I do hope they upgrade some of the older kit parts, I suppose a new tool of the 5T kit would be too much to ask for?

Good to see the landies coming back in aswell, they can be found pretty much anywhere so lots of possibilities!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing modelers may not know is that all M939 trucks used the FOUR POSTER machine gun ring. By "FOUR POSTER" I mean four legs support the machine gun ring and AFAIK, no company has made such a ring as an aftermarket item. The Four Poster was what the Army recommended when troops called for the gun ring. You can see a photo of the FOUR POSTER on PMMS's "Wings and Wheels Pubs" link. The M939s didn't use the three poster gun ring found in Tamiya's "WW2 Truck Accessory Set."
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Sweet! Guntrucks are cool- be neat if they do the same with their HEMMT kit. No sign of the M1078 armored cab? but good news on the M1083!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing modelers may not know is that all M939 trucks used the FOUR POSTER machine gun ring. ... The M939s didn't use the three poster gun ring found in Tamiya's "WW2 Truck Accessory Set."

Yes they did/do. They can mount the 4 post mount, but the 3 post is actually more common. My 5 M923A2s in OIF 1 all had the 3 post ring mounts. The ring mount is not exactly the same as the WWII one in the Tamiya set, but is basically the same design. The Italeri kits come with the proper 3 post ring mount for a modern one.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
It looks like this is the guntruck the drawing is depicting, "Ironhorse". Does anyone have more info on it?

Which appaerntly didn't make it...

but it did it's job well, the crew all survived:

"A gun truck, with an armor kit developed by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory researchers and engineers, was struck by an improvised explosive device on March 23, 2005, southwest of Fallujah, Iraq. All seven U.S. soldiers in the vehicle at the time of the attack walked away unharmed."

The armor is a standard protective kit for the cab and bed of the trucks, like these.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Upgrade set for this type I have in production for several years.
http://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=322&category_id=19&keyword=35101&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79

I did not know that! As you know, I have a lot of your stuff. I must have missed these. Great stuff as usual.

Now, as for Iron Horse-
I don't know anything about the truck that can't be Googled, but having lived in Ft. Worth, and being pretty heavy into custom bikes now, I can say this: Thanks to a certain "friend" of the modeling community, the release of the recent Maxx Pro was almost sabotaged thanks to his efforts at pointing out copyright issues to the manufacturer of the real thing. I am not that guy. But I would caution Italeri ahead of time to make that Iron Horse decal in several parts. The horsehead logo is similar enough to American Iron Horse's logo to create possible issues. Soldiers can paint whatever they wish, Monster logos, Nike, you name it. It only brings noteriety to the companies depicted. I'm no lawyer, but I'd be careful about depicting that same logo in a kit, even if it is historically accurate, in its entirety. As I said, just make it in parts.
otherwise our "Panzer" friend might want to rat you out.
What, dude? Going out of business? Karma strikes again.

Speaking of going out of business - American Iron Horse did as well, but I'm sure there are still copyright issues.

One more fun fact: While dudes were there buying their leftover motors and trannys, my friends were buying everything else no one wanted- (at pennies on the dollar) nuts, bolts, threaded bungs, tank brackets, reels of wire, even rolls of shrink wrap.
While everyone else has used their motors up long ago, we almost NEVER need to go looking for those last minute items to complete a build. Now there's some info on Iron Horse I bet no one saw coming.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 12:06 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

One thing modelers may not know is that all M939 trucks used the FOUR POSTER machine gun ring. ... The M939s didn't use the three poster gun ring found in Tamiya's "WW2 Truck Accessory Set."

Yes they did/do. They can mount the 4 post mount, but the 3 post is actually more common. My 5 M923A2s in OIF 1 all had the 3 post ring mounts. The ring mount is not exactly the same as the WWII one in the Tamiya set, but is basically the same design. The Italeri kits come with the proper 3 post ring mount for a modern one.

-------
I stand (sit) corrected. Thanks, Gino.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
I know this is an old thread, but I've just received Martola webstore newsletter and it looks like Italeri have changed their mind about which guntruck to replicate...

Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 02:18 AM UTC
The very first pic says the item number is 6503 and this one is 6503S... could the S mean this is another version.. or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Still, the one from Martola doesn't look bad either

I'm still waiting for the re-release of the old Land Rover

Hisham
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 02:32 AM UTC
Why does Trumpeter do this? Announce an upcoming release, and then 2 or 3 years later... NOTHING! I mean I do appreciate all their fantastic kits.

Like the 1/16th SU-100. I've been waitng 4 years now. I guess I'll just give up and move on with my 1/16th SU-85 instead.

~ Jeff
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The very first pic says the item number is 6503 and this one is 6503S... could the S mean this is another version.. or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

I'm afraid it's just wishful thinking Hisham...There's no "S" in Martola's own item reference :

http://www.martola.com.pl/en629/produkty45522/m923_us_armoured_gun_truck

Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
Oh well... but like I said, this one isn't bad really.

I just wish they would re-release the old Land Rovers already. They already have the moulds and everything.. what's taking so long?

Hisham
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
As to the "New" Italeri M923 guntruck, I hope it is not what is showing on the Martola newsletter. That would be a letdown. I can build hat myself easily with a few sheets of 0.020 stryrene. I guess it is back to scratch-building the previously shown guntruck with the actual armor kit as oppose dto add on plate steen made at unit level, a.k.a. hillbilly armor.
 _GOTOTOP