Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The M-ATV Discussion Thread
prophecy
Visit this Community
Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 07:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the picture.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
While browsing some pictures on photo bucket, i've come across a few M-ATV's that seem to have some kind of properly fabricated sun shade? for the O-GPK turret. Makes for quite an interesting feature:

TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC
made by IbisTek, they are around.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC
Steve, are Eagle mounts present on M-Atv's? Some pictures would be nice. Also I plan on adding some equipment to the truck, I was planning on using this kit. http://www.proartmodels.be/productgallery/product_gal_048.html
can someone identify what the different components are
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 01:27 PM UTC
Yes, M-ATV's use Eagle Mounts. Check my O-GPK super thread for pictures. The link is in this thread. As to that set, there are lots of fire fighting tools, fire blankets, pack mounted fire extinguisher, jack, backboard. I think those are supposed to be Javelin missiles in transport mode, however there is no CLU which makes sense.

About the only things I can think of being useful from that set on an M-ATV are the Javelins, the fire blanket container, and the back board. Te cones are pretty ubiquitous, but our squadron hardly ever carried them. The rest is more Iraq centric due to the fire fighting gear.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 01:34 PM UTC
Thanks Steve, what are the two larger square cases used for and the taller containers. Also would this be appropriate for an Eagle mount
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=LRE35018
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 01:47 PM UTC
That long case looks like the case for a Stinger missile. The two tall narrow things are coolers with a spigot, standard Army issue. The first square box is also for food. Hot meals get served in them. The other square one looks like a cooler of some kind.

That could work, for an eagle mount. I have that set as a matter of fact. It all depends on the truck you are building and where it is. My suggestion, find a picture of a truck you want and go off that.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC
Would stinger missiles be carried in a MATV and how would the Javelins be carried in an MATV
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would stinger missiles be carried in a MATV and how would the Javelins be carried in an MATV

Despite the AF's ever present fears that preclude them from flying effective CAS under 20,000 feet, the Taliban Air Force has yet to materialize. So no, stingers have no place in an M-ATV set in Afghanistan. On maneuvers stateside, I guess it's possible.

Javelins would be tossed in the back and tied down to something so they don't bump out. Either that or carried in a trailer towed behind the truck. Only time I ever saw a Javelin in an M-ATV, it was literally just tossed in the back, and that was unsat. Put it in the back, and tie it down to something. My Javelins were stowed inside an RG-31, never in an M-ATV so I can only speak to how I would do it.
prophecy
Visit this Community
Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hello,

I am searching for some detail pictures of the box outside on the rear of the cabin. I think its for the Duke system or?

Andreas
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 05:18 PM UTC
WoW!!! Guys This "Discussion Thread" has a wealth of information and photos'., that will give grate ideas. Some of you (Like me) that are new to this post, go back to page 1. to see some really cool looking photo on this suject. You can get some grate ideas for your projects.

So I hope this post stays around for some time.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 06:58 PM UTC
Blast is selling a new " radio set" for M-ATV :

Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC
^ pascal the Kinectic kit includes all of the radios shown above, one of the only highlights of the Kinetic kit
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

^ pascal the Kinectic kit includes all of the radios shown above, one of the only highlights of the Kinetic kit

Perharps, but the Panda model kit didn't included these items. Otherwise the Blast radio are surely better detailled than the Kinetic one ?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, actually Kinetic include part of the radios but not complete units. They missed out the receiver and transmitter units on all of the radios, and just included the vehicular mounts. Therefor Kinetic's set-up isn't much use for a vehicle in the field, and of course whilst I commend them for including these items the detail is soft.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, actually Kinetic include part of the radios but not complete units. They missed out the receiver and transmitter units on all of the radios, and just included the vehicular mounts. Therefor Kinetic's set-up isn't much use for a vehicle in the field, and of course whilst I commend them for including these items the detail is soft.

I know the receivers and transmitters are missing, but simply having the majority of the radio unit is nice, and in my opinion is one of the few high points in a rather poor kit
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Steve, how was ammo for the main weapon (.50 cal or mk. 19) stored inside the vehicle? As well where was ammo for the eagle mounted m240's and m249's carried?
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve, how was ammo for the main weapon (.50 cal or mk. 19) stored inside the vehicle? As well where was ammo for the eagle mounted m240's and m249's carried?

There is virtually no room inside an M-ATV. I seem to recall there is a little rack similar to the one in a HMMWV that you can tie down 4 .50 cal cans, but I rarely saw that used. All our guys stowed their ammo in the turret bustle rack. That would give you plenty of ready ammo to get you through the initial contact. If you needed more past that it was stowed in the rear bed and tied down and a dismount or your TC or someone else could get out and grab it and pass it up to you. Most TIC's didn't last that long for the most part.

Also keep in mind how you much ready ammo you had on tap. For example, if you had an M2 mounted, everyone I know, including myself used a Mk19 ammo can mounted on the Mk-93 mount and that gave me 200 rounds of API on my primary weapon, though some guys used the larger 40mm can which doubled your initial load of .50 cal and I knew one guy who used a modified 20mm ammo can with an extension welded on. I didn't do this as it was more difficult to reload and all that weight bends the Mk-93 mount.

My eagle mounted 240 had 200 ready rounds, same with a SAW if that was mounted instead and then I had my M4 as a back up as well as an M9 and frags, more importantly I had at least 3 other trucks ready to rain scunion upon those who chose to engage us and cover me while I reloaded.

If you check out my O-GPK thread everything I just said is repeated and illustrated with pictures.

Chris Green's walk around also has pictures of an M-ATV with ammo stowed inside.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/4093
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Blast is selling a new " radio set" for M-ATV :

If you use this set, don't use this picture as a painting guide. The green is too faded, and the radios are not black in real life. MBITR's are black, HARRIS radios (the one's in the set) are green.

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC
Just started my Panda MATV this weekend and I take back every nice thing I said about this kit. There is not a single part so far that does not need a ton of work, removal of flash, huge sprue attachment points, work just to make a part fit to another part, whew, I can go on. But, once worked and assembled it does look bad-ass! I got the frame and drive train done over the course of two days and it's very impressive looking.
CB1000h
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi all
Been looking to get one of these kits probably the Kinetics with Def wheels
Is there a color option for in country vehicles other than the sand. I remember seeing in a web search a NATO camoed unit but I don't recall if it was State side or in country. I do know it was USMC.

Thanks
Wayne
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 01:42 AM UTC
No. That is your only option. The NATO Camo trucks were USMC trucks and I think was just an experiment as that's the only time I've seen evidence of it being done. Perhaps as we begin to bring them stateside and integrate them into the force they might get repainted but who knows.

If you're looking for ways to make your truck stand out, look for some of the more colorful and interesting "truck art" that's out there.
CB1000h
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 01:59 AM UTC
Any photos of that Steve?
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any photos of that Steve?

My money is on Frenchy, he's got photos of everything. If not I might have them saved on my PC at home, so I'll check when I get home.