Photo Diorama
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hello everyone!

I have recently felt the urge to take up modelling in 1:35 scale again. It has been several years since I built anything in that huge scale, preferring HO or O scale.

One of my joys of building a model is photographing it when it is complete, sharing the photo on the web and being able to look at it whenever I want. Therefore, my first priority returning to 1:35 scale was to build a simple diorama or scenic base to serve as a place to photograph my models on.

So far, I have come up with this:

Sorry about the badly painted figures, they are very old.

This is how it looks in total, with both a cobblestone road, a main railroad line and an old WWI 600mm or 2' narrow gauge railroad in the middle, making it possible to display a large variety of models.

Here's a closeup of the old narrow gauge track, that almost completely disappears in the grass.

...and finally a shot of a Krupp Protze on the cobblestone road. More images of the diorama, its construction and my photo technique are on my blog: http://oscalemodel.com/military-modelling/photo-diorama-for-135-scale-models

Any ideas on how to improve the photo diorama? Thanks :-)
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
great looking diorama, love the grass. Wish I could do grass like that.. what is your secret?
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
Occam: Looks great and blends to the background very well.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

great looking diorama, love the grass. Wish I could do grass like that.. what is your secret?

Thanks!

It's really quite simple.

First I covered everything with dried dirt and glued it down using a mix of glue, water and paint. After that the dio looked like the image above.

After everything had dried, I applied white glue with a brush where I wanted the tall grass. Then I applied the static grass with an electrostatic device to make the strands stand up. My device comes from Heki, but Noch and other companies makes similar devices for static grass.

I used three different colours of static grass in various lengths up to 6 mm to give some variation. When I get around to it, I will most likely drybrush it with some lighter green to create even more variation.

I hope this helps, the process really is quite simple and easy
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 04:39 PM UTC
Amazing scene!

A little bit chipping, but not too much, on the Krupp-Protze truck may give extra detail. A sling for the MP38/40 carried by the soldat may be added, too.

Otherwise, what an outstanding job! Congratulations!

Anyway, where do you buy such 1/35 railroad kit in your country, I mean, via online purchase or local stores?
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 04:51 PM UTC
Very nice work; multipurpose and a well blended back-ground.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi Occam

I do like your sunny, grassy scenes! What are you using for the backdrop? I like your multi-purpose base.
mcsixtyfive
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
great idea, and good job!
it'really a nice idea, to have at hand a base ready to shoot on some pictures of the last model....

by the way, I assembled my own applicator for static grass using an electric mosquito racket and a medium size kitchen strainer, minimum expense, maximum result!
 _GOTOTOP