_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 01:56 PM UTC
Was looking at the fun our neighbors with their wonderful flying nostalgic Matchbox planes are having. So why not have our own fun. What I am suggesting is an true nostalgic Matchbox Armor campaign.

Rules would be:
- no aftermarket, strictly OOB
- exception to rule above would be allowing builder to dress up diorama base.
- kit must use kit diorama base, photo of AFV on base must be submitted.
- and most important, have fun, remember what it was like to build these as kids.

What do you think?? This could be a short run fun campaign.

minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:06 AM UTC
Sgt.Ram,
We had one, just for their 1/76 armor kits, a couple of years ago and it was a great success and quite fun. I would be open to another one and if it included the plane-thingy folks - the more the merrier! I know that, like many others, I am 'booked' for campaigns until the last quarterend of the year.

How about some of the other 'Matchbox refugees' out there from the last campaign?

Thanks,
Stephen
Nucks
Visit this Community
Zambia
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:24 PM UTC
I'm interested in this. I've never done a campaign before but as it happens, I have a few of these on the bench right now!

Put me down as a YES!
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Im taking part in the Aeroscale cmpaign and its realy fun. Adding some armour would be great. I already have some Revell re-releases in the stash waiting to be build.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 11:31 AM UTC
Kevin, this is the one that Stephen refers to... Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign, it was run by your compatriot Jan Etal and ran in the first half of 2010. Although not every single kit was hit I think we managed almost all of them - I know the LRDG set was one that was missed. There is discussion of an Airfix braille armour campaign... floating around... somewhere... is there?
Then there is the Kitmaker pre-1976 Airfix campaign later this year which has a similar nostalgia theme.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
I just noticed this proposal and has it really been that long ago that we had the Matchbox Nostalgia Campaign? Man, I think that I still have nightmares about it!

@SgtRam Kevin.
IF this were to come about then it would basically be a Son of MNC or MNC II campaign. If that were the case then you might consider sticking with the original rules as follows:

1. Either an original Matchbox kit or a Revell re-release of a former Matchbox vehicle kit are permissible. Construction may begin on or after the launch date and not prior. If in doubt, please ask in the appropriate forum.

2. Out of box (OOB) builds are encouraged. Deviations from OOB builds should be limited and represent minimal variation from the original. No after-market additions.

3. The original bases for these kits must appear with the completed model. Minor embellishments of the bases such as foliage, minor additional terrain features, grasses or soil/dirt are permissible.

4. The modeller is permitted to make minor corrections or additions to enhance the model. These can include but are not limited to clear windshields/windows, antennas, resizing of small oversized pieces (ie-machinegun barrels, grab handles) and external stowage. If in doubt, ask.

5. Use of original decals is encouraged but not mandatory.

6. Enjoy this blast from the past and above all HAVE FUN.

Might I also suggest for consideration that finishing of uncompleted kits be permitted. For unfinished kits the requirement could be for two or three would need to be completed to qualify for a ribbon. As for duration, don't make the mistake I did in thinking that this could be a short campaign. I originally thought that four months would be sufficient to build these simple kits but after three it became evident that many people were lagging behind due to unforeseen difficulties.

@firstcircle Matthew,
Thanks for the plug and the only two kits that were missed in that campaign were the LRDG Chevrolet and Jeep (PK-173) and the Diamond ‘T’ Prime Mover (PK-174). IIRC, both were under construction but unfortunate circumstances for the builders left them uncompleted.

I'll be happy to support and promote this campaign if we can at least get enough interested parties. I believe that I have most of the material from the last campaign, including eligible kits, still on record on one of my hard drives.

Cheers,
Jan
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi,
Matchbox Campaign ... good idea
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
Sounds like something that's right up my alley. I've got two unstarted kits plus another two about half complete so I vote for a completion aspect also.

Regards,
AJ
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 11:25 PM UTC
Right on! Can I join and finish my LRDG Kit? It's only very little started with the jeep and I'd really like to finish it for this Campaign. However, I don't have time for two for sure...

Cheers!
Stefan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 11:51 PM UTC
Yep, I could be easily persuaded to join this campaign
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
I'll sign up and finish something One thing though although no AM is allowed surely some scratchbuild work should be allowed as long as it's not converting the AFV just improving it no?

Jaymes
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
Well,

So by my tallying here is the list of those that have so far expressed interest.

Dangeroo
erhntly
firstcircle
minas-ithil
Naseby
newfish
Nucks
sabredog
SgtRam
tread_geek
weathering_one

If I may be so bold, we seem to have some votes for this also having a finishing component. Any other potential desires, stipulations or just plain wishes?

Cheers,
Jan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Looks great, now I guess we need to pick a start date with the Campaign guru, and look forward to building. I will look for ideas for a ribbon, unless someone has any ideas.

I am real excited about this, almost feel like a kid again with the first Matchbox kit, it has been a real long time since I have built one.

Thanks all for expressing interest, and hopefully we can pick up some more along the way.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
OMG...it sounds like it's happening already. Strange, the kits that didn't make the cut in MBNC1, the LRDG has already been declared, and the remaining unbuilt MB kit in my stash is the Diamond T. It must be fate.
You're right Kevin, there is the simple joy of these kits , away from all the new releases, questions of accuracy, new techniques, and aftermarket parts.
Any thoughts on timing? And everyone is up for pure MB only?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
I have submitted the Campaign request form, and suggested Sept 2012 to Feb 2013. With summer coming, things tend to slow down a little, and it give time for more people to scour ebay for kits....

I would like to put a BIG thanks out to Jan for resurrecting this campaign. When I first put it out there, there was little interest, but Jan pulled it back up and drove it a little. So Jan...THANKS!!!!!

Kevin
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:01 PM UTC
Sounds a good timeframe to me.

I just have to go through my Matchbox AFV stash to pick a kit to do.

choices choices.....
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:56 PM UTC
Just to clarify, are partial builds allowed? (Someone always asks)
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 01:06 AM UTC
You can start with a partial build, as long as there is a photo of the start. But to get ribbon, all builds must be complete and photo added to campaign section in Photo gallery.

ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 06:37 PM UTC
ChaosXVI from Manila signing up!

I also joined in 2010 ( that was that long ago already?) but failed to finish my Challenger I. Should this Campaign push through, I'll start something new. I lost some parts of the Challenger already. Just count me in please.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:35 PM UTC
Campaign approved. Here's the link for enlisting.
Matchbox AFV Nostalgia 2012
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 11:02 PM UTC
Great news, thanks alot Gary.

Well folks it is a go, now just to wait and gather up those old Matchbox kits. I will look at designing a ribbon this week, unless someone has an idea.

thanks all!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have submitted the Campaign request form, and suggested Sept 2012 to Feb 2013. With summer coming, things tend to slow down a little, and it give time for more people to scour ebay for kits....

Kevin, as campaign leader you should be able to edit the rules on the enlistment page (as well a couple of other things). Might I strongly suggest that you directly mention whether or not the Revell re-releases are legitimate candidates for this campaign on that page. This question arose so many times during the first MB campaign that I specifically added it to the rules and even then it was still occasionally asked.

Quoted Text

I would like to put a BIG thanks out to Jan for resurrecting this campaign. When I first put it out there, there was little interest, but Jan pulled it back up and drove it a little. So Jan...THANKS!!!!!

Kevin

If you only knew how many times I have received PM's or even been asked in non related threads when another Matchbox campaign would be run! BTW, if you require a list of eligible kits (both Matchbox & Revell), they haunt the thread archives HERE

I have a few unused banners on file from the first campaign that could be of use for "advertising" the campaign. Here is one in the proper dimensions for a start.

Similarly, there were also a number of ribbon designs that weren't used so here is a sample.

Since there is the Aeroscale campaign that is using a knockoff of the original award, I changed the above to differentiate it from that one. The green bars on the ends are meant to signify or imply a ground campaign.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 04:28 AM UTC
So I have just signed up, and it appears I am the only one... what's that about

Jan, I presume your ribbon just says "MATCHBOX"... may I suggest that the ribbon and banner should have some element of it being Matchbox Nostalgia 2 in order to differentiate it from the, ahem, "original" MBNC?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan, I presume your ribbon just says "MATCHBOX"... may I suggest that the ribbon and banner should have some element of it being Matchbox Nostalgia 2 in order to differentiate it from the, ahem, "original" MBNC?

Yes Matthew, it is a scanned reduction of the original box logo "Matchbox" in the 50 X 20 pixel size required. How about these two options:

As for enlistment, I am waiting to see what Kevin's decision is on the Revell aspect. I have Revell repops in the stash but only one original and I was saving that for a future "anything goes" type campaign.

Cheers,
Jan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Jan

I like this one.

As for the Revell re-pops, I guess I am not opposed to it. The re-pops did not come with the diorama bases, but I guess we could live with out that for those who wish to stray from the original. I am actually eyeing 4 kits on ebay right now that I may snag up.

_GOTOTOP