Hosted by Richard S.
T2K Where is everyone?
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:05 AM UTC
I need some input on my F-150 Technical / Guntruck.

Here's the setup- The F150 is operating in a rural, wooded area of Michigan. There are roads, some 2-track trails, farm land, woods, etc. A small city is in the area. Michigan has great summers and COLD winters, especially in this area. It is during a period of "civil war", after the nuclear strikes have ended. Gangs from the urban areas intent on expanding their influence are attacking from time to time. The gangs so far have no armored vehicles but do have a fair amount of firepower.

The truck is setup to battle "soft" targets. It is armed with a .50 cal M2HB ala technical style.

Now for the question...would you remove the windshield? This would allow for the passenger to fire forward (obviously).

Opinions requested!

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AND I REALLY want to see this as an annual or ongoing kind of thing!

Gunnie- What was the reference to Tom Clancy? And is there a chance of the Red Dawn Campaign coming soon??

I've been mulling this over in my mind over the last few days. Red Dawn is a go - I just would like some thoughts on timing that coincides with T2K 2004. Since it's now okay to build T2K subjects all year round - and have them eligible for inclusion in the annual T2K activity - we really just need to decide whether or not the present time frame works.

T2K annually every Oktober 1 through December 31.

If this works, then we can set a time up for Red Dawn - like perhaps late winter-early spring.

The Tom Clancy idea (excellent) would be us as a group deciding to select a Tom Clancy novel (The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, The Sum of All Fears, etc) as a focus and everyone build something mentioned, existing at that time, or showcased in the novel. It could work out to be a summertime warm-up for the T2K activity in the fall.

My thoughts...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
O.K......I know I've said it before, but......our Gunnie's a genius!! Can this guy cook or what?
Not only is he hosting the T2K Campaign, but he's also just added another humdinger with the official anouncment of the 'Red Dawn Campaign' (great fodder in there, in fact Jaster could re-enter his 'technical' ) On TOP of that, he's cooked up another superb idea in the form of a Tom Clancy build!!!!!
Geeeeeeeez.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I need some input on my F-150 Technical / Guntruck.

....would you remove the windshield? This would allow for the passenger to fire forward (obviously).

Opinions requested!

Removal of the windshield is highly recommended. And it is more to remove the danger of the windshield 'exploding' in the drivers face underfire, than to facilitate forward firing by the driver (although that would be an advantage as well I suppose).
Additionally, [b]all]/b] glass is normally taken out of 'technicals' for the same reason. Besides, under those rather demanding circumstances the glass wouldn't last long enough to get dirty!!
HTH.

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
I agree with Tread, Jas - I'd ditch the windshield too. I imagined corrguated aluminum roofing with vision slits cut into it being fashioned by the Technical's Crew for protection in the Cab Area.

Gunnie
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the input on the windshield...I was hoping to avoid having to make one and wanted to be sure my eliminating it was not just me looking for the easy route! The original kit has a black plastic "windshield". it wouldn't have even worked for a vacuform template since the truck body has been sliced and diced.

Now...off to the "junkyard" to see what can be cobbled on for some protection from the elements and small arms.

A Tom Clancy Campaign- COOL!! Perhaps a tweak to it could be to have the entrants provide a reference from one of the books as a part of their entry! Just thinking "out loud".

And the Red Dawn is a go too! Great. My F-150 Technical/ Guntruck won't work (and I wouldn't do it anyhow) since it is a '2000 F-150 and RD takes place in the mid eighties IIRC.

Campaign timing as you set forth Gunnie sounds fine. I'd say to keep T2K where it is (that way in will become a "tradition", late winter for RD and summer for Clancy sounds fine!

So, let me see, I have T2K 2003 in progress, RD and TC coming up, followed by T2K 2004. I have to find a spot in there to do a couple of "serious" builds. I have a LAV that I want to do for a friend that was a LAR Co. Cmdr. and I really want to get a OIF build or 2 done.

Back to the "junkyard". Lots to do!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
Everyone have a safe Halloween if you partake in any goulish festivities. I'm gonna hunker down and ravage some plastic for T2K!

Gunnie
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 01:35 PM UTC
'BOUT TIME I UPLOADED THE PIX! hehehehehe!

Presenting, the T-2000 Black Eagle:

The T-2000 Black Eagle has the following:

1) Kaktus-B ERA
2) bustle mounted autoloader
3) 152mm smoothbore gun capable of firing the Refleks ATGM/Anti-Helo SAM
4) Shtora missile jammers
5) Arena active defense system (think Claymore mines being launched in the air to form a wall of steel fragments against an incoming ATGM)
6) Turbine engine (yeeeeeeck gazzzzzzz guzzler)
7) 14.7mm co-axial MG
8) 12 smoke grenade launchers mounted ala Ukraine's T84

So far, I haven't installed yet the Arena cartridges nor the Shtora jammers but will in due time. The Kaktus-B ERA is integrated into the armor, not in blocks like that installed in older Soviet tanks as recent as the T-80BV.

This be the Arena's millimetric-wave radar which detects incoming ATGMs (and sabot rounds I think). Once an ATGM has been detected, a cartridge is launched at an angle and explodes, creating a wall of steel fragments that would destroy the ATGM. This is a sheet-styrene construction. The long-ish tube at the rear is the wind sensor.

This be one of the smoke grenade launcher "complex" similar to that installed on Ukraine's T84. The T-2000 has 12 smoke grenade launchers. These are made from 5/32 (I think) styrene tubes, the shield is sheet styrene.

Here be the "Three Kings." From L-R: Leopard 3, T-2000 Black Eagle, and the M1A2E1 Thunderbolt. 140mm, 152mm, and 155mm guns respectively:

I'm hoping to build a Fourth King hehehehe

I gotta go now. I'll upload later some in-progress shots of the Black Eagle... as well as OPFOR's answer to Keenan's Sumbo hehehehehe

EDIT: BTW, re:Tom Clancy campaign, hehehe I hope KFMagee would join and build the shower scene in Red Storm Rising where Vigdis goes on a shower at the waterfalls with Lt. Edwards guarding her hehehehe
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
I can't stop laughing in glee!

If you didn't know the Gauntlet has been thrown down - the above post tells it all! :-)
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 04:12 PM UTC
GIB-
Wow! What a lineup- VERY impressive! I'm in awe of your productivity. All of them look great- Show us some up close shot of the Leo3 and more of your M1...you fans are clamoring!

Nice work!
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:36 PM UTC
Looking for some ideas from you all!

I’m building a diorama for the Twilight 2000 Campaign. It contains a building front that extends back for a few inches. The building is NOT destroyed. It has an interior...no problem except that how do I model the back of the building where it ends?? Do I cap it off?? Do I just leave it open like a giant saw cut it off??

I’ve been wrestling with this one for a bit now and have NO IDEA that really seems to answer it.

Below is a schematic to help explain this.

Input welcomed! Thanks for the ideas!

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
Jaster, if it was me I think I would blank it off with something and paint it black. Just my 2 cents...

Shaun
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
Me too - I'd cap it off - unless you're going to show some kind of action inside...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:06 AM UTC
Holy Red & Green Kryptonite!!!!!!

GIB my man, I guess it would be a great big bloody understatement to say "you've been a wee bit busy "...........huh?
You add any more mikemike's to your 'chorus line' and your turret bustles will have to get their own zip codes!!!
Very impressive work there mate! I also (as I'm sure everyone else does) appreciate the descriptive text and background info you provide as well. In fact, if you don't mind, you should elaborate more on each one of your 'Kings' individually so we can all really get to know them. I for one am getting a wonderful education on Modern Armour from all of this (I really didn't build 'modern' until recently....you guys saw to that change! ).

Thx,

Tread.

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 04:01 PM UTC
Jaster: Thanks for the kind words. Fans? LOL! I'm with Keenan and GunTruck on your diorama - just cap it off unless you want something to be seen.

TreadHead: Thanks, too! Each build of mine has a weeeeeee little first-draft profile which I posted in the my journal at the TW2K campaign page, and I also have a first draft on the "project development history" of each build in my hard drive which I haven't posted yet in this site. Will do that ASAP.

I just took some pix of the "T34 from Hell" and will upload 'em later when I get home. Hmmm... let's see... 14.7mm DShK MG for the TC, Kontakt ERA blocks, 105mm L7 rifled gun, 2 fuel drums courtesy of the US Army... and oh yes, a SAGGER to boot!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
Update:

Steel plate has been scrounged to be added to the turret & hull as extra armor.....on the T-55

The LAV's turret may recieve an upgrade if a minigun can be found.......

Pics tomorrow!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
Short Update (from my Journal)

I have finally decided on my front HEMTT's cargo are/GT configuration. I am using a 'stretched' M113 body shell taken from one of the local motor pools and mounting it directly to the top of the cargo area itself. For main armament (in the GT box) I have sourced out, from multiple captured Russian AFV's a U.S. field adapted version of the 'Kliver' manned turret. Complete with U.S. made M163 20MM Vulcan gattling gun, and twin mounted, quad 'Kornet' anti-tank missle modules mounted to it's sides............here russky, russky, russky!!!!!

Tread. :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
Short Sumbo update here too: Re: Counterweight, There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot. A cubic foot of cement weighs 137 pounds, so, 2 cement filled 55 gallon drum would weigh right at one ton, 2014 (pounds.) I think I will put one cement filled drum on each side of the bustle and the John Deere counter weights toward the center. Hopefully I will get some actual building done, a quit talking (typing) about it...

Shaun
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:33 AM UTC
Thanks for input on Dio. I do plan (time permitting) to have an interior of the building. There will NOT be figures or "action" inside the building, but there will be detail, and it is an element of the story.

Now...I just need to keep building on the F-150. Dashboard is coming along. It turned into yet another mini-project on its' own. Probably about 15-20 pieces before its' done. However, It is one of the most complex parts I have left- maybe THE most complex.

That's what it will sorta look like- I hope! Stripped of the luxury items like CD player, etc. That bay will be filled military/ civilian 2-way radios, etc

Progress should pick up speed as soon as the dash is done...
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Finally, here it is, the...

T34 FROM HELL!

The T34/105 sports the following:

1) 105mm L7 rifled gun
2) Sagger ATGM mounted on the mantlet
3) Kontakt ERA blocks as used in early T-80 tanks and later T-72s
4) 14.7mm MG from the T-80UD
5) 10 smoke launchers
6) FLIR
7) Repositioned fuel drums away from the engine and mounted on a rack - the fuel drums courtesy of the US Army hehehe

Close-up of the turret. Note the ERA package and other "tid-bits". The Kontakt ERA is mounted over some sheet metal (sheet styrene) which itself adds to some stand-off protection from HEAT rounds because there's a space between it (the front at least) and the turret itself. Some beams are mounted to support the entire structure. The FLIR is at the front of the loader's hatch. It's really a periscope from Tamiya's M41 kit, modified to look more-or-less a FLIR or TIS at the very least.
The T34/105 has five smoke launchers on each side. These came from the T80UD kit.

This be a closeup of the Sagger mount. The mount is simple sheet styrene cemented into place. The only photoetch part is the harness around the gun which is merely cut from the photoetch frame. The top of the turret just behind the ATGM is add-on armor - actually more for protection from the Sagger's rocket motor, something like a blast shield.

The TC's weapon - a 14.7mm (I think) MG from the T80UD. It's OOTB, the only modification is the mount.

This be the basket. It's made of stiff wire. The boxes mounted on the side are storage boxes (I think they're ammo boxes, not sure) that came with the T80UD kit. Note the counterweight - that be epoxy putty and is supposedly representing a solid block of steel.

This be the front hull. Note that the bow machine gun has been removed to make more room for additional ammo. This was sealed with a metal plate (sheet styrene) and over the entire front, Kontakt ERA blocks have been added. The driver's hatch was given 2 blocks to lessen the vulnerability on this part of the hull. The ERA blocks themselves are from a different kit (instead of making a mold and casting them as I earlier intended). That other kit will be the basis for the "Fourth King" hehehe

The fuel drums and rack. The rack is just sheet styrene. Originally, the kit's fuel drums were mounted on the sides of the engine - which makes it quite vulnerable. The fuel drums have been repositioned instead at the rear, away from the engine. The fuel drums themselves came from the Tamiya quartermaster set I think - which gives it a nice touch, as the crew of this T34 has had to scavenge from NATO supplies.

The T34/105 is basically finished. The ends of the tracks have been temporarily stapled together so as to be mounted for this picture series. I'm mulling adding skirts and some stand-off protection for the engine, but overall, this T34/105 is ready for painting!
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
GIBeregovoy that is the coolest!!!

I'm glad that everyone is posting pictures of their work before they paint it. I really enjoy seeing all the tidbit that going into your work and it makes it so much easier to know what is an add on when it's unpainted.

I don't know whats wrong, but I think I am going through "writers block" right now. I go and sit at my modeling table and just stare at the pieces... weird. Hope it goes away and I can get down to business and do some work on my projects.

-CT

You don't know how hard it is as an Michigan State Spartan fan to say this but...GO BLUE!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
Great work Griz. I actually worked on the Sumbo tonight. I am pretty happy with the progress. If I knew the red team was going to deploy wire guided anti-tank missiles I would have put a skirt on... Oh, wait, there is still time. Sagger Smagger... Hee Hee...

Again, great job. I'll have pictures up tomorrow or Wednesday of the Hoosier Hurricane, the Defender of the Ohio Valley, The Sumbo...
Oh, thanks, I almost forgot the smoke grenade launchers...

Shaun

Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:20 PM UTC
A note to the Red Team...don't even come to visit us up here in Michigan! ERA, 105mm whatever is no match for the TOWIIs, 120mms and good old Yankee ingenuity!

Oh ya...Nice T34 Griz! Great work! What a match up- Super T34 vs. SUMBO!!!

You Have Been Warned!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Chris, Keenan and Jaster!

Chris: I think you're a bit tired. Happens to me, too. Had one that lasted for 2 months I think - yup, that bad, and I'm not kidding. I hope you can get out of your "builder's block" sooner. BTW, I'm very eager to see your version of the HEMTT guntruck (as well as yours TreadHead! :-) )!

Jaster: Got SDI?

MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!! (if I gots me time, I'd squeeze this one in for OPFOR MWUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
Here's the pics as promised

LAV

T-55