_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Panzerjäger Tiger from Tamiya
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Heads up, Tamiya is letting the elephant, or elefant, out. A much anticipated release, finally announced.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 12:19 PM UTC
Is Tamiya actually providing this with molded-on zim? If so, that would be a first for them IIRC.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
I'm very excited for this! I'm so glad Tamiya is putting something new in the field. Hopefully there will be more to follow.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 03:31 PM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/191551&page=1

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10183399
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hey that bugger is a Ferdinand , not an Elephant.

Anthony
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A much anticipated release, finally announced.

This has been announced for a while now and shown in Shizuoka.

Does Armorama have a briefing between editors before publishing news?

This and many other recent cock-ups look very amateurish IMVHO.

Slowly but surely you will be losing all credibility.

Cheers,

Christophe
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This has been announced for a while now and shown in Shizuoka.

That may be the case but it was more than likely finally added to their website which makes it news there and to some who don't read every post on every AFV site on the net.

Quoted Text

Does Armorama have a briefing between editors before publishing news?

Yes they meet every morning at central offices over coffee and donuts. No of course not. That sounds pretty silly in retrospect doesn't it?

Quoted Text

This and many other recent cock-ups look very amateurish IMVHO.

Perhaps... and this is just a wild guess, that is because they ARE amateurs? No one gets paid a dime for content additions or editing on our sites. Perhaps free content is not your thing. I hear FSM has a nice site where they require you to be a subscriber to read reviews and other content. If I did that perhaps we could afford to make our staff 'professionals'.

Really Christophe... it's just a Tamiya news announcement. Unless you really think this deserves high-drama?

I think Kevin has been doing a great job since starting as a news reporter.

Thanks,
Jim
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is Tamiya actually providing this with molded-on zim? If so, that would be a first for them IIRC.

I don't have the greatest eyes as I once had,
but in these links that UncaBret provided http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10183399 I do not see any.

~ Jeff
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:49 PM UTC
It is interesting that the images of the finished model show zimmerit and it is very prominent on the box artwork. I have seen some pictures of sprues somewhere that show zimmerit moulded in place but the images in the link show none.
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
I read somewhere that they used their "Completed Masterworks" model which is the Dragon kit for their marketing pictures hence the zimmerit.

On the HLJ product page they mention that you have to add the zimmerit yourself.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony

Looks like an Elephant to me.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony

Yeah ... it's an Elefant for sure.

~ Jeff
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC
No disresepect intended (eveyone is entitled to their view), but I have to say that in my very honest opinion, it is not such a big deal if product news happens to duplicated at one point or another in time on this site (even if they are months apart). Some people don't visit the site every day and may even have missed the news.

However, there are many who seem to take issue with it.

It's pretty simple. If one has aleady seen the news on this site previously, then just don't bother reading it again. The time it costs to open a news item, realize that it is not news (for you) and close it again, is considerably shorter than the time is takes to write and comment that it is old news.

I personally don't understand what the problem is.

Just my two cents :-)
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC
I think this will be a typically nice Tamiya build.I enjoyed their recent Jagdtiger and JSU-152,and I am currently doing their Isherman,but the Dragon Elefant with molded zimm was such a nice kit to build,metal barrel,PE,ease of assembly and lots of detail.I don't think Tamiya can top that one for the price.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I read somewhere that they used their "Completed Masterworks" model which is the Dragon kit for their marketing pictures hence the zimmerit.

On the HLJ product page they mention that you have to add the zimmerit yourself.

What? No Zimm? Pity - it looked like a nice alternative to the Dragon kit until I saw that Mr T has yet again raised false expectations with what can be charitably called "aspirational" advertising. Given that this one will definitely be aimed at the niche market of knowledgeable modellers rather than the "it's Tamiya, so must be ok" mainstream it seems a real foot-shooting decision to me...

Tom
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What? No Zimm? Pity - it looked like a nice alternative to the Dragon kit until I saw that Mr T has yet again raised false expectations with what can be charitably called "aspirational" advertising. Given that this one will definitely be aimed at the niche market of knowledgeable modellers rather than the "it's Tamiya, so must be ok" mainstream it seems a real foot-shooting decision to me...

Tom

It would seem Tamiya have taken the decision to supply the kit without Zimmerit coating but supply the Zimmerit as an add-on for those who don't want to diy it. This is just a different marketing approach, whereas some one like Dragon make two different kits, one with one without and make them available at none specific times.

Tamiya's Zimmerit can be seen here

http://www.hlj.com/product/tam12644
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thank you for that Alan but it still seems a daft idea. If the zimmerit purchased separately can be bought for $6 it would have made more sense to supply it in the box and provide a WOW factor that has been missing of late.

On a side note I hope to meet you Saturday at the show in Salisbury Alan.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

Does that link suggest these are done as decals? (A textured-resin decal might go a long way towards replicating the 1/2-inch thickness of the real stuff...) If so, I could see it being grafted onto other makers' Elefants, like the old Italeri beast!

Still not sure why it isn't in the kit box from the start, though. The cost would be negligible, and the reviews would be far more favourable. Still aiming squarely at the foot...

Tom
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 03:58 AM UTC
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have "issues" with a company advertising as such with false images. Like, we all know to look into or investigate if it really has zimm molded in or supplied with the kit, but the average joe may not.

It's like all those hamburger commercials showing how tall their sandwich is, and when you finally get one it's not really!

Subway does this all the time! Glad I don't eat out much but do buy a lot of plastic!

~ Jeff
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
With or with out the zimmerit, I am thinking this will be a great kit, and I will most likely be buying it. As for the zimmerit, me and milliput have a good relationship with it comes to applying, so that would probably be my simple course of action.

Apollo11
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 06:34 AM UTC
Having built Dragon kits with all their multitude of parts, I like the idea of a straightforward no fuss build. Even without the Zimm I like this!

AndyC
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
Seriously, are Tamyia having a laugh. First they produce a promo model with a different kit, then they show images with zimmerit but when it comes to the kit you have to buy a separate set which really should be in the box. Add to that it will most likely be north of £40 in the uk I really can't see any reason to get
It. The dragon kit will most likely still be better and cheaper. This whole "easier to build" thing really dont wash with me when it means inferior detail and over the top pricing. Sorry for the rant.
Smokeyr67
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why would you think that Tamiya would use another companies model to promote their own kit?

Quoted Text

Thats the way I like it
 _GOTOTOP