Hosted by Darren Baker
First TIme Diorama - Starting Out: Base
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
I was talking with a buddy at work about models. He's a sometime modeler himself, and is also into woodworking. When I told him what I had in mind for a future diorama for a pair of IDF tanks, he suggested I sketch out my ideas. He wasted no time into creating drawings of my thoughts, and then built a very nice custom base for me! There are a few gouges in the front 'rail' (on the left side) and a smaller one on the right hand rail, but I plan to sand them into some kind of 'shape' in the wood, and make it symmetrical on both sides, so it looks 'designed'.

The rails (sides) are made of oak, with an MDF bottom that is secured with grooves routed out of the sides near the bottom of the side pieces. It is 17" wide, 16" deep, and ranges in height from 1" at the front to 3" at the back. The size was based on the idea of having two 1/35 tanks displayed (and yes, the side being different was intended, as I didn't want to have it look too 'regular'; I wanted to have some irregular geometrical base shapes). I plan to make it a 2 level diorama, with one tank (and an undecided amount of other equipment/personnel) on the upper level, and another tank on the lower. The transition between the levels is going to be some kind of ridge, likely soil (I have another thread here asking how to make dark, fresh looking soil). My thought is to fill in the majority of the base with styrofoam, as pictured, to minimize the amount of weight, which would be huge with pure plaster or other type of base materials.

It's going to be a long time until I need this, as the tank kits have been purchased, but building them is likely a long time off. Just wondering what you folks think, and any ideas about how to accomplish what I have in mind would be cool. Thanks for looking.

wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:08 PM UTC
I like the idea you came up with for the base.
SoumiArbs
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 10:07 PM UTC
Love those carpenter friends. Stain or Natural finish? Will you finish the base before you begin Diorama work?
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 - 06:44 AM UTC
Yo Curt,

Nice ideas...and a good start!

Keep up!

Greetz Nico
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 12:00 AM UTC
Very neat wooden frame for a base, so inspiring!

Can't wait too see the progress

Cheers

Garry
 _GOTOTOP