_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
Vallejo IJA Acrylic Primer colors
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 04:29 PM UTC
Vallejo have expanded their range of Acrylic Polyurethane Primers to include colors of the Imperial Japanese Army and Russ Amott gives them a try.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 12:22 AM UTC
James, thanks for the help with this. These paints are great for anyone just getting in to airbrushing as they were so easy to use.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 02:07 PM UTC
I recently used their German Dark Yellow primer under Testor's Sand and it worked great. First primer I've ever put through my airbrush that didn't clog it up. Great stuff.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC
I love the Vallejo Primer, I started using in replacement of the cans of Tamiya. I have the black, Red Brown, Green Brown, and Grey, the Grey does not go on as nice, but the others are awesome, easy use, easy clean up.
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 406 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi,
Could you fellas that have used these Vallejo acrylic-polyurethane primers, give me an indication of the drying times you experienced?

cheers,
Grant.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Could you fellas that have used these Vallejo acrylic-polyurethane primers, give me an indication of the drying times you experienced?

cheers,
Grant.

Hi Grant,

I dont want to rain on anyones parade as i dont know what the difference is between the colored primers and the Grey polyurethane primers. But Grant i used the grey polyurethane primer and it was awful. The worst primer i have ever used and im not really sure it ever quite dried completely and it sure didnt adhere properly. Ive heard great things about the colored versions but i cannot recommend the Grey polyurethane primer #74601. Maybe i got a bad batch.

Gary
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 11:16 AM UTC
Grant, the primers were dry to the touch in about an hour's time. When I painted it was very hot and abnormally humid here, about 60%. I painted under a cooler. They could be painted over in a couple of hours time, but Vallejo states that the nature of the primer is that they will fully cure in about two days time.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 11:43 AM UTC
Gary,

Interesting post about the grey primer. I have the same stuff, and it worked perfectly for me. In fact, I got the black version (which I have not yet tried), and now have on order 4 more colored versions. If the colors are any better than the grey, I'm going to be hugely pleased, and if they are no better than the grey, I'll be almost as happy. I have not experienced any issues with my grey primer, but then, I live in Nevada, where it is extremely dry.

For Grant,

I don't know how long the curing time is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure I only waited an hour before putting my first color coat on (Tamiya acrylic) over it, and that worked just fine.
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 12:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the all the quick replies fellas.
I recently bought the 'Rot Braun' colour but haven't yet tried it out.
Plus I was a little confused by what James mentioned in his review:
"The curing process may take some time, up to a week or two depending on temperature and humidity levels..."
Which seemed to me, a very long time for an acrylic based paint? Unless he meant a day or two?

Anyway, thanks again all,
Grant.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Grant, actually Russ mentioned that and I agree. Dry times are very quick, fully cured (completely hardened) takes longer. I do believe the curing process continues even with top coats applied. I've top coated over these primers within an hour or two on occasion, although my preference is to let the primer dry/cure for a day before applying the other coats.
vanhall
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi James,
Thanks for the explanation, I understand what you are meaning now.
I'll post my experience of the 'Rotbraun' after I've tried it, which I'm sure will be in the very near future.

Grant.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grant, actually Russ mentioned that and I agree. Dry times are very quick, fully cured (completely hardened) takes longer. I do believe the curing process continues even with top coats applied. I've top coated over these primers within an hour or two on occasion, although my preference is to let the primer dry/cure for a day before applying the other coats.

This should be true for most paints that we will generally deal with from models, to homes, to automotive applications.

Russ: Thanks for this review, it looks like I need to pick up one of the 60ml bottles soon
Militarymodeller80
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi

One of the best things about these new primers from Vallejo is that the colours are so accurate that they can be used as the base colour as well, the two I use the most are Dark Yellow (Dunkelgelb) and US Olive Drab, those two give the best colours I have seen, and priming and base coating all in one is a big time saver.

Paul
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
I have found one issue, large PE parts. Was doing the shields on my Flak 38, and it did not want to stick. Used the the Green Brown, no issue in the plastic, but did not like going on the PE plates. It there something you need to do with PE before using Vallejo? I wiped the primer off, and used the the Tamiya Fine Primer(rattle can), and no issues. Strange.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 01:48 PM UTC
Kevin: Water-based paints such as Vallejo aren't going to adhere well to metals such as PE without something to bite onto. Tamiya is not a water-based paint and can obtain an adequate bite, and I would recommend priming first with the Tamiya you are using or a similar primer and then laying down a coat of the Vallejo primer over the top of it for color consistency under the base coat. Alternatively you can etch the metal with a mild acid, by scuffing/sanding, or by using a self-etching primer if you wish.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kevin: Water-based paints such as Vallejo aren't going to adhere well to metals such as PE without something to bite onto. Tamiya is not a water-based paint and can obtain an adequate bite, and I would recommend priming first with the Tamiya you are using or a similar primer and then laying down a coat of the Vallejo primer over the top of it for color consistency under the base coat. Alternatively you can etch the metal with a mild acid, by scuffing/sanding, or by using a self-etching primer if you wish.

Jeremy

Thanks, I will keep a can around for that. Usually not an issue with smaller parts.

Kevin
 _GOTOTOP