_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobby Boss WMIK Iraq Help/Suggestions
RAFChris
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hello,

I've just 'finished' the Hobby Boss 1?35 scale WMIK. I understand that the Hobby Boss vehicle isn't correct for a current WMIK in Afghanistan, with the wider rear end on a new vehicle etc.

However I'm also aware that it's perfectly fine for an Iraq vehicle. Which after-market add-ons are needed to make it as true to life as possible?

I mean things such as radios, equipment and crew

Thanks guys,

Chris
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Go to Accurate Armours site.

They do 4 different upgrades for the WMIK that cover all versions, you should find what you want there.

Malcolm
RAFChris
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 06:22 AM UTC
I'm afraid its a bit late to use any of the Accurate Armour add-ons as the vehicle is already completed.

I'm searching for radio sets, bags etc. That sort of thing. I think I'll get another kit though and purchase and Accurate Armour add-on for it then.

Chris
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
Try Firefly models in that case, Chris, they do good add on stuff at reasonable prices.

Malc
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 09:59 PM UTC
There are some sets from Blackdog and Legend Productions.
DA5705
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
When are you planning on 'setting' it?

For early Iraq tours you'll need Clansman (Bowman first went out on 12 Mech's Telic 6 tour in summer 2005 from memory) radios/ancils.

On early tours again rifles were pretty much 'out of the box' - we didn't have any add ons for Telic 4 and I don't remember the infantry BGs having them either. I'm not certain about the initial invasion/occupation but by summer 2004 (Telic 4) we had all been re-equipped with the A2 version of the rifle. There's very little difference externally except for the shape of the cocking handle though so it may not affect your model. Again, I'm not sure about the initial invasion but by the time of Telic 4 everyone who went out was issued with SUSATs. Obviously as an infantry truck that's pretty irrelevant but it depends who else you want standing round it (RMP, dog handlers, medics etc).

The body armour on the early tours was the old style INIBA style with the Mk6 helmets. Obviously in later tours the Mk6A and the new Osprey armour were introduced.

You may be able to find pictures of in service ECM from the time but I highly doubt it and I'm afraid I'm not going to help you there for obvious reasons! We were badly short of it when I was out there anyway so just say your truck was one of the ones that didn't have it!

Webbing was a mix of PLCE, issued vests and self bought assault vests/chest webbing (as ever!).

Anything else I could help with?
RAFChris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses! I totally forgot I had a log in with this account and after evidently many years I have gotten round to sorting it out!

I'll have a look for some accessories to add on!

In terms of setting the vehicle (It's been sat in a box all this time) I don't really have a set period in mind. The vehicle doesn't have the alloy wheels, it still has the original in box steel wheels. I may change the wheels out but as its only going to sit on a shelf at home I don't mind too much. With that in mind I don't mind if some items are a little 'out of time', I just want to created something that looks remotely realistic.

I'll post some photos when I figure out how these forums work again!

Cheers, hope you are well safe and well.
 _GOTOTOP