_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard 2 A6 M CAN with upgrade
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC
hi all,
Sorry for my poor english...
few weeks ago, I've bought second hand kit from Tamiya and the PE kit from Voyager Model. I've want make the canadian version wich serve in Afghanistan. So, I've ordered the Real Model upgrade. I haven't see that many parts are common to both kits...
never mind!
here is the tamiya kit:

https://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=148&u=15955349

Now, the Voyager Model upgrade!
The parts are delivered in a classy and large box. The kit consists of 4 large sheets of PE, 4 medium and 5 small. They have not all the same thickness. There are two bags of resin parts. These include side mud guards, supports of smoke launchers... In addition to that, we have a cable in copper and other plastic profiles. There are also brass turned parts such as smoke launchers. Finally, there's a beautiful turned aluminium barrel.
Here is a picture of the contents with an X acto and a pot of Vallejo to get an idea of the scale.

Finally, the kit from Real model
The box contains a decal sheet from Echelon, a sheet of food boxes, some resin parts and some PE sheets. The PE sheets are made by Eduard from Real Model.

I have a lot of duplicate parts, but I choose the best of the 2 kits. For example, I would take the barrel from the kit from Voyager Model rather the Real model one.

For now, I'll just mount the turret boxes specific to the Canadian version.
I've used these tools and a solder station.

I used sand paper to make the antislip coating.

Give me your reaction!

Now, I'll return to the mounting of my panther F alternatif!

bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi all,
Sorry for my poor english...
few weeks ago, I've bought second hand kit from Tamiya and the PE kit from Voyager Model. I've want make the canadian version wich serve in Afghanistan. So, I've ordered the Real Model upgrade. I haven't see that many parts are common to both kits...
never mind!

Very good start.
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi Miloslav!

Thanks a lot, it's not easy. I used the notice from Eduard and yours to mount parts but the number of each part aren't the same. So I lost much time to compare them to find the right part. I ask questions when I'll have a problem.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC
Your off to a great start! Will you also mount the Barracuda netting?

Here is my build with the HB Leo.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/188123#1573912

Don't be shy and ask questions, there are many on this site with lots of info on these beasts!

I also did an early deployed 2A6m with the Tamiya Leo;

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/106022#875155

cheers
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:37 AM UTC
I read your topics that are very interesting. Your scratchbuild of the slat is amazing! well done!
Your moonuting helped me with my choice of different kits.
I don't hesitate to ask questions if the need arises.
Otherwise, I will not mount the barracuda version, I get the same version as you. I hope to mount the slat as you did. Did you have specific problems?
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 11:32 AM UTC
Well done on the build, keep us posted.

Here are a few photos of an A6M CAN that has no slate armour added, will post more each day:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/ldshrecceboy/Leopard%202/

cheers

Anthony
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Miloslav!

Thanks a lot, it's not easy. I used the notice from Eduard and yours to mount parts but the number of each part aren't the same. So I lost much time to compare them to find the right part. I ask questions when I'll have a problem.

That's strange, because Eduard made ​​boxes in my design. Maybe the parts are numbered differently.
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:37 AM UTC
Yes, it's exactly that! In plus, sheets are not organized in the same way.I must search the right part like Sherlock Holmes!

I don't continue the mounting the leo yet. however, I have not studied all the sheets and the manuals thoroughly, but I would like to know what are the parts circled in red. I do not see on your manual and on the Eduard one.

Are they tools?
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
I thought those were spacers for setting the slat armour?

BTW - the guys here would love to see your build posted:
Modern Canadian Vehicles Forum
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it's exactly that! In plus, sheets are not organized in the same way.I must search the right part like Sherlock Holmes!

I don't continue the mounting the leo yet. however, I have not studied all the sheets and the manuals thoroughly, but I would like to know what are the parts circled in red. I do not see on your manual and on the Eduard one.

Are they tools?

Not Holmes or Maigret. It's a very simple template for easy installation of slat armor
http://www.eduard.com/store/cs/Eduard/Fotolepty/Fotoleptana-sada/Bojova-technika/Stryker-sablona-pro-ohybani-lamel-1-35.html
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC
Tks guys!
Ok, it's tools to mount them. I'll see how to use them when the time comes.

Quoted Text

BTW - the guys here would love to see your build posted:
Modern Canadian Vehicles Forum

All my photos aren't upload with photobucket... Boring to upload them a new time... I just post a message with a link to go here.
TeeHog
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
The eduard slat armour set provided by Real Model is very thin. The parts you have circled are brackets that hold you pieces in place while you solder it together. Without those brackets, you will find this task very difficult to accomplish. Then again, from looking at your photos of your assembled photo etch parts, your skills may be considerably better than mine. As you already mentioned, the instructions do not come even close to what you need to do. One can figure it out, but it takes time. The instructions for the Voyager set are easy to follow and I found I was able to put everything together quite quickly. Lastly, I found out the hard way that the eduard slat armour did not fit when I tried to put it with the Barracuda.

What you displayed so for looks really good. I cant wait to see the final product
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC
Thx Tony, very kind of you!

I hope I succeed I mount that as good as I can see in the forum.
Now, I have to continue to mount my panther f, I'll take a break! For it, I have made a thoma system.
ColdSteel
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 03:02 AM UTC
My man your photo-ecth work is top notch.Will be watching this one and don't worry about your english we all here speak modelling here.Keep it up!
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
As long as you understand what I'm saying!

And Google Translate is my friend
Johnzie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 03:01 PM UTC
Frederic

What number are the hinges for this piece? its missing from the instructions. which are leaving a little to be desired.

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=222&u=15955349

John
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 11:49 PM UTC

What don't you understand??
I've "stacked" parts like the instructions! I've not put the part 15, too small, too difficult for me et we did'nt see it when all are mounted.
Johnzie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Frederic

That page is missing from my instructions from Real Model. Actually the slat armour was missing and had to be resent. I ordered the set in March and did not receive it until the end of August. I wonder what else is missing?

John
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
ok ok, I agree with you for the instructions. I know that Eduard make PE parts for Real Model. So, I had the idea to search in the Eduard site. And I've find the pdf. It's not exactly the same (numbers of parts changed etc...) PE sheets but with patience and observation, we managed to find.

To do that, take the right pdf in these pages (the file is in right middle of the page):

-the slat:
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Leopard-2A6M-armour-slat-1-35.html?cur=1&force_sid=ddac39a7ebe48ce3e3ea08af292302cb&listtype=search&searchparam=leopard%202%20a6

-the big kit with 4 sheets:
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Leopard-2A6-1-35-1.html?cur=1

-the turret's boxes
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Leopard-2A6M-CDN-boxes-1-35.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=leopard%202%20a6

-the bending template for stryker but you can use with the leo:
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Stryker-slat-bending-template-1-35.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=stryker

Compare all the sheets and you see. For the time being, I have just mount the boxes, so I can't tell you more for now.
Johnzie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hi Frederic

Thanks so much for your help. I'm new to the military stuff and did not think to look on the Eduard Website. I'm definitely in over my head but committed to see this project through.

John
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
You're welcome John! A forum is to help each other!
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 09:36 PM UTC
I'm back people!

After this battle with PE, I won't deny that my motivation has taken a hit! I had gone to get back to reassembling the panther but the amount of work to do to me demotivated ...
But I therefore left aside and continue leo stuff but not headaches. So I started studying the 3 instructions from Tamiya/Voyager/Real model to see what I was going over parts replaced by Tamiya. I found that some parts are unnecessary in some cases. For example, at least not implement the replacement tracks pads, replacement fixations of origin is not useful. We don't see them at all. It has other parts which, by their size and compared to where they are, contribute nothing or very little to the final result. For example, the padlock of side boxes will be stashed behind the slat. The reliefs found on the Tamiya kit are certainly crude but it will do. See for yourself ...

I then start to "clean" the surface of the hull of all the parties that I have to replace by PE.
The result:

What do you think?

I then did some research on colors that must have various lenses and optics. I had to collect 200 photos and most close-up. Anthony Seward had give me some nice pictures, thanks to him.
I do think periscops with clear green from Tamiya. From inside the leo, blocks are totally clear but not from outside. I think that's a reflect, the thickness and perhaps surface treatments that do that it seems green. Look at these pictures:

For the panoramic camera, it's a reflection of purple but I don't know how to do ...

In some cases, it's more blue as we can see on that Leclerc picture:

Have you an idea to do that??

I think smoking lightly armored glass in front of the hatch you see in the picture. I'm still waiting for the response from Anthony, but you have an idea of ​​what clear color I should use to make optical lenses hidden armored doors? I would see it without particular color for their site but I have a doubt. I speak of those stashed in there:

Once again, thx to Anthony for his kindness and pictures
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 03:21 AM UTC
Frederic,
Have you seen these:
http://store.nexternal.com/sbm/135-afv-club-leopard-2-a6ex-anti-reflection-coating-lens-ac35015-p30959.aspx?
That is what I got for mine.

Cheers Rob.
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thx, I just order the kit!
bosscat
Visit this Community
Marne, France
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 09:53 PM UTC
to accompany my Leo, I ordered a tank chief manufactured by Djiti Production.

I'm searching, I can not find much info and pictures at the colors to be used for uniform etc ... Can you help me please?
 _GOTOTOP