Problems with cellaclay..again..
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Gentelmen,
I have used this stuff on all my groundwork and I still have not learned my lesson. It curls on the edges no matter how I mix it. I add glue, scrape the base with a knife to give it something to grip to, even cursed it out while I watched it dry. It has ruined numorus bases for me. Im done... Is thier a better product out there?

beyond pi#sed,

-Ziggy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 08:22 PM UTC
@Chris
For years I have used the spackle you use to fill seams between those gypsumboards you cover walls with. Comes in handy small buckets. In white and grey. Can be smeared directly from said bucket. Dries fast as well and has a good grip from it's own. When it is still wet I sprinkle birdcage sand over it. Gives a nice texture and it prevents tires and tracks from sticking to it when you create tracks and ruts.

Hope you can use this information.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
I use pre-mixed concrete patch, available at most DIY stores. Just smooth it on, shape it how you want it and let it dry. it already has texture to it, so all you have to do is add your track/tire marks and foot prints and you are ready to paint.

Jesse
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
Sometimes the edges curl on me too. I just use any leftover celluclay to fill the edge gaps. Keep some extra celluclay mix in a small plastic food container. It will stay fresh for weeks. At least it will still be usable when you need it to fill those pesky gaps.
dangerdan87
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:47 PM UTC
I haven't really had that problem with celluclay. It does tend to separate from the sides of my base a little bit, but not by much...most of the time it's barely noticeable. How much water do you mix it in? I try to use as less water as possible. It takes a little bit for all the paper and plaster to get wet, but I make it have a very thick viscosity to it, which also helps it dry faster and hold its shape after I'm done applying it. That may be the reason why I don't have any problems with celluclay.
Even if I did have a slight problem with it, I always apply a small layer of plaster mixed with talus sand to give it some texture, then I stain the plaster. If there are any imperfections with the celluclay, the plaster will cover it up.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 05:29 AM UTC
I've never had Celluclay curl up on me but I tend to use more glue than water in my mix.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
I switched to TAP Plastics Magic-Sculpt resin mix - love the stuff!

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/mold_making_materials/sculpting_materials/magic_sculpt_compound/110

Easy to make tread marks and push stowage, rocks, footprints, etc into the stuff. Long working time and not runny. Easy to thin.

_GOTOTOP