_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Saw a new book
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:12 AM UTC
Was at Barnes and Noble and saw a new book tonight. Called "World War II: A Visual Encyclopedia", Edited by John Keegan. It was really good. It had 512 pages and tons and tons of photo's (as if that wasn't obvious...lol...) of every WWII machine you could imagine-tanks, guns, planes, ships, vehicles...you name it. Most of the pics were of very high quality that showed just some tremendous detail on the tanks. There were many "action" shots during battles that were just calling for someone to make a diorama of (hopefully someday I can do it). All that for only $25. I think it's a good deal. Anybody else seen this book?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Yes, and as you said it is awesome. Another of note is the series of the Armed Sevices. I think four in total. One of the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force. They are really big books, each ablazoned with their respected crests. They trace their histories with tons of photos. One of these days.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another of note is the series of the Armed Sevices. I think four in total. One of the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force. They are really big books, each ablazoned with their respected crests. They trace their histories with tons of photos. One of these days.

I have the Navy book you are talking about. I received it from my mother-in-law (whose a great lady) for Christmas and my brother-in-law (whose an Army Apache helo pilot) received the Army book. They are very, very nice indeed.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Navy book you are talking about. I received it from my mother-in-law (whose a great lady) for Christmas and my brother-in-law (whose an Army Apache helo pilot) received the Army book. They are very, very nice indeed.

You in one of those families too? My mother-in-law's 3 brothers were in the Navy and both of her sons, one got out after 6 years and the other is a Chief Petty Officer (E-7) on the USS Portland, one of those LA class subs. She got me a book on Navajo Code Talkers. Interesting choice, but I guess it'll prep me up for the Nicholas Cage movie "Wind Talkers".
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You in one of those families too? My mother-in-law's 3 brothers were in the Navy and both of her sons, one got out after 6 years and the other is a Chief Petty Officer (E-7) on the USS Portland, one of those LA class subs. She got me a book on Navajo Code Talkers. Interesting choice, but I guess it'll prep me up for the Nicholas Cage movie "Wind Talkers".

You bet Rob. My wife's side is Army. Her dad was a Captain with Intel in Vietnam and her brother flies Apache's as I said. My dad was Navy as am I. I served on one of those LA Class subs for about 2.5 years (followed by 3 years on the USS Seawolf) before getting commissioned and heading to the surface fleet.
 _GOTOTOP