_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Merkava
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
OK guys, I plan on delving into unchartered territory. I want to build and IDF vehicle, specifically, a Merkava (don't care which mark). Is there one that has an interior also? Which one is the best and why?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
SABOT UP!!! I believe Tamiya's Merkava is out of production right now. I still think you can get your hands on the Academy/Minicraft kits. I know I have one with the mine roller in my store. I heard Trumpeter was putting out one. I havnt seen any with an interior. AEF Designes puts out several conversions and accessory sets for Israli vehicles, check there sight out.
Hope this little info helps.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
The corporal is right. I don't think any of the injection molded kits of the Merkava have an interior. I don't think AEF designs do an interior for the turrets. They do have entire replacement turrets though (including the awesome looking "Baz" conversion for the Mk.III), I suppose they would have an interior.
Tamiya's Merkava Mk.I is indeed out of production but can still be found at many hobbyshops and at swap meets. The Academy Merkava Mk.II and III are still in production as far as I know. Don't know about the Trumpeter kit though. Is it out in the shops yet? What I would like to know is, if it is a copy of the Tamiya or Academy kits or their own tooling.
HTH
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 01:55 AM UTC
Just checked the AEF Designs site, and there is no dedicated interior. What they do have is entire turrets (as I mentioned before), like a Merkava Mk.IIB and Mk.IIID turret. No mention of interior details though...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
Sorry Rob, like the other guys said, nothing in the way of kits with interiors, nor any interior conversions.
Of note though, Cromwell Models offer correction kits for Academy's Merkava Mk. III, I think four seperate kits in total. Resin kits so expensive.
GreatModels has 1 Tamiya Merkava left for $20.15
Also Trumpeter's Merkava MkII w/ mine roller for $15.25
And Academy's II & III & II w/ mine roller for $23.25, $24.80, 34.10 respectfully.
Still looking for some reviews for you.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Sabot;
I´ve built both the Tamiya MK I and Academy´s MK II with roller, and they´re great.
Don´t worry about trying to get an interior, cause these israeli beasts has their best on the outside, you can work a lot making the anti skid surface on upper hull, the chain and balls on turret basket, putting the correct FN MAG 7,62mm machine guns on turret and so on.....
I have an article (go to ARTICLES)writen on my site about the Tamiya MK I with a couple of photos, and also a couple of photos of the MK II (go to GALLERY).
the israeli crews seens to carry everithing outside tank, and possibilities are endeless, use your imagination type....
If you like anything further feel free to send me an e-mail at:
[email protected]
My site:
Armouredsprue
PS: A good buy is a set individual track links....
Cheers
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
I just forget to mention to take care, otherwise you can take the israeli armor virus and it can interfere on your future models, HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Sabot
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 - 09:47 PM UTC
Unlikely to happen Paulo! LOL
Have we come to a concensus as to which Merkava I should pick up? The older Tamiya one or the newer, more expensive Academy one? Since I guess an interior is out of the question, it doesn't really matter which mark I get, I II or III.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 12:16 PM UTC
This might make your final dicision. The Academy Merkava's has one good thing over the Tamita kit, i think. The rubber on the road wheels on the Academy kits come seperate frome the road wheels.You dont have to mask them off. Just paint the wheels and then place the rubber part on. My 2 cents would be, go for the Academy kits.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'm tracking some now on eBay!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:08 PM UTC
Here's a site that may help you along with that Merkava:

linkname http://hjem.get2net.dk/t_anton/model.htm
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:14 AM UTC
Another site to help
http://www.voodoo.cz/merkava/
If you´d like you can check the post about Israeli M113 where I putted others links to israeli armor modelling
HTH
 _GOTOTOP