_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Late type M4/M4A1 exhaust deflector available
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC
I have developed a late type D78458 DEFLECTOR ASSEMBLY in 1:35 scale. The deflector is that commonly seen on M4A1 76mm, M4 105mm, and M4 composites. It is for sale at the Shapeways 3D printing link below.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/MMCDesign

They are available one at a time or in sets of 3 or 5.

Mike Canaday

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 06:42 PM UTC
Looks good Mike! You have some beaut items there.
Need to dust off my projects for sure...
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thanks!

Mike
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 07:46 AM UTC
I contacted them but they only ship UPS so big borkerage fees if you are in Canada, Also this set is not available. So big to do about nothing. To bad would have liked a few of them.

Regards,
Rod
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
I am sorry about the postage, but unfortunately I can't control that.

I don't understand about the set still not being available though. It is currently available. You may have been caught in by the early part issues which have since been fixed.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/843681/d78458-deflector-assembly.html?li=productBox-search

http://www.shapeways.com/model/876322/3-pack-d78458-deflector-assembly.html?li=productBox-search

http://www.shapeways.com/model/876297/5-pack-d78458-deflector-assembly.html?li=productBox-search

Email or IM me and I'll get you some parts.

Mike Canaday
BigSplashBear
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
G'day Mike,

I ordered some from Shapeways and got back a reply that the item was too fine to 3d print. They gave me a credit back.

Have placed a second order which has now been dispatched. No notice thus far that they could not supply this time. Package is due to arrive in Australia on 12 Feb. so I expect I'll find out exactly what has been printed upon receipt.

Quite impressed with Shapeways service. And I found $20 reasonable to ship via UPS to Australia.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Craig
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC
I am glad that you were able to reorder.

Whenever an order gets rejected for "non-producability", the person who placed the order gets an email, and I get an email telling me about the issue at the same time. I immediately start fixing the problem with the Shapeways rep, so generally if your order does get rejected, I have whatever problem Shapeways had sorted out after a about a day. They are supposed to let you know when the part has been fixed. I guess they don't.

I have posted elsewhere on this forum and others about my gripe with Shapeways about their imperfect manual checking process, and I wish they did things slightly differently.

However, since things are the way they are, I invite anyone who places an order with Shapeways for items in my shop and has their order rejected, to email me and I will email them back as soon as the part is fixed. I would also recommend that if the part is a part of an order, to cancel the entire order and wait until the problem is resolved, that way you don't have to pay shipping again. I have yet to encounter a problem with a part offer for retail that I have not been able to fix.

Mike Canaday
BigSplashBear
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thanks Mike.

Order received about 5 minutes ago.
The grills are brilliant.

Regards,
CM

mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mike.

Order received about 5 minutes ago.
The grills are brilliant.

Regards,
CM

Glad they got there and that you like them!

Mike
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:14 PM UTC
Mike,

Could you add a new material option to your products at Shapeways? They just added a new Frosted Extreme Detail material that offers even higher resolution (i.e. smoother and crisper parts) than FUD. Of course it is more expensive, but may be worth it!

I just ordered a few of my own parts in the new FED material to see how much better it is than FUD, and will have to wait a few weeks for them, but it certainly looks promising
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Pawel,

I'm sure Mike will look into this, but as another Shapeways designer I can tell you there was a glitch when FXD was launched last week - it wasn't working with existing products, only with new ones. They have been sorting it out so eventually every FUD model that fits the new rules can be offered in FXD (if the designer chooses) but for right now I know many of my own designs have not yet been processed for FXD compatibility.

Normally, when a new design is uploaded it goes through an automatic basic check to see which materials it can be printed in, then the designer can choose which of these to offer. I think they are running some kind of script to search out and test all existing FD & FUD designs against the new FXD rules, but as there are many thousands of old designs to test it may take a while...
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 04:45 AM UTC
Yes indeed! I am very excited about the new material, but it is showing up as un-printable on my models. I will probably redesign the deflectors to add the chain and other brackets like I originally wanted.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP