_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
Badger Patriot 105
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
Tools of the trade are almost important as talent of the modeler itself. A solid airbrush is a primary tool that can bring your technique to a whole new level. Check out Damon Burke''s review of the new Badger Patriot 105 airbrush and see if this airbrush fits your style.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 01:25 AM UTC
That is an excellent review, especially with the really thorough testing you did. I agree that it is a marvelous AB, since I did my review I find its really been the only brush I've used, my more expensive ones are getting dusty.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the in-depth review Damon, gave me a few laughs in the process too

Has anybody tried this brush with the fine needle/nozzle combo?
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
I am sure there are some that may find my style a bit flippant, but I think you need a few laughs or at least levity to keep people from falling asleep. Thank you for the kind words and the opportunity. cheers.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
Not I, we're not writing pretentious tomes here, levity and personality are good things, I think!? It's a very helpful review, what more can a reader ask for?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC
Very nice review! I got a 105 myself too, and have been quite happy with it.

Regarding the mention of the exposed needle tip, Badger does make a guarded spray regular: part# 41-043. It's originally from the 200NH brush, but they use a lot of the same components. I have no idea why they don't mention this in the 105's instructions. Just note that 41-043 is for the medium tip/needle setup.
Looks like this:

The trigger in the 105 been changed from the 360, which had a smaller diameter top with different texture:

The old trigger is part #50-019, and there's also a rubber trigger pad, 50-087. However, to my knowledge, the old style trigger has been discontinued with a new style replacing it, using the same part number, so finding one could be a bit tricky. Never hurts to ask around, though.

Quoted Text

Has anybody tried this brush with the fine needle/nozzle combo?

I don't know how they make it nowadays, but my 105 (bought a few years ago) shipped with the fine neeelde/nozzle combo.
It could be that I had the 360 with its default medium needle/nozzle before getting the 105, but I didn't personally like the fine setup. Felt like I could get about as fine lines with the medium as with the fine setup, but with much less hassle. The doodling in the pic above is done with the medium setup.
To me, the medium needle/nozzle is more versatile and less picky regarding paint thinning ratios and the like.

didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
Eetu;
Great update and info, thank you for posting. Cheers.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 03:17 PM UTC
Outstanding review Damon. Very thorough and informative. I will take issue with this.... "But the idea of any air brush not EVER clogging is just a fallacy, Teflon coating or not". My Iwata never clogs up.......LOL...J/K

Cheers buddy,
Gary
 _GOTOTOP