_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Second exhaust pipe?
bzak
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Howdy,

What's the deal with this gun truck? I'm trying (slowly) to finish building a model of this one and I need to know more about what appears to be a second exhaust pipe. Where does the smaller one on bottom attach? Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Riedel

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Possibly a fender support? Or as you said an exhaust, but you can still see the original exhaust stack so....
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 05:38 AM UTC
Christopher, I'm pretty sure you're correct about it being a fender support.
wksanl
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
Christopher, It is not a fender support but rather a functional exhaust pipe routed directly from the exhaust manifold. The original exhaust pipe assembly is still in place, but disconnected at the muffler/ spark arrestor beneath the forward cab. Gun truck crews often did this because the heavy diesel exhaust fumes would obstruct their line of fire view as well as cause breathing difficulties during long haul runs. Some gun truck crews even removed the original upright exhaust pipe all together for less line of fire interference. You will note the Assassins crew also has modified the height taller on the original exhaust pipe as well as paint it white. If you check other references of the 541st TC gun trucks you will see others had the modified exhaust also.

I built this same model a couple of years ago and James 'Guntrucker' Lyles verified this exhaust setup.

Hope this info helps........
Bill
 _GOTOTOP