_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
BEDFORD QLD General Service
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
Jim Rae takes a look at the latest offering from IBG Models the BEDFORD QLD General Service

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 09:36 AM UTC
I have one of these on order and looking forward to it . I note AFV club has a Matador coming as well. Good news for Commonwealth builders .
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
I've started a Build-Log which can be seen:

http://armorama.com/forums/205903&page=1#1727359
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the namecheck Jim

One other thing to add after a more detailed look - towing shackles on the front spring hangers - an easy fix again

As ever check references - later vehicles with the hip ring may or may not have the mudguard strengthening brackets but it seems you will be unlikely to see earlier "plain" roofs with those brackets.

The hip ring itself needs more work as well.Perhaps a lightly wider top lip - but I'll reserve judgement on that until I can find some more detailed pics.

sk
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:08 PM UTC
@Simon, your comments on ML were very useful - thanks!

Curiously enough, as to reference for the QLD, it was a clear case of cynicism/pessimism taking over as in the last few years i've been in contact with many excellent preserved examples which I found in SW England. However, I was pessimistic (or cynical enough) that it was unlikely that any manufacturer would ever actually kit one out in 1/35th scale, so, like an idiot, I didn't take the photos I could have....

So, the moral of the story, and particularly in view of what's happening with Allied releases, don't ever assume that it WON'T get released!!!!
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Jim - some points to clarify

The accelerator is included - attached to the cab front rather than floor.

The mudguard supports are not part of the APT modifications as I first thought - that L-shaped lip/bracket under the drivers windscreen allows part of the cab structure to be dismantled to allow the parts to fit into a Dakota - and is a key identifier for APT versions.

The strengthening is a late feature - so I think the hip ring can be seen with or without the strengthening, but you will not see the strengthening without the hip ring. Plain cab roof = no strengthening

On the subject of hip rings, there is a current thread on HMVF concerning the restoration of a QL. There are some excellent reference photos there - everything you could need - including detailed shots of the hip ring restored but not yet bolted to the cab roof.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27783-bedford-QL-restoration

Yes we've all waited a long time for a cabbed QL. Must be over 30 years ago that we did a series of builds in MM using the portee as a basis for extensive scratchbuilds.

sk
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27783-bedford-QL-restoration

Pure bloody gold! Thanks again, Simon!
 _GOTOTOP