_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M54 truck cab measurment
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC
I have a Renwal 1/32 scale 5 ton wrecker going to try to make it a gun truck. The cab just doesn't look right. Im needing measurements of the cab. Is their any blueprints on line any where.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
I don't have any measurements, but the whole kit is not really right. Being 1/32 scale, it is also 10% bigger than it would be in 1/35. The basic details are all off as well.

I would (and have) follow Dave "Animal" Willet's excellent M54 conversion article. It combines the Italeri M923/5 chassis and an AFV Club converted (stretched and widened hood and fenders) M35 cab. It will give you much better results.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 10:16 PM UTC
Looking at what others, (Including Gino?) have done with the Renwall/etc, kit, & for what they sell for on auction sites,
you might get more mileage by transplanting the wrecker body to a more modern kit of the appropriate cab chassis, and using the Italeri/AFV Club kits to make your Gun truck?

But it's your kit...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at what others, (Including Gino?) have done with the Renwall/etc, kit...

I haven't built the Renwall wrecker as a wrecker. I did use the frame and part of the cab (from the front windshield forward) as a base for my M123A1C tractor model. It worked for the M123 since it is a much bigger truck, 10 ton as opposed to 5 ton like the M54. I still heavily modified it. The original Renwall parts are the medium-dark green parts in the below pics,

The wrecker body is so-so as well. If you want a good 5 ton wrecker, get AFV Club or Real Models conversion sets for one. The Renwall one is really not well detailed and is chunky on the details that are there. With Renwall's wrecker, you are dealing with a 60+ year old kit; and it looks like it.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Ive always wanted to build the m123A1c but didn't fill comfortable with resin at the time. I may give a go at scratch building it. Ive done the 5 ton conversion before just thought this my be quicker way by using the cab hood and fenders off the renwal. Gino did you use tank workshops resin wheels for the m123.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino did you use tank workshops resin wheels for the m123.

Eventually I did order a set of the TWS wheels. I originally found a set of 1/25 truck wheels that were pretty close. They are in the above pics. I sanded down the wheels as much as I could and stretched the 1/35 Tamiya Dragon Wagon wheels over them. The stretching of the Tamiya wheels eventually (a few years later) led them to break. Due to that, I had to get the TWS wheels. They are pretty nice though.
 _GOTOTOP