_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Boiling vessels
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 02:55 PM UTC
This may seem a bit elementary especially to our British friends, but can someone explain how the boiling vessels, like those sold by Accurate Armour(A093), work? I have seen them carried in several British armoured vehicles (Warrior,FV 432) but am not sure how/where they hook up or how they are used to cook with. Is food cooked in these things while still in the packets or is it dumped in a pan and then cooked in it? I would like to do a scene with food being served from the back of a Land Rover (Wolf GS) in the field and would like to know if the boiling vessels would be used in such a setting. Would these also be used in Saxons? What time frame would they be appropriate for? Maybe just a small detail but would hate to screw it up nevertheless.
gogs007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 313 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
hi, they are run off the vehicles electrics, they come with a lead and you just plug them in. i only used them for boil in the bag rations and for making coffee and hot water. when i was in the land rovers where not fitted to use them if memory servse me they had different electrics.
hope this helps
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This may seem a bit elementary especially to our British friends, but can someone explain how the boiling vessels, like those sold by Accurate Armour(A093), work? I have seen them carried in several British armoured vehicles (Warrior,FV 432) but am not sure how/where they hook up or how they are used to cook with. Is food cooked in these things while still in the packets or is it dumped in a pan and then cooked in it? I would like to do a scene with food being served from the back of a Land Rover (Wolf GS) in the field and would like to know if the boiling vessels would be used in such a setting. Would these also be used in Saxons? What time frame would they be appropriate for? Maybe just a small detail but would hate to screw it up nevertheless.

The BV as it's known has been around for a long time, certainly early 70's... Prior to it being issued, the Centurion, Saladin and Saracen crews were issued with an electric Boiling/cooking Pot.

It is not recommended to use it without engine charging power too many times as it does drain the 24v system pretty quickly.

The Vessel does have a removable liner if you need a larger quantity of water. In past years of 'canned compo' four cans could be heated at one time and still provide enough water for tea or coffee.

Most units were able to adapt the connector plug to allow the BV to be used in any vehicle with a 24v. system, including Rovers..

The tech departments in most regiments were/are inundated with requests for replacement BV's (without) handing in an inoperable one! I wonder why?

Not certain if the Saxon was issued with them or not but the time frame is certainly correct.

All MBT's, 432, Warrior and CVR(T)'s, Fox CVR(W) had/have one as part of the standard CIS (Complete Equipment Schedule) kit.

Keith.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:19 AM UTC
Douglas

The Scammell DROPS truck carried a boiling vessel, a grey square box with the element at the bottom with an internal metal box shaped pan, with the lid of the box having two clamps that kept it tight shut.

It was stowed in the centre cubby box of the truck which, itself had a strong lid for standing on when providing overwatch through the hip ring on the roof.

It was on a 24 volt circuit and simply plugged in to a purpose built socket.

If single manned, my routine on exercise was to make sure I had water in the internal pan and decided what meal pack from the boil in the bags I wanted placed inside before rolling off on the routes.

If we knew we were going to get a halt for a meal you could switch the vessel on as you were approaching the halt and by the time the vehicle had windscreens covered, or vehicled fully cammed up if in a hide location, the boil in bag was piping hot. Some water was used for a brew and the rest for a wash and shave.

Double manned you could brew up on the move which was very handy though the steam from the safety valve would mist up the windows inside while driving. Also the cab could go kangaroo like at times and could give a nasty scald with the boiling water bouncing around if the lid is opened although there is a draw off for cup filling while lid shut.

The internal pan could be used for frying but it was frowned upon as it meant the hastle of cleaning up if burnt on food.

Great piece of kit which made our lives that good bit more comfy.

Nige

woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
hi there .
I was crew/driver rad op on a 436 in 212 sig sqn from 89 -93 my bv was my best friend . cracking piece of kit . from what I can remember all of our vehicles had bvs from standard comms waggons 436 to the reme 434's .hope this helps .
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi there .
I was crew/driver rad op on a 436 in 212 sig sqn from 89 -93 my bv was my best friend . cracking piece of kit . from what I can remember all of our vehicles had bvs from standard comms waggons 436 to the reme 434's .hope this helps .

212 Sqn eh? Small world, Alpha one troop, 212 Sig Sqn myself just a little bit later than yourself 95-98. Have to agree with you the BV was the best bit of kit in an Armd unit, I always had one on the cage front next to the comanders hatch so we could brew on the move, kept me and my driver warm on those winter night moves.

The power sockets were next to the drivers distribution panel in the 43 series and the BV tray was usually mounted on the back door so i had some extra long leads made up so that they could be used from the back door. The AFV 436 had the hard wired loom removed for some reason for the door mount.

Dan
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hi there .

212 Sqn eh? Small world, Alpha one troop, 212 Sig Sqn myself just a little bit later than yourself 95-98. Have to agree with you the BV was the best bit of kit in an Armd unit, I always had one on the cage front next to the comanders hatch so we could brew on the move, kept me and my driver warm on those winter night moves.

The power sockets were next to the drivers distribution panel in the 43 series and the BV tray was usually mounted on the back door so i had some extra long leads made up so that they could be used from the back door. The AFV 436 had the hard wired loom removed for some reason for the door mount.

nothing better knowing your next stop you had a hot tin of chicken curry and a tin of sausages ready and plenty hot water left for 2 brews . classic !

Dan

ferny152
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
Most important part of any armoured vehicle CES! Never seen one in a Land Rover, but have seen the heating element some xpm mesh and an ammo box turned into a toaster!

sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 06:54 AM UTC
Without doubt the best bit of Vehicle C E S issued! In my days of 432 touring, (various years fm mid 80s -mid 90s) the BVs were run anytime the engine was running. More often than not, they were mounted on a fold-away shelf on the back door. You would use a lined BV to do your boilies moving between tasks and an un-lined BV to boil brew water. If you had tinned rats you would have to pierce the cans, so they wouldn't explode, and that usually made the water undrinkable because of leakage from the piercings. More often, if the can contents could make a stew, then they were poured into the liner. Other extra rats could be added too and pasta could also be done in one and rice, I suppose, but I hate rice so never tried that one. In my units we never fried anything in them and I'm not sure how you could successfully, because we either used our No2 cookers or in later service we had Camping Gaz double burner cookers as well. These gas cookers were often unit brought, as were the refillable gas bottles, out of unit funds.

I was a Royal Engineer and one thing we always made sure of was that our bellies were full and the beer crates, during the cold war, were stacked high (well at least at the start of exercise or Ops). Post cw we were expected to live longer than 24 hours so they made us give up the beer!!!! We always took extra shop brought food, like bread, bacon, sausages, eggs, powdered mash and even fresh veg. Engineers were meant to be rationed extra to take into account the more physical work undertaken but that mostly didn't happen so we made up for it ourselves.

Back to the BVs though, if I were to get a surplus 24volt land rover, for running around in or off-roading or touring for example then I would definitely try to get a BV to go with it.
 _GOTOTOP