_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Braille Dragon Panther Update
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
The small scale Late Panther is still coming from Dragon Models and we now have a little more detail.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
Why is this series called 'Armor Pro' when it no longer includes PE mesh for the rads and engine vents? Is the commanders' hatch still molded shut?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... the commanders' hatch still molded shut?

While I haven't actually seen this model in person, I believe that we can make certain assumptions. It'll most likely be based on the previous kit #7494 and should be a near twin to that. You can read about the former in the Panther D Early Production Review. The commanders hatch on the earlier kit can be positioned open so I'd presume this one will have the same feature. The really disappointing thing is that the exhaust pipes, jack and rear stowage boxes are moulded on hull rear as opposed to being separate pieces. As for PE with newer Dragon 1/72 kits, I'd say you can forget about it. Oh, there is an aftermarket Accessory Set by Black Dog available with some resin and PE grills but it's $16.45 plus $11.55 shipping (on Ebay and located in Virginia).

Cheers,
Jan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 02:04 AM UTC
Well, that just about wraps it up for Dragon 1/72 . Those Zvezda kits are starting to look mighty good!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
@tread_geek – Jan,

I believe your correct in that this new late version Panther Ausf. D will most certainly be based on their previous release as per your review. However the wording on the CAD drawings of both kits has one thinking that the mentioned parts (exhausts, jack), that are part of the rear hull plate, will come integrally molded to the rear hulls plate. The storage bins will still be the only items molded as part of the hulls rear plate. It would have been an excellent option to have the storage bins molded as separate parts, considering that these items were usually damaged in the field sometimes to the point of having either the crew remove them or being damaged severely enough against trees, walls, etc., that the bins simply fell away from the vehicle. These bins were hung on the rear hull on brackets with a few attaching bolts to a bracket below the bin to secure them.

Again I am seeing the CAD drawings minus the spare track links and as already mentioned no photo-etch screens for the intake / exhaust armored air vents. I’m at least hoping they will include the later produced road wheels with the added bolts.

I for one will be getting this vehicle especially because it includes the armored cover for the deep wading snorkel tubes, I will cast this part for personal use in creating an accurate prototype and initial production Tiger II in the real scale! I’ve been gathering donor kits and aftermarket items for these upcoming projects.

~ Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However the wording on the CAD drawings of both kits has one thinking that the mentioned parts (exhausts, jack), that are part of the rear hull plate, will come integrally molded to the rear hulls plate. The storage bins will still be the only items molded as part of the hulls rear plate.

Eddy,

I'm not so sure about that! We are seeing Dragon do some retreating from their previous standards so almost nothing would surprise me. Here's an image from a new kit review that I'm currently working on.

Note that both the jack and the jack block, that in almost all their kits have been separate pieces, are now moulded onto the back plate. IF, they provide the Sprue 'C' from the first kit for this new version, then the jack and exhaust will be separate pieces. From a best guess perspective, the Sprue 'A' that contains the upper hull and turret pieces will have to be changed and based on their recent kits, may be simplified. This may be speculation but feel it's not unfounded.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP