using vintage oil painting as diorama base
pardre15
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Would anyone say that a vintage oil painting would make a good diorama base? Dead cheap off ebay, with a nice antique wood frame, with some depth. Was thinking of getting rid of horrible painting and glue/screwing ply base to back. Maybe even use for river scene, as could line to waterproof and there's good depth to build styrofoam. Good large size too, as am planning major Arnhem type scene (20"x30". Anyone have any thoughts/or tried something like this? Any input gratefully received.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 03:10 AM UTC
Just so long as it doesn't turn out to be a rare and horribly valuable van Gogh! I regularly use picture frames as dio bases. Just have to make sure the corner angles meet well and the frame is solid enough.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
Ditto but I get my not so rare or old frames at Michaels Art Supply or at yard sales.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto but I get my not so rare or old frames at Michaels Art Supply or at yard sales.

Ditto on the ditto
My local Michael's has a clearance section where they almost always have a "scratch & dent" frame or two dirt cheap because they are missing the matte and glass. And with the 40% off coupons they seem to have every week, even some of the regularly priced frames are equally dirt cheap.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi

The only issue I can see, and this applies to using old or new frames is that some are ornate, patterned, complex profiles which will detract away from the diorama, which should be the main focus of the viewers attention.

Simply, elegant profile shape is what I would use, making sure nothing distracts the viewer from the diorama and the story its telling.

One other point is that with most picture frames the profile usually works the opposite way to what you want from a diorama plinth, in other words gets thinner towards the inside where the canvas/picture is. Usually a diorama has a raised base in some way and you want the thickness of frame at that point then thinner towards the outside. In other words inside out compared to the picture frame if that makes sense.

Alan
 _GOTOTOP