Hosted by Darren Baker
DML M4A3 105mm Sherman 1/6 - plane_mc
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC
I decided to take the plunge and build a tank. I picked up the DML kit a little over a month ago and I am just getting going on it. I guess I was one of the lucky few as my kit was complete with all the track links and end connectors. I did have 3 of the chevron track pieces short-shot, but I have just enough good ones to do both sides.

My plans as of now are to build a full interior for it, including the engine. If anyone has any pictures/drawings/measurements of the 105mm gun cradle/mount/breech they would be willing to share, I could use anything I can get my hands on. I am also in need of some information on the ammo storage for the 105mm. I fully expect this to be a long term project.

I started by added some spacers to the main transmission housing piece to help align the sides when I glue the pieces together. I don’t know why the ribs were molded so far in from the sides when the side pieces should fit flush with the outside edge.

I decided to start the scratch building with the transmission. I resized some ordnance drawings to make them 1/6 scale and started building off of them. I had to modify the side pieces of the transmission housing by removing some plastic at the ends and top. I also had to grind down the mating surfaces on the tub where the side pieces connect so my new side pieces would fit properly.

Here is what I have so far.

I still need to add a lot of detail to the piece, but at least I am getting started.

I am also getting a wheel ready to make a mold to cast the road wheel backs that DML doesn’t include in the kit. This will be my first try at casting, so I hope I do it right. I still have to add a few details to the wheel before I make the mold.

I guess that is it for now, thanks for looking.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
Mark.
Glad to see another bave soul taking this one on.
STOP.count your end connectors, be sure you have 320 of them (2 bags) and 1 bag (160) of the extended duckbills.
As you want to scratch build the transmission,I won't mention, that there is a company which makes 1/6th interior bits. In your case, Plastruct and Evergreen will be your best friends.
I am using Cast on for the rubber to the mold, and Cast on plastic casting material to make my backs.I plan on showing the alterations I have to do to those,and the inner peg of the kit supplied roadwheel tonight.
Hint:
I hope you have a dremel.
Feel free to message me if you have any major questions or stumbling blocks.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

STOP.count your end connectors, be sure you have 320 of them (2 bags) and 1 bag (160) of the extended duckbills.

I got lucky and have enough . . . 324 end connectors and 160+ duckbills. I don't know how I got lucky enough to get them included after hearing how many people didn't.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
Wow... I didn't need to see this! Another 1/6 Sherman build on the Big A has me itching more than ever to get one.

I love that you are doing an interior as that should be great to follow!

~ Jeff
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow... I didn't need to see this! Another 1/6 Sherman build on the Big A has me itching more than ever to get one.

I love that you are doing an interior as that should be great to follow!

~ Jeff

Take the plunge, the more the merrier.

I am not promising any quick progress on mine, but I will do what I can.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC
I guess it is time to post an update, it’s been a while.
I have been continuing working on the transmission. I added more details to the “vertical” portion of the transmission then got working on the “horizontal” portion. I started out making a structure for the inside of the transmission. It consists of 3 bulkheads and 5 tubes to support them. I wrapped the bulkheads with styrene strips to give more gluing surface for the wrap of styrene that would follow.

After that, I added more styrene strips/shapes to build it up to what is in the following pictures. I forgot to take pictures along the way unfortunately, but you can pretty much see what was done to create the shapes.

It is not 100% accurate and there are still more details to add, but I am happy with how it is turning out.

I guess that is it for now, thanks for looking.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
Work has been continuing on the transmission. I pretty much finished up the back end of it by making the input shaft, tachometer and speedometer outputs, shifter and shift linkages.

A view from inside the tank.

A view looking through the drivers hatch.

I am pretty much finished up with the transmission until I get the steering arms done up so I can make the linkages to the transmission. There are a few small details to add still, but I am going to start working a different part of the tank for now. Like I said before, it is not 100% correct, but should look the part in the finished vehicle.

Thanks for looking.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC
Very nice job!
That is the benefit of this scale,detail parts are large enough to actually build,and use hex rod for nuts, rather than blobs.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have been steadily working on this, although the progress doesn’t look like it. This step took me a long time to get the details sorted out and I still have a little tweaking to do on it.

I have been working on the driver controls – steering levers, gas pedal, clutch pedal and all the linkages. As of now, everything is moveable, whether or not it stays that way will be determined later in the build.

I also simulated the escape hatch. I debated about making it work and come out of the tank, but decided that because of the way the hull bottom is molded with the ribbing, that the thickness would be too great and not look right. Plus, once assembled, I don’t know how I could ever get my hand down in there to open it up.

Here is how it looks as of now with the transmission.

Thanks for looking.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Wow... this is intense work for sure!

Jeff
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice detailing so far.I would make the controls static,GI Joes don't move controls!.
Later, keep in mind,you will need a second ventilator near the back top odf the turret, for the 105 howitzer version. Son Of Sherman is good for this.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice detailing so far.I would make the controls static,GI Joes don't move controls!.
Later, keep in mind,you will need a second ventilator near the back top odf the turret, for the 105 howitzer version. Son Of Sherman is good for this.

Thanks, I need to look at my Son of Sherman again, but I thought the early 105's used the same turret as the 75mm, esp with the split copula. I could be wrong as I haven't checked in a while.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Mark,

This is sensational/inspirational work, I'll for sure be following this. Love to see this sort of passion.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 05:40 AM UTC
From the onset, the modified turret to house the 105 had the second ventilator. Other characteristics were the high bustle, oval loader's hatch, MG mounting hardware on rear of bustle. The split commanders hatches were in place due to shortages of the later all-around vision turret.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the onset, the modified turret to house the 105 had the second ventilator. Other characteristics were the high bustle, oval loader's hatch, MG mounting hardware on rear of bustle. The split commanders hatches were in place due to shortages of the later all-around vision turret.

Thanks Roy, I appreciate the information. I will make a note of it for use when I get to that part of the build.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Mark, check your sprues for unused parts.I am thinking the second ventilator is on one sprue,but no marked as do not use, and not shown being attached, in the instructions
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, check your sprues for unused parts.I am thinking the second ventilator is on one sprue,but no marked as do not use, and not shown being attached, in the instructions

Thanks Carl, I will take a look. That would sure make things easier if it is there.
crusader1xxx
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC
What happened to this build? I am in the process of building one of these tanks and am doing something similar with the interior
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Awesome build, hope you will continue building it into an awesome Sherman. Where do the lines on the driver's side of the transmission go underneath? Would love to pick one up myself at some point when I can justify what has to be a sturdy price.
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What happened to this build? I am in the process of building one of these tanks and am doing something similar with the interior

I am still slowly (extremely) working on this as I am in the mood to do so. I haven't accomplished too much with it, nothing worth showing in pictures anyway. It is sitting in the middle of my modeling room and I pick up pieces every once in a while and do a little work. I hope to get back on it seriously soon.

plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome build, hope you will continue building it into an awesome Sherman. Where do the lines on the driver's side of the transmission go underneath? Would love to pick one up myself at some point when I can justify what has to be a sturdy price.

Thanks, the lines go under the transmission and connect to the bottom of the plate that the transmission bolts to. If you look in one of the pictures without the transmission, you can see the 2 posts at the bottom right below where the transmission is mounted.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
WOW
crusader1xxx
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 07:54 AM UTC
Thanks for reply. Do you know where i could find the ordinance drawings you used? I really want to do this right, thanks
Andy
plane_mc
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for reply. Do you know where i could find the ordinance drawings you used? I really want to do this right, thanks
Andy

Andy, I don't remember exactly where I found the drawings, but everything I found was found using Google. You have to really search and to be honest, I used drawings/pictures from different versions figuring the details would be close enough. I am building this as a museum restoration, which probably wouldn't be 100% accurate anyway, at least that is my story.
crusader1xxx
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 06:06 AM UTC
Mark
Thanks again for the info...my tank is about 50% completed, then i found this thread..and thought i would like to do some interior items as well...
 _GOTOTOP