_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking to make DUKW soup
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 04:17 PM UTC
Just a request friends.

I was wondering if anyone out there was building a DUKW and were planning on using the larger aftermarket resin tires?

Would you be willing to part with the original Italeri kit tires? I am in need of several sets of these "super single" tires.

Buy or Trade.

Thanks
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a request friends.

I was wondering if anyone out there was building a DUKW and were planning on using the larger aftermarket tires?

Would you be willing to part with the original Italeri kit tires? I am in need of several sets of these "super single" tires.

Buy or Trade.

Thanks

For what, if I might ask? The kit tires are the wrong size for what they claim to be and the wrong shape for just about any pneumatic tire.

http://www.track-link.com/reviews/1034/1

KL
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 11:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply none-the-less.

I have several planned WWII projects where CCKW's were equipped with the super single tires. A radio truck with Ben Hur trailer in North Africa, a pontoon bolster truck and a 3 axle fire truck.

I have one set of tires so far and it looks like the bolster truck may end up requiring the larger resin tires. Problem is the Ben Hur trailer also had the Super Singles so I would need 8 plus spare for the radio truck, 6 plus spare for the fire truck and 8 plus spare for the bolster truck including its' custom pole trailer.

I can share the photos here if you wish or you can go to my Deuce and a Half blog at:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203281&ord=&page=1

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a request friends.

I was wondering if anyone out there was building a DUKW and were planning on using the larger aftermarket tires?

Buy or Trade.

Thanks

Hi, Mike! I have an ITALERI DUKW for which I bought a set of resin "correction" tires for shortly after buying the kit. How soon do you need those "original" kit tires? If time is not an issue, I can get back to you on this in about a week's time. Here's the "catch"- I moved to a new location just recently, so my "stash" is actually in THREE DIFFERENT LOCATIONS. I would need to find the DUKW kit for you first. Once I find the kit, YOU CAN HAVE THE ORIGINAL TIRES FOR FREE...

I am in need of an extra ITALERI CCKW Water Tank Truck kit, or TWO of them, if you have them. I would be happy to BUY them from you, if you are willing to part with them. A couple of years ago, there was a guy on eBay selling a lot of 5 of these- I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM AT THE TIME, but I passed up the chance to buy them, because I wanted an HO Brass Wabash P-1 Class 4-6-4 build-project, which I completed successfully. Oh, well...

In any case, you can let me know about the CCKW Water Tank kits, and I'll see if I can hunt that DUKW up for you in the mean time... Talk to you later...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 02:55 PM UTC
Dennis

I don't have any spare water trucks to trade. They are sort of the bread and butter for most of the conversions I do and I am down to two right now. Soon I will be starting a firetruck that needs one of them and either a radio truck or a SWB that will need the other.

Probably be best to just buy them off you if you are not going to use them..

Mike
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 02:57 PM UTC
None of this is in any kind of a rush. These are projects down the road and I already have one set off my own DUKW.

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply none-the-less.

I have several planned WWII projects where CCKW's were equipped with the super single tires. A radio truck with Ben Hur trailer in North Africa, a pontoon bolster truck and a 3 axle fire truck.

I have one set of tires so far and it looks like the bolster truck may end up requiring the larger resin tires. Problem is the Ben Hur trailer also had the Super Singles so I would need 8 plus spare for the radio truck, 6 plus spare for the fire truck and 8 plus spare for the bolster truck including its' custom pole trailer.

I can share the photos here if you wish or you can go to my Deuce and a Half blog at:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203281&ord=&page=1

Well, I guess you are going to modify them or something because the Italeri DUKW kit tires are awful representations of 11.00-18 MD tires.

KL
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC
OK, now you guys have me worried - I will take another look at the Italeri tires.

Mike
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, now you guys have me worried - I will take another look at the Italeri tires.

Mike

"Guys"? You mean guy. No one but me has said anything here against them. If you look in my second post there's a link that shows the outline of the kit wheel (in red) overlaid on the outline of an 11.00-18 MD tire.

KL
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 08:46 PM UTC
You are not the only person I am talking to about this though you seem to think you are. What are you getting cranked for?

You have me thinking I shouldn't use these tires at all but I am also wondering if I could sand a better profile into them by hand? Also I am now thinking I should use the resin tires on all my Deuces but they seem way too large diameter wise.

Chill out. There is no rush on the Super Singles project.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC
Kurt

Sorry I am adding this as and after thought: but I do appreciate your input.

I would have thought Italeri would have had some touch with reality when they produced those tires but I guess that is to much to hope for from a model manufacture.

You have me feeling now like they are just junk and I should toss them.

Mike

P.s. if one compares the Italeri Deuce tire with the Tamiya Deuce tire the Italeri item is fairly much a junk piece also.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would have thought Italeri would have had some touch with reality when they produced those tires but I guess that is to much to hope for from a model manufacture.

They probably didn't know enough to notice and the vast majority of modelers don't care. The really unfortunate part is that Italeri reduced the rear axle spacing on their DUKW, apparently to compensate for the "too far apart look" that the too small tires gave. The wheel wells are OK, I think, so a correct rear axle group (MIG Productions, maybe Tamiya?) can be used instead.

Quoted Text

P.s. if one compares the Italeri Deuce tire with the Tamiya Deuce tire the Italeri item is fairly much a junk piece also.

It is a bad idea to compare one scale representation to another. Always check models against reality individually.

I don't know if you were using the MD illustration in that link I gave to check NDCC tires, but they aren't the same.

KL
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis

I don't have any spare water trucks to trade. They are sort of the bread and butter for most of the conversions I do and I am down to two right now. Soon I will be starting a firetruck that needs one of them and either a radio truck or a SWB that will need the other.

Probably be best to just buy them off you if you are not going to use them..

Mike

Hi, Mike! I think that you may have misunderstood me- The ITALERI DUKW: I am willing to send them out to you once I find my DUKW kit. FOR FREE- I HAVE NO NEED OF THEM.

Secondly, I meant to say that IF we were to do a deal for the ITALERI CCKW Tank Trucks, this deal would have had NOTHING to do with the DUKW wheels. Since you want to keep the CCKW Tank Trucks for yourself, I withdraw my offer to buy them from you. I'll get whatever I need on my own in due time, because I am in no rush...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:42 AM UTC
No I used General Patton's CCKW office truck at Ft. Knox to confirm my suspicions about the regular general service Deuce wheels and tires.

F.Y.I. When you buy the correct resin wheels for the DUKW you also get replacement springs and hangers to correct the axle spacing. Yes the wheel welds are the correct size.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks Dennis - I did misunderstand you!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

F.Y.I. When you buy the correct resin wheels for the DUKW you also get replacement springs and hangers to correct the axle spacing. Yes the wheel welds are the correct size.

Be aware, the MiG replacement wheels have flaws all their own:
http://www.track-link.com/reviews/1026

KL
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC
OK Kurt - what do you think ? Are these standard DUKW sized Super Single tires? I could see the thinking that these would be needed on a pontoon truck that would be going down to the river's edge to unload bridging pontoons into the water.

I am tending towards thinking that they are the standard DUKW tires and that I should go for the after market DUKW tires instead of trying to get by on the cheap recycling the too small Italeri DUKW tires.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK Kurt - what do you think ? Are these standard DUKW sized Super Single tires? I could see the thinking that these would be needed on a pontoon truck that would be going down to the river's edge to unload bridging pontoons into the water.

I am tending towards thinking that they are the standard DUKW tires and that I should go for the after market DUKW tires instead of trying to get by on the cheap recycling the too small Italeri DUKW tires.

Hi, Mike! If I were you, I would check to see what a US ARMY DUKW Tech Manual says in the "Specifications" Table- these Spec Tables will usually state Tire and Wheel sizes. PRESIDIO PRESS carries various tech manuals in their stock, and are usually available for a decent price. If you don't want to spend the money, you can also find various online sources of info regarding the DUKW's specs...

PS- There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC
What do you think Dennis. In the photo above those are starting to look like standard DUKW tires to me. Now the question: who makes the best aftermarket tires.

Kurt any suggestions/opinion?

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you think Dennis. In the photo above those are starting to look like standard DUKW tires to me. Now the question: who makes the best aftermarket tires.

I can't tell anything from that photo about the tires - it's too dark. It would not surprise me if that truck and trailer used 11.00-18 MD tires. I have heard of that previously. The primary advantage of the MD tires (which is why they were used on DUKWs and desert kits) is that they had a flexible sidewall that bulged out at low pressure. This increased the footprint and decreased the ground pressure. This is also why MD tires did not have sharp shoulders. For this to work though the tires had to be mounted on split "combat" rims with beadlocks that kept the tires attached even at low inflation pressures.

You might want to check out this article: http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/Tires/tires.html

Presidio Press is out of business.

I know of four makers of 11.00-18 MD tires: Italeri, Armory by Gauntlett, MIG Productions, and Trakz. The first two are bad. The third is poor. I have no opinion on the fourth.

Now, could HW or MS tires with non-combat rims be mounted on a DUKW? Sure! Would the DUKW sink up to its belly on the beach or river bank? Sure!

KL
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Mike! I bought the MIG PRO-DUKW-CTIONS Upgrade set, which also contains parts for the suspension- Most Bang-for-the-Buck..?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:56 PM UTC
I think it might be bright enough in this photo to see the tires?

Looks like these are the 11x18's on combat rims just like on the DUKW?

Opinions?

I vote Yes!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 12:19 AM UTC
Rear deck detail.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 - 01:27 AM UTC
Once again I will ask the question:

Anyone building the Italeri DUKW and substituting the larger resin after market wheels and tires?

I am interested in taking the old Italeri "Super Single" tires off your hands. I would like to find several sets if possible.

Mike
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 - 09:39 AM UTC
Mike, those Italeri tires will be fine with some reprofiling along the tread edges. Its the best game in town for cheap.

I think I still have a damaged DUKW in my storage. If the box is still there, the tires are yours. Luckily, I will be passing by home in a day or so. Will check and let you know.
 _GOTOTOP