_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What If ? PT-76B
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 05:59 PM UTC
I've gotten around to starting one of my many envisioned "what if" projects. This one's a "what if" latin american PT-76B. Looking to have her done by Sept. 16.

So far I'm not really sure about the storage boxes, had them as spares from my T-55 kits and wanted to use them. Not to weird looking right? Replaced the SGMT, with a Verlinden .30 cal and am working on a AFV club .50 cal on there. Gonna have to make my own mount, looks like. Which is alright since I'm working a simple gunner's shield on it. Might go crazy and try some smoke grenade launchers on the turret ala T-72A. Something like 3 tubes on each side. Looks like my first attempt at using putty to make the dust cover around the mantlet looks okay.

Going to paint it up in a nice digital camo, but I'm keeping her clean for the parade. Any thoughts or comments welcome. Those storage boxes.........
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 12:29 AM UTC
Love the boxes, keep 'em fer sure.

You might want to do a little more to indicate that this reall is a "what if". Perhaps change the engine deck? Make it look like that on an Israeli Late M51? The israelis were very willing to help other small nations upgrade their armour.

In that vein, you could also fit the front of th etuirret and the hull with ERA blocks. Now that would be different!

ERA blocks, a .50 above the mantlet, Israeli antenna mounts, maybe a 60mm mortar on the turret, some French smoke grenade launchers on the turret and some M51-looking stowage on the hull and get rid of any of the swimming capability. All of a sudden you have a Salvadoran army "Pantera" (Panther), a T-76B after Israeli upgrading.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP