_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
VIDEO
Unboxing the Tamiya Gama Goat!
PlasticGeezer
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 11:05 AM UTC
We used the Goat in the Support Squadron of the 3rd ACR in Fort Bliss TX in the early '80's. I was in the ground surveillance radar platoon of the regiment's CEWI company. Our TO&E called for M-113's, but those were some lean times in the late 70's early 80's. It was an interesting vehicle, to say the least. Easy on maintenance, but as Keef said, 'a cold ride'. They werer supposed to be amphibious, too. We never did find out, thankfully, being in the desert and all.
PlasticGeezer
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 11:07 AM UTC
http://www.primeportal.net/trucks/hans-hermann_buhling/m561_gamma_goat/ has a good walkaround, by the way. Most of the stowage and gear was carried in the back, not outside. The large came net was usually stashed on the engine cover, as seen in the photos.
gmat5037
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 12:05 PM UTC
I found some prints from 1975 when I shot some vehicles at Schofield Barracks. Pre-MERDC OD. 25 3-4 Cav HQ-56 in white. US Army * NGO36K in black. HQ-36 (also in white) was next to it, but you can't see the sn. They all had the soft top cab and the canvas covered rear section. A different one in a different park had a trailer (also with the canvas cover) parked behind it, but we couldn't get near it. HQ-56 had two small boards hanging from the front bumper. Red with white crew member names in white. There was the yellow bridge weight disc with 04 in black with a small red c above it. Possibly black stenciling on the left fuel tank. US Army and SN in black on the rear section. I had to shoot it from the front with a 200mm lens as we couldn't get near the goats.
About 10 years later I shot a MERDEC goat at a weekend display in Waianae. 25-I-27 CS - 64 in black. The tan in the MERDEC was replaced with a red brown, the bridge disc was OD with 04 in black. No star or US Army or SN in the front. The fuel tank on the right side had three rows of black stenciling.
None of the goats I saw had the winches in the front.
In 74 or early 75, I visited Kaneohe and shot some Marine Goats. Green with the unit shield, from what I can remember. Don't have my pics easily available.

Grant
 _GOTOTOP