_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Up Armored Scimitar LEP. with Bar Armor.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:01 AM UTC
I have received my Scimitar update/upgrade kit from Terry Beal, owner of 'Castoff' models.

The kit is intended as an upgrade to the AFV Club Scimitar kit. It contains both the LEP armor plus the later added 'Bar Armor'..

Very little would be needed to bring it fully up to date as per current TES. deployment level (Afghanistan).. Sensors on the front armor and the anti IED antenna table above and rear of the turret.

But it is my intention (at this point) to build it (as Mike Roof says) 'out of the box'

I hope to lay out the parts and photograph them this weekend.

This will be a general interest build and I hope some of you will enjoy it as I struggle through it.

Keith.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
I would be very interested to see Castoff offering and your build, so please keep us posted. As for building the vehicle OOB... please reconsider this. I'd love to hear your thought on what is needed to further improve the kit and see you tackle scratchbuilding those details.

Mario
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 06:34 AM UTC
Just to see where this is going, here is Terry's model as used on the front of his kit box

And unpainted.

Rear.

I do hope I am able to do his kit justice.

Keith.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hola Keith, theres a few uparmoured Scimitar pics on this link that I posted a few years back. Might come in useful? http://armorama.com/forums/132549&ord=&page=3
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Glad to see you back on Armorama, Keith!

I'm sure that this build will be up to your usual high standards (out of the box or not), and the Castoff upgrade / update looks very nice, indeed.

I am simply amazed at some of the resin casting that we're seeing these days, and that bar / slat armor is wonderful looking.

As always, I'll be looking forward to following this one.

Happy modeling!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to see you back on Armorama, Keith!

I'm sure that this build will be up to your usual high standards (out of the box or not), and the Castoff upgrade / update looks very nice, indeed.

I am simply amazed at some of the resin casting that we're seeing these days, and that bar / slat armor is wonderful looking.

As always, I'll be looking forward to following this one.

Happy modeling!

Thank's Mike and Mario for your following along with this.. As I have another project on the go this one will be slow going but anyway here is a start.

Terry Beal (Castoff owner) ships his kits in a really stout box, stuffed full of Styrofoam Peanuts, keeping the parts from shifting during all the 'gentle' handling those wonderful Post Office workers both sides of the pond put it through.

It took 9 days to get from Yorkshire (UK) to my hands in 'Sunny South Carolina', pretty good considering.

Terry's instructions, helpful hints and 'WARNINGS' are clearly defined on the front and part way through the assembly procedure.
NOTE the 'TEST FIT EVERYTHING' at the bottom, written in BOLD.. (I think he means it) ..

For the Turret!

Each of the main parts come packaged in small Ziplock bags.

The 'Slats' bags are marked for location. A quick look shows that the slats are straight and flat.
Each piece will have to have the Resin web carefully removed.

The donor kit (lower hull, wheels and tracks) are of course the AFV Club Scimitar, plus aftermarket tracks, if your feeling flush with cash (I am not).

Having built the AFV Club Scimitar and Scorpion (out of the box) a simple remedy to 'sag' the track exists, more when I reach that stage.

Enjoy.

Keith.
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 01:43 AM UTC
Following this mate as I have mine too.
Terry
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Terry's instructions, helpful hints and 'WARNINGS' are clearly defined on the front and part way through the assembly procedure.
NOTE the 'TEST FIT EVERYTHING' at the bottom, written in BOLD..

Keith.

This will surely be a very nice companion piece to some of your other recent builds, Keith. Slat armor and light stone paintwork seems to be theme!

It's also nice to see the effort that some manufacturers put into actually communicating with the builders and trying to help with the construction process. Would that more kit makers take a page from Mr. Beal's book and use their instructions as a form of dialog with the builder rather than (as seems more common nowadays) a CAD designer's afterthought.

I'm looking forward to seeing more, as you progress.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Keith, have you perhaps thought about writing a full review of this kit for Armorama? Something like an 'inbox' and then linking it to this build log. That way it would be stored in Armorama database for anyone to see what the kit is all about.

Anyway, I'll be following your progress.
Mario
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith, have you perhaps thought about writing a full review of this kit for Armorama? Something like an 'inbox' and then linking it to this build log. That way it would be stored in Armorama database for anyone to see what the kit is all about.

Anyway, I'll be following your progress.
Mario

Mario, the simple answer is No. I have my own reasons for that answer, Nuff said.

Anyone can hit the sarch bar and find what they need by way of help here, plus I don't have time to dedicate to this build... Others will finish their kits well before I do..

Keith.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC
Keith,

Good to see you "at another one".

It makes me think of s big cheese grater with a Rarden cannon!

Looking forward to this one at our club meeting Wednesday evening.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keith, have you perhaps thought about writing a full review of this kit for Armorama?

Mario, the simple answer is No. I have my own reasons for that answer, Nuff said.

OK, I respect that.

I will keep my eye on your build as I have an interest in CVRt vehicles... and was actually thinking about getting this particular conversion myself. So, bring it on!

Mario
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keith, have you perhaps thought about writing a full review of this kit for Armorama?

OK, I respect that.

I will keep my eye on your build as I have an interest in CVRt vehicles... and was actually thinking about getting this particular conversion myself. So, bring it on!

Mario

Mario.
Another CVR(T) lurks on my table at the same time and this one is an early Scorpion with floatation screen.

This will depict one seen in Norway, Ex. Hardfall Express 1977, as crewed by men of The Life Guards.

Again, this is an upgraded hull conversion kit from Terry Beal and Castoff.

The kit indicates it can be used for either Scimitar or Scorpion BUT it cannot.

The Scimitar deck grills are different and only the Scorpion wading screen had the metal cover on the front due to the blast from the short barrel and possible damage.

I am also working on a Chieftain Mk.7 ARRV. Hence the slow and general build of this Scimitar.

Keith.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 06:15 AM UTC
Nice! The cream resin is from Jaguar conversion? IIRC, you and Terry both served in The Life Guards, so this should be a very evocative piece.

Mario
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... Terry's instructions, helpful hints and 'WARNINGS' are clearly defined on the front and part way through the assembly procedure.

Keith.

This will surely be a very nice companion piece to some of your other recent builds, Keith. Slat armor and light stone paintwork seems to be theme!

It's also nice to see the effort that some manufacturers put into actually communicating with the builders and trying to help with the construction process. Would that more kit makers take a page from Mr. Beal's book and use their instructions as a form of dialog with the builder rather than (as seems more common nowadays) a CAD designer's afterthought.

Hi guys and thanks for your remarks. This is the most complicated conversion/upgrade to date and is not the easiest to put together so I had to really think about the instructions as if I had not seen the kit before.

I welcome any feedback that would make it easier for the modeller or what else I could come out with without going mad and stuff that would fit in with my range. The Scimitar 2 is at the top of the list but it will take a while as it will be a full kit, s'pose I could do the Spartan at the same time.

Terry.
Castoff.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keith.

Hi guys and thanks for your remarks. This is the most complicated conversion/upgrade to date and is not the easiest to put together so I had to really think about the instructions as if I had not seen the kit before.

I welcome any feedback that would make it easier for the modeller or what else I could come out with without going mad and stuff that would fit in with my range. The Scimitar 2 is at the top of the list but it will take a while as it will be a full kit, s'pose I could do the Spartan at the same time.

Terry.
Castoff.

Trust me when I say, if I can put it together using your instructions Terry, then they will be first class...

Keith...
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC
Ah well here we are a small update while I rest my fingers from cleaning and assembling individual Fruil Track links for an EARLY Scorpion I am working on.

I have cut the hull tub from the AFV Club Scimitar as indicated in Terry's instructions.
A point to note here is, when you attach the updated front and rear ends (with uparmored belly plates) you will note that the side walls of the kit are to high and you will have to reduce them accordingly.

Ensure you keep them level and equal side to side. I will smooth the sanding before adding the upper hull.

The underside of the new Resin upper hull has a few bumps and air bubbles but nothing that cannot be rectified with a light sanding and filling of the bubbles with super glue.
Remember, this area will be very hard to see after it is completed and I much prefer any imperfections to be on the underside.

More when I have time.

Keith.
Crox77
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:38 AM UTC
Nice start Keith I have one of these kits too lots of tiny parts for holding the bar armour on
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice start Keith I have one of these kits too lots of tiny parts for holding the bar armour on

Then your input is welcome, perhaps you would like to share your build with us?

Keith.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 07:54 PM UTC
Looking good so far. I know what you mean about those Friul tracks, I recently assembled a set (late tracks though)... If I were to do another set, I would use MasterClub resin rivets instead of Friul end connectors cast in white metal.

Mario
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far. I know what you mean about those Friul tracks, I recently assembled a set (late tracks though)... If I were to do another set, I would use MasterClub resin rivets instead of Friul end connectors cast in white metal.

Mario

Thanks Mario I will look into those as of course I am going to need a late set for this model...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:40 AM UTC
While allowing part of another project to dry I went to work on this beastie.
You will notice that I have aquired, thanks to Terry, a later and updated set of headlights.
The outer and newer pair have simulated convex lense with some detail and depth surrounding them plus the attachment points at the rear (top) of the cover.
Much nicer than the original flat set that lacks any sort of detail.

In order to center and correctly place the upper hull (front and rear, side to side) simply locate kit part No.13 on the C sprue and glue them (towing brackets) into the Resin nose and once set, align them with the cut out location points in the underside of the Resin flotation platform.

This will then bring the nose into the correct alignment and position.

All that is required now is to ensure things are square from front to rear.
When your satisfied, then reach inside the hull top turret opening and place a spot of glue on the inside of the left and right sponsons.
This will hold it (upper and lower hulls) in place and they should be easy to remove (separate) if need be.
Glue and seal upper and lower hulls when things are to your satisfaction and liking..

Clean up and sand off the bottom of the front bins and attach the two outside ones first.
Next add the headlights and then the center bin.

Everything fits nicely....
You can see one of my other projects lurking alongside.

I may get chance to add a little more tomorrow, stay tuned.

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:55 AM UTC
Progressing along nicely, Keith!

As always, I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Keith

Any more progress on this build? Really interested to see how it looks and compare it with my scratch built effort from a couple of years ago

I've just started work on a Scimitar 2 after putting it off for 2 years! Will be using Accurate Armour's Spartan and going to experiment with the Warrior Bar armour PE from them as well. I'll start a post about it when I get the chance...
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
I'm interested now!

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP