Hosted by Darren Baker
M2A2 Bradley
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 12:19 AM UTC
Finished up another Wargaming vehicle today ...... a 1/50th Empress Miniatures (ex Imprint Models) Bradley.

Ok it's not 1/48th, but it's close. As for the odd scale it's a wargaming vehicle and I can only think they wre trying to fit their range in with the gaming diecast crowd, Dinky and Solido which are 1/50th.

A few details were added to make it presentable (wip pics in the Unfinished Buisness Campaign) and it took me some time to get the colour right as this is my first large scale US modern.

Shortcomings of the model aside I think it scrubbed up quite well - it looks like a Bradley at least.

Anyway as usual it's brush painted with GW acrylics over enamel primer. Decals came from a 1/35th Academy M113 (mini rant - I wish manufacturers of gaming vehicles would stock/supply decals for their vehicles). Troops are modern Kiwis from the Skirmish Sangin range, not painted by me unfortunately, I just have them on hand to take pics of them for their website.

As an aside I'm just about to start a stash of Airfix British modern vehicles for the owner of the Bradley who's gonna be using all this stuff with the Skirmish Sangin rules. So more moderns on the way ..........

cheers
Brent

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC
You did a nice job on the paint. It's a shame the model is not really detailed considering what quarter scale models offer today.
The tracks are nothing close to the actual ones.

I didn't know wargaming used such "big" vehicles.

Olivier
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You did a nice job on the paint. It's a shame the model is not really detailed considering what quarter scale models offer today.
The tracks are nothing close to the actual ones.

I didn't know wargaming used such "big" vehicles.

Olivier

Hi Oliver,

Thnx for the comments. Yeah unfotunately it's not a kit, it's firmly aimed at the wargaming market (a parts count of 14). As such there are limitations due to it being drop cast and trying to keep costs down. Some 1/56th wargaming vehicles have a 1 part cast for the hull and tracks with moulded base included in that 1 casting!

From the plus side as a wargamer, at least we have access to a huge range of vehicles that no kit manufacturer would ever produce for us. The downside is generally detail and in particular tracks, which most game kit manufacturers find very difficult to master and then produce.

As for such a big vehicle, for a small skirmish infantry game a Bradley is a big asset. There are people though who game larger actions of over platoon size up to company size in some cases, on larger tables.

cheers
Brent

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
Got your point about the wargamer market.

When I mentioned big vehicles, I was speaking of the scale. I have seen a lot of warhammer vehicles which were more 1/87 like than bigger scale ones.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP