_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
First RC Tank - Tamiya Panther G
Toyguy
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 04:01 PM UTC
I'm just getting started on my first RC tank, the Tamiya Panther G in 1/16 scale. I thought I'd start up a log just in case anyone else was contemplating this kit and wanted to see how it went together.

I'm not planning a lot of detail work on this since it will be bashing around outdoors come spring, but there will be some add-ons where they make sense.

Starting off, I painted the bare chassis with a gray metal primer after giving it a wash. The rear looks light because I stopped in order to get the next two pieces installed.

In the next two shots, you can see the first add-on - a pair of Impact Upgrades sprocket wheel guides. These add some rigidity to the front of the hull and add some weld bead detail and a nice texture.

Finally, I installed the torsion bar stays before I realized that the vertical tabs need to be cut off for the Impact torsion bar system, so more on that next time!

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC
RC isn't too popular here, but I am heavily into it and need to finish my Panther!

Keep up with the pictures buddy!

Jeff
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
Keep them coming. I've always wanted one of these kits - they just cost so damn much.
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC
Keep up the posts Dave. I have built 5 Tamiya RC kits: Tiger, King Tiger, Sherman( modified to M4A3E8), Pershing and JS-2. Up detailed all of them and pulled out all the stops on KT. I try not to bash them around though ,to much work and money. I have been looking at a Panther or Panzer IV. Might wait to see Tamiya's next full option kit
Cheers
Dave
Beobachtungsbereich
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:13 PM UTC
I've always wanted to do this one. I have the full option Tamiya Leo2A6 with the additional stab system.

They really are fun to build.
Toyguy
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments! I'm really looking forward to spring time and being able to run this around the yard :-)

Got a bit more done. The Impact torsion bar system is installed. I stumbled on a tip out on the net somewhere about using the Tamiya bars on the first and last road wheels since they're considerably stiffer, so I'm trying that. It'll be easy enough to switch if I don't like it. The suspension arms are also painted and installed.

Here's a close-up of the idler adjustment mechanism. There are some aftermarket alternatives, but the general consensus was they weren't that great, so stock it is!

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
You're right Dave, the stock idler adjustment works just fine, even with metal tracks. The weak point is the idler arm (which is a cast/white metal) and can break. There is not a metal replacement for it yet (last I heard) but Daryl Turner said the one he makes for the TI will fit and it being made of metal will not break.

Looks like you're getting somewhere now on your Panther! You might just shame me into finishing mine!

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP