_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IBG Bedford QLR Wireless Truck Blog
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC
Sometimes one runs into a design which looks very attractive, without being able to explain clearly why.
For me, the Bedford QL series is one of those designs.
I just have to build at least one!
Therefore, I went to Groningen, NL, yesterday to purchase at Krikke my own Bedford.
Since PMMS Perth has written a perfect review (http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/ibg/igb35015.html) I will repeat here only some minor remarks, my box showed.
I have in front of me the BedfordQLR Wireless, IBG # 35017. The box shows a nice painting of a QLR, used by the Polish 1st Armoured Division HQ in England, spring 1944.
All parts are well packed in three plastic bags. The instructions are 20 A4 pages, using black-and-white photos. Next to the fact that the parts do have vary small spots, which show where to add another part, the photos are quite large and very clear. No suprises will be expected.
The build is in 37 steps, starting with the wheels, via the engine (4 steps), the cabin (8 steps), the frame (10 steps) and the part, which gave the whole its name, the wireless cabin (7 steps).
The only small sinc holes are on the two front lights on frame B, and on the outside and inside roof vents of the office. Though the outside is less visible than the inside.
Frame A and B give the impression to belong to the basic series Bedford, frame E and F, next to the clear parts, are related to the wireless version.

Certainly, the OoB build will produce a very impressive and clean model, without any big objections. But I want to make it a bit better than just OoB!

And there is the point where the first challanges start:
I have ordered the QLD etch set from Part of Poland via Jaddar, since this etch fret is specially designed for the IBG Bedford. Alternatives may be found by Eduard, designed for the Italeri Bedford gun portee, or the fret from Resicast, which is part of the complete resin Resicast QLR. Which is, by the way, another series of QLR. But I do not want to be faced by little misfitts, thus having myself restricted to Part of Poland.

So, let us start!

Not with glue, knife and other tools, but with a carefull research on some parts.
I guess this will be a long build log, since I need this forum to find answers!

My first questions are:

1. the two options are a. a mickey mouse eared Polish truck in 1944 and b. a single colored truck from the Div Artillery HQ, 15 (Scottish) Infantery Division. Having given quartier to MiniArts British officers (,http://miniart-models.com/HQ_IMAGES/BOX/1_35/35165.jpg) next to the fact that I am, since March 1st, a retired artillery lcol, I consider to build the last version with the Scottish tartan (kilt?) wearing officer. Here comes question 1: is it historicall correct to have him into the office part of the QLR? If so, which pattern does the tartan need?

Waiting for the Part of Poland parts to arrive via mail, I can start the office part. Question 2: what were the war time inside colors of the office? Both floor and walls are in the IBG instructions not specified. I guess, white walls and roofing would be logic, with a green linoleum floor. But, is that right.
Question 3: the outside show detailed vent openings. These are not visible at the inside. How did the look at the inside?
Question 4: The model has three radios at the front side of the office and at the left center side there is some sort of a telephone switch board. Where can I find wiring schemes?

So, the very moment I have the answers which allow the start of the wireless cabin, I will post my pictures ( which in itself is already a challenge!!!)

Thank you all for helping me start,

P.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
Though due the lack of reactions some my questions via this forum are not yet answered, Jadar Model SC from Warszawa has already delivered the ordered etch set from Part of Poland, item 35-254!

It took less than a week between ordering via their website and delivering it by mail in The Netherlands.
The set, which actually is intended for the QLD type, contains a plastic sheet/film with new front windows and an instrument panel. Just remarkable, how little info the two simple clocks have given to the drivers!
Since the cabin type is for all IBG Bedfords the same, the Part of Poland set will certainly add much detail to the QLR too.
The three metal frets replace the incorrect wheel hubs, the spare wheel and fuel cannister racks, next to the front and back mudguards. Furthermore, the front windows can be shown open now, which offers a better sight to the interior since the cabin doors are integrated parts of the side panels.
An option for two types of mirrors is given and the addition of wippers and a direction indicator, which lack in the IBG box.

Now I wonder if Real Model is already working on the correct type of tires and a load for the roof, as seen on the few war time photos of the QLR!!! If so, I will certainly order them, since they come only with high quality stuff.

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC
Here comes question 1: is it historicall correct to have him into the office part of the QLR? If so, which pattern does the tartan need?

Paul,

Whilst the QLR would be most likely a Formation HQ vehicle (Brigade HQ and above) operated by the Royal Signals, there would be nothing to stop say, a Staff Officer (who could be from any Regiment or Corps) visiting the QLR to ensure that a message was being properly transmitted, or even to borrow a desk within the vehicle itself. The processing of any message to the Royal Signals for transmission would normally be the task of the HQ Royal Army Service Corps Staff Clerks, but as I say, if the message were so sensitive and the Staff Officer particularly zealous, you could depict him as planned.

The tartan question is another world of pain but you may find some references and lists of British Army units within the excellent D Day books published by Histoire & Collections.

'Hope this helps.

Brian
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Thanks Brian, highly appreciated.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:01 PM UTC
Today, I started with the business part of the QLR. The front wall, the desk and the right side panel, with its desk and the post boxes were glued together.What stands out is the fact that the plastic, used by IBG is very soft. This not only requires great care by cutting it from the sprues ( all parts are solidly molded to the frames, thus reducing any damage during transport) but also tends to "flow" quite easily after having been in contact with liquid glue. Normally I use Revell Professional and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.
To remove the parts from the sprues I used a new cabble cutter with a flat part. This goes without any difficulties. Care has to be taken during the removal of the plastic from the remains of the sprue connections. There is quite a risk of going in the wrong direction. But the use of new scalpels will solve this for a great part as well.
All together, the fit is perfect, the details are good, but one has to get used to the plastic specialties!

Since my QLR will be inhabited by some MiniArt British officers I will leave open the doors. ( If I can find the Bronco war correspondents, that would be great, since they have some office equipment as well. ) Also, I want to give an atmosphere of activity. Therefore I have cut out a front panel of the integrated desk drawer from the friont desk and build a new one, which is half open. Easy job to do.

Now I have to find out how the vents looked at the inside of the cabin. The are well represented at the outside of the vehicle, however, at the inside there is not any sign of them. I am considering to "hide" them behind maps, an overcoat and all sorts of notes, which are always present in staff cars in awesome numbers.

What is remarkable is the fact that IBG did not office chairs in this model! From the rare photos on the web, they must have been fixed to the cabin floor. But time will give a solution for that, I guess. I just have to find a good photo from an original to copy it in Evergreen.

To be continued soon

Removed by original poster on 04/25/14 - 16:39:23 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 04/25/14 - 16:44:11 (GMT).
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hello Paul,

i found this pic somewhere in the web and don't know who the owner is. But i hope it answers some of your questions.

Happy modelling
Harald
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Harald,

Thanks for the splendid photo.
Very, very useful.

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC
Dear all,

Since there is just little time for modeling due to a business life which sends me all over Europe, horses and a big garden, my Bedford QLR makes slow progress.
With the office part ready, it is time to install the doors. I left them off to avoid damage during construction and painting.) The outside is clear. But how about the inside? Are they painted in the same green as the outside or are they split in an interior green and off-white part? Form reasons of less visibillity I could image that they would have been painted as the outside, but I can not find any photo's on the web.

Also, still open is how these interiors were lighted? Was there a fixed light on the ceiling?

Thanks for helping me out,

P.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Sorry I hadn't looked in before. Two things that should help you are:

The Wings and Wheels book on Bedford QL 3 Ton WWII trucks and Bedford to Berlin by Robert Coates. The WWW provides a very good up close walkaround of the QLs and also contains pics of the QLR in the Belgian Royal & Military History Museum.

There is also a walk around of one I photographed at Duxford a few years back

http://www.armorama.co.uk/features/3956

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 09:34 PM UTC
This build over on Track-Link may be of interest

http://www.track-link.com/gallery/8290

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi, Alan,

Very inspiring build!
I like the last link, where the office part has been re-made: very interesting.
I saw some notices on the doors and above the generator boxes. A hint for Archer, maybe?! This vehicle has quite some different users apparently.

Still, the door color is not visible.

Thanks for helping me out! Good luck with your WW1 build.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Check your PMs.

Cheers

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Though the Bedford QLR seems to be the one from the Bedfors series with the highest number of still running vehicles, detailed photos of the used radio and telephone sets are, to my opinion, rare.
Does anybody know which radio set was used by the Polish artillery in these vehicles? Especially, the wiring is unclear. IBG gives no detail on this, neither to typ or color to use.
Also, I have not the slightest clue about the switch board at the truck's side wall. Was it used as a means of communication between the batteries and the brigade HQ's?
Any help or link to web photos is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

I think that would depend on the trucks usage. It would probably carry several different types No 19, No 11 etc. and a couple of each. I'm afraid I don't know how the switch board operated other than a guess it may have been connected to land lines when set up.

I thought there were some wiring diagrams in the stuff I sent?

Cheers

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Alan, Thanks for your help!
The QL photos showed different types, all from the outside. At least they gave me an impression who to weather and pack my model.
Since I like the mickey mouse camouflage scheme, I stick to the IBG instructions.
However, IBG did not pay any attention to the inside of the truck. Neither the inside of the cabin nor the office part is mentioned. Which is a pitty.
Without any extra effort they could have doene it, I guess (IBG people: hint!)
To the switch board I remember them from my beginning artillery career. But than the question remains if these trucks had outside connectors for the WD1TT wiring to the battery and/or brigade HQ's?
Any way, the model makes fun to assemble though the plastic is quite weak and needs time to cure.
I'll will use some artistic licence for the wiring.

The upcoming IBG artillery tractor version has already been ordered.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

I can send you some wiring diagrams for the No 19 radios and several of how they were wired in other vehicles but I have nothing more on the QLR at the moment.

Cheers

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul,

I can send you some wiring diagrams for the No 19 radios and several of how they were wired in other vehicles but I have nothing more on the QLR at the moment.

Cheers

Al

Hi, Alan,

Thanks

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi fellow-modellers,
The IBG Bedford series do not seem to be very popular, I guess.
Jim started the build of a QLD, but unfortunally I have never seen his build finished.
I have not seen any other driving by yet!
My QLR goes on rather slow due to the fact that IBG has not given any indication about the interior. Though, with Alan's help I came forward finally. (Thanks, Allan!)
In order to add the rather fine details, not part of the IBG supply, I have purchased the Part of Poland etch set for the QLD. It has high quality, adds all the missing cab parts, but I have 1 fuel can holder too few! The QLD has 1, the QLR 2. So, with Part's help as a sample I will scratch build the second one. The ones IBG offers are just a tone too thick. And also miss some fine detail at the bottom of the holder itself.
Now I need some help again:
At the right side of the office there is a holder for hollow poles. The antenna mast I guess. Where they made out of metal/aluminum? If so, scratches would show the metal colour?
And at the top front of the office structure, there is a box with poles again. I guess these are the wooden poles for the camouflage nets, are they? Thanks for helping me out.

I realy will try to put my build photos on this forum, but as a complete digi-stone-age guy I have to wait for help from my kids! (Sorry, I am from the middle ages of the 1900's)

Furthermore, I already have made place on my work bench for the QLB tractor and the AFV 40 mm Bofors. Just a 'must-have' for an artillery guy.

P.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Not sure about the poles but that sounds right. I have the QLR, QLT and QLD to build, just haven't gotten the time yet. I'm very much looking forward to the QLB.

Cheers

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

So we meet again! Thanks for helping me out.
The IBG Bedfords don't seem to be very popular on this forum.

The QLR goes together quite well, though the plastic needs some time to connect. I use the Revell with steel needle and Tamiya extra thin.
Also, the plastic needs a very intensive cleaning before painting. In the beginning even the car primer came off rather easy.

I have to search for my UK driver from MiniArt and see if he fits behind the wheel (of the QLB, since my cabin is already finished)

Just wondering if Archer will come with extra decals. I saw some photos of QL's particpating in the liberation of Belgium and The Netherlands, full of messages by civilians.

Are you planning a Navy version, knowing your love for nautical items?

Thanks again, looking forward to see your Bedfords soon
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

I wasn't but that's an idea lol.

Cheers

Al
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul,

I wasn't but that's an idea lol.

Cheers

Al

I was refering to this one:
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/features/3517&page=2

The photo series show so much to see on a small base (read: the landing craft). Your LCM becomes a complete dio base! I hope to see some more from your hand with Navy vehicles. Just some other colours than the well known OD or British Green!
Just an idea!
But I guess that these kind of trucks didn't come in with smaller landing craft like the LCM............
(though I would love the idea to put a QLB with AA gun in my still empty UK version LCM3! Historically completely wrong I presume.)

The Bedford on the link, by the way, makes clear that the walls of the manhole in the IBG cabin roof are far too thick.

Thanks anyway!

P.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
One thing you will need to add are the boxes for the window blinds on one side of the body - these are above the windows and are present on one side of the body but not the other for some strange reason.

The QLR represents a vehicle with the first type of radio body - which was replaced by the No 3 body (go figure!) - this is the type with the doors at the very front of the body rather than the panel with three sets of louvres.

I'm assuming that as this is the early body, it would be matched with the early QL chassis cab without the hip ring and mudguard strengthening stays. Never say never of course but I suspect that early bodies with late cabs are probably as a result of REME rebuilds.

There were 7 or 8 different types of interior built into these two standard bodies so check your references. At least one of them had the a club armchair of the type fitted in the Dorchester. AFV Club kindly supply 6 such chairs but only require you to fit five so if you have a Dorchester, that's a start. The other chairs are standard British Army wooden folding chairs - as can be seen stowed on the doors in some Dorchester pictures.

To get one of these, I had to scratchbuilt one on an Italeri portee chassis over 30 years ago - so anything has got to be better than that.
 _GOTOTOP