_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Ya Hadda Good Home and Ya Left!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Got a figure to build and I was given carte blanche so..... this is my favorite charactor from the superb movie "Battleground" released in 1949 and acclaimed by critics and veterans alike.
I wanted to capture the "Sarge" named Kinney at the end of the film when they are limping/shuffling out of Bastogne,depleted in numbers,frostbitten,cold, tired and very dirty. But when the Glidermen see some legs approaching in the opposite direction they won't be taken for a"bunch of Wacs" and so pull themselves into a cadence count and proudly leave the"battlegound" with heads held high and singing an appropriate "Jody Song".
I made a very quick guide sketch from the you-tube sequence of Kinney to start with.

If you haven't seen this film,I highly recommend it. Dated....sure but...very accurate from a grunts point of view.

Here is what I have so far. Really just assembled the basic bits and tacked them together to get the rough idea.
Helmet from the Dragon"Varsity" set. Hornet head from a civilian set. Body and limbs from the Dragon"Ardennes" set.
I will have to modify it all to get to the worn down Kinney of course.

The idea is to show him all beat up like the drawing but spitting out the cadence as he pulls himself back together for "unit pride". Something that soldiers in any army can understand.
So....here we go again.
J

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:36 AM UTC
I like your idea. One of my favorite War Movies.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like your idea. One of my favorite War Movies.

Thanks Major!
I will try to do it justice.
J
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
That figgy is screaming for a stogie in the corner of his mouth, Jerry. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, I enjoy watching your work! You do know that James Whitmore who played Kinney was a Marine second looie during World War II, but he carries himself pretty well as a crusty old sergeant.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That figgy is screaming for a stogie in the corner of his mouth, Jerry. ...

I had the exact same thought!

As always, Jer, I'll be looking forward to seeing this guy come together.

Maybe he's just the project you need to find your modeling muse.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

what a superb idea!! I love the movie and thank God every day a DVD is not suffering from repetitive playing like the old video cassettes!!

You will do Kinney justice for sure!!

A more daunting project would perhaps have been Kip putting his teeth back into his mouth.

Will watch this one veeery closely!!!!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC
John,Mike,Romain,
Thanks for looking in so soon! Didn't think I would get any attention on this for a while.
Yes,the stogey was in mind when I picked the face. In the movie,he bit off the end of a stogy and used it as a chaw before he started the cadence but I thought the butt would look cooler in this context.
Weelll. So far I trimmed the steel pot a bit,straightened out the faces hooked nose a little to try to replicate Whitmore.
I cut down the neck more to give some of the "turtle" look he showed in the scene. I removed all of what didn't work for me around the legs and torso. I still have the basic shape of the right arm to bend more as he was resting his wrist on the magazine of the Tommy Gun and dangling his hand down from it.
Ammo belt was stripped of everything but the first aid pouch and left unbuckled. Far far from the parade ground here.
I will start adding putty later today I hope.
J

Ps,
John,
Not only was Whitmore a Leatherneck and an officer but also a Yale Grad!!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
I've never seen the film this is taken from (but I am going to go looking for it now having read what you guys think)- but I have an idea of the kind of look you are going for Jerry from your description and sketch. Great start on it so far- always great to see how you take away the bits you don't want and start re-building it the way you do want it- I reckon we all learn a lot watching how you do it! Best of luck with it mate.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've never seen the film this is taken from (but I am going to go looking for it now having read what you guys think)- but I have an idea of the kind of look you are going for Jerry from your description and sketch. Great start on it so far- always great to see how you take away the bits you don't want and start re-building it the way you do want it- I reckon we all learn a lot watching how you do it! Best of luck with it mate.

Woooah Karl!! You NEED to find this movie!! It will be worth your while to spend the time.
Thanks for checking in on the new project. Yes,I still think it saves time to use this technique as it takes me way more time to build a fig with armatures,etc.
Whatever works,I suppose?
J
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
IIRC, as they prepared to march away from the front, Kinney, who had just gotten a new cigar from a passing tanker, bit it off and started chewing it. As they marched away, he managed to chew and call cadence at the same time.
HORSTHOPF
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 144 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
Great war movie my favorite best part for me was when Holley
and Layton are at the road block.
"I was dreaming I was back in Baltimore loading up on soft shell crabs and beer" WOW!!!!
Great subject will be watching your work of art.

Respectfully

Horst
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Excellent! I love the movie "Battleground"
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IIRC, as they prepared to march away from the front, Kinney, who had just gotten a new cigar from a passing tanker, bit it off and started chewing it. As they marched away, he managed to chew and call cadence at the same time.

Yep,
That is how it happened but this face just calls out for the stogey so I think I will use my artistic license.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks Horst and Darren,for checking in and watching. I will try to keep it interesting anyway,if not informative.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC
As promised,more pics of a bit of progress. I added the first layer of putty. Don't beat me up yet as it isn't blended in as of yet in these pics and there is still much to work on. The helmet lost the front chin strap as the prototype had the straps hanging down. I still need to make the wool"jeep" cap underneath as Kinney was wearing one. Started work on the partly turned up collar of the coat(I believe he picked this coat up off a pile of discarded uniforms from wounded/dead guys as it's an officers' issue coat and earlier in the film he had no coat. There were no buttons on it and he had to use a safety pin at the top to keep it closed. I started"moving" his right arm up more to rest on the mag for the tommy gun. The wraps around his trenchfoot/frostbitten feet gave me fits and are not finished but I made a good start. Tried using tissue paper-no go. Then tried putty,rolled thin- no go. So this is the best I can do,sorry.
Anyway,getting closer to"KInney",my hero.
J

Forgot to add--I think I actually got him to appear as if he is limping. More by chance than by skill maybe,but moving his swinging arm out a bit helped with that illusion.
J
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:10 AM UTC
Nice work again Jerry, I'll be keeping a close watch on this one, just to grab a few tips

Dan
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Jerry - as always, your progress work even looks great! Thanks for posting the step by step - I'm taking notes! Cinema subject - neat idea - looking forward to the next "episode"

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:53 PM UTC
@Dan-thanks for checking in here and for the kind words. That is what it's all about isn't it? Looking in and getting tips? I also do that here. Best part about it.
@Nick-thanks for the kindness buddy. Maybe one day when I grow up I can get as good as you are building vehicles and buildings!!
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:49 PM UTC

Hi Jerry,

fantastic show m8!!! You clearly demonstrate how small details add up to perform miracles!!

The last photo -when compared to the previous one- gives exactly that effect....he now IS limping!!!!

I don't believe it's only luck....YOU did it!!!

And the wrapped feet look great too....however, you have failed to tell us the present method!! You just stated what DIDN'T work!!!

Just brilliant Sir!!

Cheers

Romain
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:16 AM UTC
Well thanks Romain,for the kind words. What did work? Well,it was my old tried and true use of wine bottle lead foil. Cut into varying width strips and a lot of cursing. This was because I used two different pieces of foil and one seemed to be resistant to super glue,
Superglue is my nemesis. When I need it to glue something together fast because of an akward position or delicate piece then it never sets and dries. If I need to slightly reposition a small part then of course it dries INSTANTLY!! AND glues my fingers together.
So I treat superglue sort of like a minefield. You want the mines to protect your position,but you never really trust the minefield card you get from the previous unit.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

This will make a great subject, I remember the film well.

Look forward to developments.

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well thanks Romain,for the kind words. What did work? Well,it was my old tried and true use of wine bottle lead foil. Cut into varying width strips and a lot of cursing. This was because I used two different pieces of foil and one seemed to be resistant to super glue,
Superglue is my nemesis. When I need it to glue something together fast because of an akward position or delicate piece then it never sets and dries. If I need to slightly reposition a small part then of course it dries INSTANTLY!! AND glues my fingers together.
So I treat superglue sort of like a minefield. You want the mines to protect your position,but you never really trust the minefield card you get from the previous unit.
J

Couldn't desbribe it better!!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Couldn't describe it better!!!

LouU24
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
Jerry,

Awesome subject matter here, "Battleground" was a classic indeed, full of interesting characters, but none more so than Sgt. Kinney! Love how the figure is coming together so far and I'm looking forward to more updates.
BTW, your description of superglue mirrors my experiences with the stuff to a tee!!

Lou
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Awesome subject matter here, "Battleground" was a classic indeed, full of interesting characters, but none more so than Sgt. Kinney! Love how the figure is coming together so far and I'm looking forward to more updates.
BTW, your description of superglue mirrors my experiences with the stuff to a tee!!

Lou

Thanks Lou,
Glad you checked in. It's kind of nice to work on a small project with only one figgie. I am pretty sure this way I will at least finish it!
J
 _GOTOTOP