Hosted by Darren Baker
1/6 FT-17 Turret Emplacement
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC
Some of you might remember me from last year when I tried making a 1/16 working pantherturm (which still sits on my shelf unfinished). Well I'm back with a new CNC machine and a more ambitious project. A 1/6 FT-17 turret emplacement made out of aluminum.

I'm trying to start my own little business with the machine (making masters and patterns). But while the paperwork is floating around I figured I'd try and make something cool.
I picked FT turret since it's not an entire vehicle (not as overwhelming); it's mainly flat pieces of metal bolted together (easier to make); and I like WWI equipment (even if it's in WWII).

I found some blueprints and drew up some plans in SketchUp. They aren't finished, just the gun/mantlet, the back hinges, and some connecting pieces need to be done.

And my first successful cut into aluminum! Wasted two endmills and some aluminum stock before I finally got to this.

It's the left side turret panel seen here,

I also made a master of the top part of the turret (still need to do the bottom part since it will be a two part mold). I'm planning on casting it in white metal to go with the overall aluminum construction. Ruler shown alongside to give you an idea of the size.

Not even an hour ago I was trying to mill out another panel when the stock slipped. Ended up destroying another endmill, good thing I order them in two's.

Ideally I'd like to make a part a day, but who knows what other snags I'll hit. But I'll try to keep you guys posted.
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Back from the dead! After that first post I quickly ruined some more end mills and aluminum stock, got a bit discouraged and busied myself with some other projects.

But after successfully milling some acrylic sheet, I thought I'd give aluminum another try. Well, So far so good.

Here's my current progress. Taped up while I wait for screws.

It's been a week or so now, and I'm trying for making a part a day. My plan is to fasten the plates together like the real thing, with screws and bent pieces of metal. This presents some more challenges. But we'll see in the next few days.

I hate to mention this, because I don't want to get too ahead of myself... But I started making parts for the hull. This project might just get a lot bigger in scope.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Looks like you've got a pretty good start on it this time. It'll be interesting to see the progress.

I always wondered what happened to the pantherturm project. That, too, was interesting.
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC
Right now the Pantherturm is sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust. Too many little things. I didn't like the 3d printed masters, my own attempts at machining masters was terrible, the electronics weren't working great... Eventually lost interest.
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC
Made another two pieces this morning, the keyboard in the background gives a sense of scale.

Two more pieces and I'll have the turret structure all done. Next step I think would be to fasten it all together with screws, whenever they come in the mail.

After that I may just start working on the hull.
 _GOTOTOP