_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Tamiya Churchill
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi everyone, sorry for the long long long delay but the perks of being away from home means no WiFi internet so I can't upload any photos as it wont let me do it over my mobile internet. Any ways I'm waffling. So over the last few weeks I went out and treated myself to a Tamiya Churchill tank.

As I said on one of my early forums I'm looking at making an European Farm Diorama but over the last few weeks I've been thinking more and more what I'm going to put in it, and the verdict is its going to be a the lead spear head of the British Army advancing over northern France. With that I'm going to look at adding some British Infantry, a couple of Universal Bren Gun Carriers and a Churchill tank.

So with out further do, I introduce my Churchill tank. As with all my models I always start now with a coat of grey primer.

I kept the model broken down into its main parts. Actually made it so much easier to paint.

I know the picture doesn't really bring up the colours well but this is the main parts sprayed up with tamiya's XF61 I think it was, and then added some brown and gave certain areas that field of depth in the colour.

From there I added the decals and then gave it a good dry brushing with a light vellajo green which worked surprisingly well.

After a few more coats with some silver and green dry brushing I gave it a good blasting over with the silk matt coat to lock it all in then put it all together.

So all that's where I'm at now with the tank. Now just to start the weathering process and then that's the first part of the Dio all done.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hello Si;

LOOKS GOOD !! I like it, and your Dio, sounds like a Winner. The Churchill was one of my Favorite British vehicles, esp; the Petard Version. I will be Following your build with great interest.

CHEERS; MIKE.
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 09:51 PM UTC
Cheers Mike, I'm off out today so I might treat myself to the bren gun carrier as the second part of the Dio.

thanks!!
mparham02
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:42 PM UTC
Looks great! I am currently building the same kit. I look for to seing the dio progress

SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 10:47 PM UTC
Thank you mark, not sure how your finding it but i think its a really good model, nice an simple and a pleasure to build
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi Si;

Your choice for the second vehicle sounds Good also,
and maybe one of Hobarts Funnies.

CHEERS; MIKE.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
Churchill - one of my favourite WW2 tanks. I've built a few and absolutely love the AFV Club versions - especially the AVREs. But, I have to say that despite its age, the Tamiya kit has scrubbed up beautifully thanks to a wonderful effort by you. Well done

Gary
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
Mike - Well I was thinking maybe a funny or a recovery tank, but I'm imagining it more that's it's the most forward of British troops, so the reconnaissance veh (Bren gun carriers) breifing the infantry and the Churchill. But I've just been out today and I've just treat myself toone of Tamiya's Universal Carrier. So stand by for more WIP of that.

Gary - Thanks Gary, yeah really nice model. I built a AFV Dorchester a while back and absolutely loved it, real quality model.

Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 06:22 AM UTC
Si

Greetings, any more progress on your dio? I am just getting into armour. Commonwealth tanks and just got a church il VII for 5$ I guess that is a good deal right. I too have it planned for a dio with troops in a street. I am following yours with interest as I have an idea for a farm yard with an m10.

Eugene
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Eugene, yeah $5 is a steal lol Hope you enjoy it.

The Dio's coming along slowly, been in the process of getting a house so my time has be used for other things, however this is the link to the dio build if you want to keep a watch on it.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/222886&page=1#1883690

Looking forward to seeing your M10 dio, what idea have you got in your mind???

Cheers

Si
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

churchill VII for 5$ I guess that is a good deal right.

5 bucks for that kit is a steal! It's a great kit, but does need a few things to make it totally accurate for trhe Normandy period. Out of the box it's suitable for very late WW 2 and Korea.

I'd replace the gun barrel at least as the kit one is significantly undersized.

Regarding the Universal Carrier, the one reall problem with the kit is the tracks which arfe simply awful. The links are almost twice a large, lengthwise as they should be. There are far too few links in the Tamiya track and the sprocket, therefore has too few teeth. A close look at photos of the real thing will show the difference.

Other than that, the kit is much simplified and quite out of date. However, the new Riich kit is like building several scale wristwatches as there are a huge number of parts and many of them are very, very, very small.

Resicast offer updates for the Tamiya kit that cost more money, but are a good compromise between the Riich and the Tamiya.

And regarding AVREs being at the head of the assault, for the attacks on the Channel lports, the AVREs were right up there as an integral part of the assaults, frequently shooting the Canadian and British soldiers into their objectrives and silencing strongpoints. Remember, AVRE stands for _Assault_ Vehicle Royal Engineers.

:)

This is not to say anyone _has_ to do any of what I suggest, just that there are options that can increase accuracy if you want it.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP