_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AEC Armoured Car Mk II
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Has anyone built the Mk I, II or II yet? I am just starting on the MK II. I want to put it in NWE so markings are not too much of a problem but I'm having problems trying to find images of the engine colour. Can anyone help me out with either a helpful blog, photos or walk-around site. I am assuming that the Matador engine colour would be the same.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

cheers

Kevin
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
It seems a good bet that the engine colour would be the same but I'm insufficiently knowledgeable about AEC to say.

However, are you sure thsat any Mk IIs saw service in NW Europe? 2HCR, The Inns of Court and the Royals had Mk IIIs but I think 11H had 75mm halftracks. I don't recall seing any indication of Mk IIs in 21AG in either the war diaries of the RAC half-yearly reports.

However, as far as I know, the only external difference was the main armament so you might be able to get away with changing that to a sapare or aftermarket 75mm.
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems a good bet that the engine colour would be the same but I'm insufficiently knowledgeable about AEC to say.

However, are you sure thsat any Mk IIs saw service in NW Europe? 2HCR, The Inns of Court and the Royals had Mk IIIs but I think 11H had 75mm halftracks. I don't recall seing any indication of Mk IIs in 21AG in either the war diaries of the RAC half-yearly reports.

However, as far as I know, the only external difference was the main armament so you might be able to get away with changing that to a sapare or aftermarket 75mm.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am sure that I have read somewhere of their use. But it looks like a bit more research needed. If that is the case that only the MK III's were used then it looks like a conversion.
The other external difference that I know of is that the commanders turret hatch is a single piece opening outwards from the left
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Kevin

Have you seen Peter Brown's handy summary of the 21AG a/c holdings at http://www.warwheels.net/BritACsInEurope44_45BROWN.html ?

His findings seem to confirm that only the 75mm-armed Mk III was issued there.

Thanks for the tip about the hatch - I wasn't aware of that.
 _GOTOTOP