_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Options for updating an Italeri M24 Chaffee
Jannicke
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi all,

So I have pulled an Italeri M24 kit from my stash and am planning to make a start on it soon. The kit is the more recent iteration with the individually linked tracks instead of the old vynil ones and the early style lower hull which is good as I am looking to make this a WW2 build.

I am looking at options to bring the kit up to a modern standard and as there are etch and resin kits available from several manufacturers for this kit (Verlinden, Eduard, Royal Model etc.) I am hoping for some guidance as to the relative pros and cons of them.

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks, Jan
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
I think the Verlindens were for the original release, not sure about the others.

Do a google search for Italeri xxxx M24 Chafee, where xxxx is the box number for the WW2 model, that will give you an idea of what (might) be available.

Once you start the resin/upgrade route, you are .... doomed!

This will also rapidly approach/exceed the cost of the late box Bronco M24 with the corrected turret.

Treat it as a fun build, as it's still a nice kit, & looks like a Chaffee. I built this so last century, with aftermarket Metal WW2 style tracks, older than the sum of all my kid's ages.... may find it & finish it one day....
Malvin
Visit this Community
Severocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 08:59 PM UTC
can i use this accesories set
http://www.fast-webstore.com/www-vt-models-cz/eshop/9-1-AFV-35/0/5/70-M24-Chaffe-acces-set
Malvin
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
Try looking on here...

http://www.scalemates.com/search.php?section=0&q=%22M24+Chaffee%22&qs=Search

Paul
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
I have this kit in my stash along with many updates to try and bring it up to date .. I bought the Formations update kit when it can out and I must say it is a great improvement over the base kit .. I think the only thing you keep from the Italeri kit is the lower hull and the rear part of the wheels ... That plus a set of Friuls and a metal barrel .. Oh yeah a couple of sets of PE to go along with the rest. Now with kits like Bronco and the soon to be released AFV Club kits make all this pretty much useless .
So , what I would suggest is build it "as is" and if you really like the look of the Chaffee , buy yourself one of the new kits and build it as a comparison of where model kits have come from in the last 30 some years..

Rick
Jannicke
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Thanks for your thoughts guys. The kit is pretty long in the tooth as you say, and after looking at the more modern offerings I think it is as you say, best to just build it as is. Luckily the last re-release of the Italeri chaffee includes a metal barrel for the 75mm main gun and the individually linked tracks appear to be an improvement over the old vinyl ones from the earlier releases.

I might slip in a replacement for the machine guns as the kit ones dont look so great, we'll see. That depends how cheap I can pick up a set over the next few months. The Academy machine gun set looks like an improvement over the kit ones and doesn't cost a great deal.

What has appeared in my research is that AFV Club have a kit of the NM116 norwegian upgraded Chaffee available...guess what is next on my list, hehe. The NM116 is pretty obscure, but I have a real soft spot for the Chaffee and Walker bulldog so I won't be able to resist it.

Thanks again, Jan
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
I had a kit of the even older version of this when Bronco announced their kits. I had intended to give it the works, but with much better kits available, decided to do an OOTB build as a post-war Italian version...

Damon.
 _GOTOTOP