_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Royal Marine Sherman Normandy
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 01:49 PM UTC

Sorry for the dupe, started this topic in the wrong area before.

Anyway, I want to do a Royal Marine Sherman V from Normandy.

My starting point would be either a Formations M4A4 hull or a Tasca Firefly, V, not the IC. My main concern would be what turret to get, not a Sherman expert at all, I know the basics, but not all the low bustle, high bustle, late early stuff.

I have the Bison decal set with the proper markings.

Thanks,

Jimmy
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 02:18 PM UTC
Tasca make an M4A4 which would probably be suitable. Kit number 35016... you can still find them around.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
As Steve says just get the Tasca Sherman V. If you already have a Sherman V hull then you need an early Low Bustle Turret which will have a pistol port. The Tasca V has all the parts in the box to do this OOB. The Vc kit will require significant work on the turret as it already has the rear of the bustle cut out like the real thing
CHeers
Al
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 06:12 PM UTC
As above, you best option is the Sherman V (M4A4) kit from Tasca which can be built virtually OOTB as it has the correct low bustle turret and M34 gun mount. I'd say that the tracks are the T62 type which are also in the Tasca kit so you'll just need the decals and you're onto a winner.

Gary
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 12:38 AM UTC

Thanks for the replies gentleman.

I agree that getting the Tasca kit would probably be the easiest way to go but since I have the Formations hull, a Tasca suspension set and some AFV club tracks already I figured it would be a little cheaper to just get a turret.

I also have a Tasca Firefly kit and a turret swap on that would probably work too I think.

Would this Turret from Legends work? http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/30065.html?t=1404389701

Thanks again,

Jimmy
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 12:57 AM UTC
It would but you might save yourself some money if you posted a request on this site (and others) classified page requesting a 1/35 Sherman low bustle turret . The one from Tamiya's kit is perfectly usable. Lots of other resin companies did these as well (Tank Workshop, Formations, CMD). I bet guys have them lying around, unused.

You'd have to supply the M34 mantlet parts (heck, I have some in my spares bin that you can have).
 _GOTOTOP