_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Fixo Third Hand
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
There is a new start up tool manufacture out there with a new tool that at first look could be a great tool for workbench, well it is a must have. I have been given the opportunity from Fixo to try out the prototype and I must say I am very impressed.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Looks great, but a little complicated with the whole start-up venture thing. I hope they do well and wish them luck. Reminds me of product design projects we did back in art & design school.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
Interesting, but dead before it was really born... They have less than 500 euro of the required 20k euro. And their fundraising campaign ends in three days.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC
A 6 week campaign to raise 20k? Alrighty then. It looks like a neat concept and so on, but I can see why many are not jumping in on the fund me bandwagon. They'd have to sell a boat load of those just to cover molding costs. They'd be better off selling the design to someone else to produce before somebody in a country where patents and so forth are not taken seriously beat them to the punch.

Kimmo
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 11:38 AM UTC
nifty idea but as the others have said they are no where near their target and looking at their time table the end of July is the go no go decision and no offence they don't state what happens if they don't go ahead ie the money that po?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 11:40 AM UTC
I really hope it works out for them, this has to be one of the most handy tools I have used. This will be a definite on my workbench from now on. It it s great tool, and very well built.
Disith
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 11:43 AM UTC
people donated usually I would think about donating but I'm just not comfortable with losing money with no hope of seeing a finished product or the money again my wife does that enough anyway I wish them the best of luck though and I really hope we see this in the shops in the future
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 08:01 PM UTC
The rubbery coating on the clips/clamps seems like a good innovation. The rest is more or less similar to this "third hand":

Which can be found in this web-store:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/tools/tools2.php

The trouble with this type of tool is that they can not hold the item being worked on "solidly" enough.
The grip is usually good enough for airbrushing but that is about all, at least in my experience ....

I guess that the lack of interest in the fundraising is that too many who might have been interested know that similar tools already exist .....
/ Robin
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The rubbery coating on the clips/clamps seems like a good innovation. The rest is more or less similar to this "third hand":

Which can be found in this web-store:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/tools/tools2.php

The trouble with this type of tool is that they can not hold the item being worked on "solidly" enough.
The grip is usually good enough for airbrushing but that is about all, at least in my experience ....

I guess that the lack of interest in the fundraising is that too many who might have been interested know that similar tools already exist .....
/ Robin

I have the above mentioned third hand, and it is always tricky to get it set to hold intrigue pieces with both clasps are you constantly have to adjust and tighten. This tool from Fixo takes all that away, moves and adjusts extremely easily.

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 01:00 AM UTC
the ball and socket does seem like it would be superior to the 3rd hand joint setup, maybe they should consider going to machined aluminum and eliminate or reduce those mold building costs.

Sean
 _GOTOTOP