_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cyberhobby M4A4 75mm a question about lights
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 05:28 PM UTC
I've got Cyberhobbys M4A4 super value pack. There's a sprue of clear parts included but the instructions say to only use a few of the parts.

When I've checked the parts they say not to use -- parts such as C2 (the 2 front headlights) and parts C4 (the rear lights)....they look very, very similar to the non clear parts they say to use.

Is it possible Dragon's made a mistake on the instructions and these clear parts should be used?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 05:54 PM UTC
The Cyberhobby value kits have tons of extra parts, some of them seemingly chosen or excluded at random. Most "extra parts" are not for the particular version they intend you to build, but lights are fairly universal with slight changes over the years.
So, if you choose, go ahead and use the clear lights and paint the outside. Paint the back of the headlight silver before you paint it OD so you get a little reflection in there. The tail lights are red and white, so there's not much advantage there. Use Tamiya clear red and you'll get some depth in the lens.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 11:50 AM UTC
Thanks for that and for reminding me to paint the back of the lights silver. The 2 front lights are just one clear piece so I'll mask off the front lens then paint the rest silver then a coat of drab so the silver will be seen through the lens.
The actual non clear lights they say to use are poorly moulded anyway so the clear ones should hopefully look a lot better.

The clear lights don't fit the holes properly as the bases are too big so I'll have to make the holes wider.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The clear lights don't fit the holes properly as the bases are too big so I'll have to make the holes wider.

And that's why they say not to use those clear pieces, they nominally don't fit.

Paul
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 11:42 PM UTC
This kit? You can use whatever you want lol. Most of the time you get an old part & a new part of the same piece in the kit..you can use either the old or new..doesn't matter.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This kit? You can use whatever you want lol. Most of the time you get an old part & a new part of the same piece in the kit..you can use either the old or new..doesn't matter.

I think it's basically the same kit as that but mine has the closed wheels and not the spoked.

Dragons instructions from what I've read (and found out once or twice) often have mistakes so maybe they forgot to mention more of the clear parts could be used?
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 12:28 PM UTC
In my experience, ALL manufacturers instructions are to be taken with a large dose of salts! And assembly sequences are laughable, usually (and lazily) showing all possible parts to attach on one diagram with no allowance made for joining major parts, filling and sanding gaps, painting etc.

All part of 'the challenge' lol!
 _GOTOTOP