_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
US GMC CCKW 750 Gallon Tanker
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
I got my mits on the HB Tanker, & noting the comments above, I submit my tuppeny ha'porth to the discussion.

I haven't seen any size comparisons with the eponymously genteelly elderly Italeri Closed Cab Water Tanker, currently on re-release with D-Day Anniversary Flash on the box.

So I've compared them & put lots of pics on my Club website here EastMids Model Club

Side-by-Side.

In my Shadow.

& Can't hide!

Dimensions in mm;
Door:
Height: HB:23.4mm IT:24.55mm
Waistline at moulding: HB:21.7mm IT:23.08mm
Width at bottom of door: HB:23.4mm IT:24.55mm

Other DMs;
Bonnet:
Width: HB:34.74mm IT:34.94mm
Length HB:37.61mm IT:35.03mm
(over side of bonnet)

Wings:
Width: HB:16.26mm IT:16.09mm
Length HB:71.35mm IT:68.38mm

Grille:
Width: HB:40.18mm IT:39.22mm
Length HB:16.64mm IT:16.73mm

Tyres:

Dia: HB:26.32mm IT:25.05mm
IT tyres are thought to be undersize anyway?

Cab:
Width at base: HB:44.38mm IT:41.88mm
Width at waist: HB:44.02mm IT:43.24mm
Height not measured, as not possible to get consistent measure points, see pic.

Screens: HB screen in 2 1/2's IT in 1 'v' shape.
Height of front windscreen: HB:10.82mm IT:09.12mm
1/2 width of split-screen: HB:17.55mm IT:16.09mm

Rear Screen: HB rear screen in brass PE mesh.
Width: HB:17.99mm IT:19.02mm
Height: HB:07.98mm IT:07.01mm

Conclusion: The HobbyBoss cab & Doors look 'squished' **WHEN COMPARED** to the Italeri.

I'm not planning to build this soon, in any variation, but Dimensionally, it shouldn't be too hard to drop-in the Italeri cab over the HB Chassis without too much effort.

THE HB kit does have a very comprehensive engine though...

And Finally...
The HB sprue does have a fair few gaps in the gate layout & one part left on (B7, 2nd row down, left) does look awfully like the soft-top screen?

Still worth the effort?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks Jon for your definative work on this question!

Looks to be that the HB hood is too long and the cab is too short(shallow). Looks like I will be using the Italeri cab, bonnet and fenders for my fuel truck!

Italeri tires have always been too small - the Tamiya Deuce tires are the best looking ones on the market other than resin. (But Mr. T why no raised sidewall lettering?)

The same HB sprue will produce either the open or closed cab. The manufacture simply blocks the sprue gates to whichever version they are NOT making at the time.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
OK this is not my strong suit but here goes:

Actual bottom width of door as measured from WWII Museum in New Orleans = 34.25 inches.

Convert inches to millmeters: 34.25 x 25.4 = 869.95mm

Divide 869.95mm by 35 to get correct 1/35th scale width of door bottom = 24.86mm

Jon measured bottom of HB 1/35th scale door and came up with 23.43mm

Actual door reduced to 1/35th scale should measure 24.86mm minus HB's 23.43mm = 1.43mm difference(1.43mm too short)

Scaling up the difference in door width: 1.43mm x 35 = 50.05mm

In other words the bottom edge of the HB door is roughly 2 inches too narrow!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC
By-the-way here are photos of the vehicle I measured last week at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans:

All photos copyright: Michael Koenig 2014 - All Rights Reserved.

armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Jon thank you that's what I wanted to see how the cab parts from H B and Ital looked next to each other.
Saw this about another H B kit. Hobby Boss has posted an update correcting the turret mounted machine gun on the upcoming Leopard 2A4. Maybe when they get around to releasing a S W B they will post an update about correcting the cab parts on it.
Michael great pics from the D-Day museum.
Something else about the H B kit just came to mind if they got the closed cab wrong could they have open cab measurements wrong to.
DaveM
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know HobbyBoss is probably shipping this model as we speak but I really think they should stop the presses and go no further until they have fixed this gross error. If not this model will forever be delegated to the ranks of the "compromised models" along with the recent M103 and the M6. (And I will also include the current MAZ 537 in that list.)

White 666 also.
http://armorama.com/forums/216088&page=1
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC
I would like to amend my statement about H B having the open cab measurements wrong. On any open cab kit they will use these same molds they are using now so with the hood and side panel's to long they will also have an inaccurate open cab kit to.
Oh well build up a good supply of Ital cabs.
DaveM
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC
I thought I'd show another comparison photo of the front fenders. I saw one of the Hobby Boss kits built up and the running boards stuck out behind the cab pretty far.

It also looks like I'll be using the Italeri cab to build this one.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 04:27 AM UTC
Yep, the HB fenders are too long in order to make up for the cab being too short!

On a related note: There probably are not many out there with as deep a spares box of Deuce parts as I have but if interested, let me point out that the Tamiya Deuce fenders, bonnet and hood will work perfectly with the Italeri closed cab.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
John nice to see another piece of H B kit compared side by side with another kits part.
Beside being to long does the profile seem off, to much curvature running from the top of the fender to the step or is that just a trick of the camera lens if not then that would explain why the fenders are to long.
So lets see so far with the H B kit you have the cab,doors and fenders being way off and the tires being off a little.
DaveM

Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John nice to see another piece of H B kit compared side by side with another kits part.
Beside being to long does the profile seem off, to much curvature running from the top of the fender to the step or is that just a trick of the camera lens if not then that would explain why the fenders are to long.
So lets see so far with the H B kit you have the cab,doors and fenders being way off and the tires being off a little.
DaveM

Yeah Dave, you guessed it. The profile is way off compared to the Italeri part.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 01:31 PM UTC
With all the pic's Jon in England and John in Ohio posted it pretty much makes it a closed case that H B team had an error on their measurements .
Jon in the thread Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half there are some pic's showing the open cab side's, back and floor along with the closed cab parts. But I would make a guess that that cab is also short because you are using the fenders, hood and the side's of the hood from the same molds that the closed cab is on.
Did a check on those test pic's the open cab parts were on the same tree as the fenders so I'm pretty sure that cab is a loss to.
DaveM
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, the HB fenders are too long in order to make up for the cab being too short!

On a related note: There probably are not many out there with as deep a spares box of Deuce parts as I have but if interested, let me point out that the Tamiya Deuce fenders, bonnet and hood will work perfectly with the Italeri closed cab.

That Makes a Three Kit Mashup!

I have somewhere the Studebaker closed cab, which 'might' be a donor?

AND an old Airmodel VAC of the Studebaker cab....

Any Studebaker experts know if it carried the Tanker(s) Water or Petrol?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any Studebaker experts know if it carried the Tanker(s) Water or Petrol?

I haven't found any "official" water tanker version, but here are three fuel truck variants :

US6 model U5 750 US gal (2,800 l) tanker truck :

In Soviet service

BZ-35S :

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That Makes a Three Kit Mashup!

Well up till now I have been using the new Tamiya chassis and fender combo and just adding the Italeri cab but yes, the process I am talking about might require parts from all three manufactures which is why I mentioned the depth and size of my Deuce spares box!

However the Italeri fenders and bonnet are all perfectly usible for this conversion (so only a two kit mashup) but require some modifications, as in cutting out the partial engine oil pan to allow the use of the very nice full HB engine.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
So we take the engine and the tank body from HB and add those to an Iteleri chassis-cab combo ?
And if we have a spare Studebaker we can just replace
the load bae with the tank body and be happy ?
Sounds like a plan, can't have too many of those trucks ... :-)
/ Robin
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 04:10 AM UTC
Three weeks ago I didn't realise I should have measured the fender as well. Live and learn

PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
Has anyone compared HB's CCKW w/ Bofors open cab to other kits? I can't remember any negative comments there, so that might be usable once it comes out?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
I think the Bofors suffers the same problems but since it is an open cab and the model itself is so long and low the problem isn't as noticeable.

I would suggest you instead use the Tamiya fenders, hood and cab for the HB Bofors version to correct this model. It should be a near drop-in substitution/change-out.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a subject that I want. It looks good to me. I have the old Testors/Italeri/ (Peerless Max? ) tanker and would like a modern kit - this should do it!

F.Y.I. Just to be clear, the old Italeri tank truck is for potable water transport whereas the new Hobby Boss offering portrays the 750 gallon fuel tanker truck. Both WWII US trucks existed in reality but were used for entirely different purposes.
 _GOTOTOP